Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-25-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
Now that it's cool enough outside to need it again, I finally got around to this project. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/688353.html

It was TOO EASY!

$12 piece of plexiglass from Home Depot. Bought felt bud didn't need it. Used cardboard template to test in place prior to cutting plexi. I made the width 1/4" larger than exact measurement so walk-thru cushion would hold it in place. Taped plexiglass before cutting. Filed rounded bevel edges on all sides of plexiglass. Edges were so smooth I did not need the felt (simple is better). Easily fits in rear locker on engine wall. Total project time: less than an hour.

Finished plexi dam
Upload

In place
Upload

Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-25-2009, 5:47 PM Reply   
So you made the plexy larger and crammed it between
the vinyl that's how it's supposed to stay in place. Is this project done?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-25-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   

(Message edited by krbaugh on November 25, 2009)
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-25-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
Done.

As you can see, it's higher at the top and it leans back so that the edge on the floor won't slide back. It's wedged in the cushions but not super firmly. I doubt it's going anywhere as the wind isn't that strong. But perhaps a water test is in order this weekend!

Several benefits: Clean looking. Light & easy to store. Nothing screwed into or attached to the boat (clips or glides) so that when the door is not in place, you'd never know there was one.

But G, this project is too easy/quick/uninvolved for a DIY'r of your calibur.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-25-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
Andy Im about 6 years ahead of you.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/44671.html
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-25-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-25-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
Ha ha, I bet his EQ is on the right hand side too!

Andy, do you ever get water in the front of your boat? I'd like to have a wind dam but we need to run a bow cover to keep the odd bow wave out.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-26-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
So you made the plexy larger and crammed it between
the vinyl that's how it's supposed to stay in place. Is this project done?
So funny!

It is an easy and cost effective measure for everybody out there. Thanks Andy for showing us the minimalist's way to add a wind screen.

Darren, no way you still get waves over the bow even as dumped as you run your V210.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-26-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
nice! I got the same thing in my boat, works great! I love it in the winter!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-26-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
Darren,

Rarely do I get water over the bow. It's happened maybe 2-3 times since I've owned it (last 3 years). At least one of these was with a novice driver. Although, I don't weigh my boat as much as you do (yet) - I only have about 700 lbs in ballast up front.

G - like your red with Nautique logo!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottog1979 View Post
Darren,

Rarely do I get water over the bow. It's happened maybe 2-3 times since I've owned it (last 3 years). At least one of these was with a novice driver. Although, I don't weigh my boat as much as you do (yet) - I only have about 700 lbs in ballast up front.
Depending on how much water you take over the bow, if you do it with a bow cover in place, you run the risk of the water coming up over the bow cover, then over the windshield & dumping right in your face!
Most people get it after it happens once. Some people need it a 2nd time before they catch on.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-26-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
What the hell Bill? Resurrecting a year and a half old thread?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-26-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
LOL. I just figured out how it happened.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-26-2011, 2:43 PM Reply   
Threw me for a loop too!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-26-2011, 6:49 PM Reply   
Its going to take it's toll on your vinyl. Kinda why Sanger puts the channels there on the later boats... Whats to keep it from blowing in at speed?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-27-2011, 2:10 AM Reply   
Seeing as we are resurrecting old posts I'd like to add that after 8 years and 900 hrs I love my V210 still. That is all, carry on.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-27-2011, 6:36 AM Reply   
I made some wind dam kits for some members of another web sight I just copied what the factory did.I bought some 1/2" aluminum channel cut it to length drilled the mounting holes then put the pieces in the blast cabinet and hit them with some glass shot which gave the channel a nice finished frosted look.Once installed I used 1/2" Velcro the soft side to line the channel.For the wind dam I had a local plastic shop cut them out using tinted plexi.Total cost to make was around $100 per kit which is much cheaper than the factory kit.Here are a couple pics the first pic shows the kit I put together the second pic shows the factory wind dam on the right and the one I had made on the left
Attached Images