Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    4sher            07-22-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
Ok, X-45 owners, what's the best ballast setup. Going to ride with a friend who has one and we need to know how much and where to put it. The boat has the full stock ballast system and we have access to lots of extra ballast sacs. Thanks
Old     (gotwakex45)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-22-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
i had an x-45, kinda tricky but fill up what ever side of the stock ballast that you ride on, the middle ballast, and put a few fat sacks in the front of the boat and under the passengers seat. i have an x80 now, wow so easy all you have to do is fill up all the stock ballast and you have the biggest wake ever.... have fun bro
Old     (surf_elf)      Join Date: May 2008       07-23-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
Do you have any pics of your x80 in action I have always thought it would be good boat for surfing.
Old     (dubsac)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-18-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
I like to run with a lot of ballast. Usually I fill the port and center stock ballast tanks. Then we put one 750 in the rear port locker, another 750 on the seat right in front of it (rear port corner) plus three 375 bags and one fat buddy, which weighs around 150. We use one 375 bag on the floor to help keep the 750 from rolling off the seat, another in front of it on the observer seat (or in the cooler area) and one along the bow port side. The fat buddy is great as you can move it around to tweak. The rear locker 750 is hard to fill up completely, we usually leave it around 3/4 full.

When my goofy friends ride, we leave out one of the 375 bags and go with the same setup, reversed.

The above setup puts up a huge wave when you have 3-5 people in the boat. With more people subtract ballast.

Mark - please post any pictures or video when you get it dialed! Here is a video of me riding behind my boat - one of my buddies hiked out the side for a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIL_2pONqHM
Old     (morganmac)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-22-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
Will,
Sweet. I just wakesurfed behind my x-45 for the first time Sunday. Just picked up two 540's to add weight. little shocked by the amount of weight you have gone with, but from the vid it is obviously working.

Looked like you were going pretty fast. How fast do you usually ride? Also have you tried the elongated left hand turn thing?
Old     (dubsac)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-23-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
Hey morganmac,

What engine do you have in your x45? I have the 6.0L crusader engine. We usually run anywhere between 10-12mph. With the amount of ballast we run, the throttle is sometimes pretty close to wide open. This boat can take a lot of weight though, and you will find the surfing wave gets better and better as you add ballast.
Old     (morganmac)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-23-2008, 10:05 PM Reply   
MCX, but we usually don't have that many bodies on the boat. Wife, 2 kids and a couple friends usually. I'm thinking the stock plus the 2 540's to start and then I'll see about adding a couple 400 or 540's slowly to figure out where we need the weight. I'm thinking I'll need some more up front/mid-way point.