Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-07-2013, 11:47 PM Reply   
After a year of looking and saving, I thought I had found the perfect boat. 2001 xstar, advertised as the 330hp motor, 290 hours, mint condition, etc. I call the seller which happened to be a dealer, and saw the boat in person while it was being "detailed". Did a quick look over, talked some numbers, but couldn't agree on a price. I leave and he calls me back and we agree to 22500 out the door, if I pay for the service from the shop next door. Ok, I agree (all verbal) and the seller wants a 500 dollar deposit from me to hold it while its services before I take it on the water.

I give the seller the deposit, but make sure to use my credit card in case it goes south. Again, zero paperwork, all verbal. Boat is serviced and we take it out. Off the bat I notice the motor is the 310, it has 350 hours, it has no cover, dirty all over, the ballast doesn't fill or empty, and the perfect pass isn't engaging. We take it back to the dealer and I ask the owner to fix the non working items. He says I'm welcome to, but he's not fixing anything. Argument ensues and I tell him it's a totally different boat than advertised and I want my deposit back. His co worker steps in and offers to fix the items not working or missing. Ok, I tell him I can pick it up Monday since I'm on a business trip till Sunday.

Today he calls me and says everything is ready to pick up. I said ok, we'll take care of it Monday. He starts demanding an additional 1k deposit since he has "people lining up to buy it". No way, he has enough of my money at this point and he's extremely pushy. When final price is mentioned, he's saying its 23500+ out the door. No way, I tell him to I'm getting out of the deal and want my deposit. He says he's holding it to pay the boat shop for the maintenance (oil and impeller etc) and the rest for the test drive! Yeah right! It's a completely different boat than advertised, totally ragged, equipment not working, and you're gonna hold my deposit?!? Has anyone heard of someone this shady?

Nevertheless I called visa and disputed the charges. They are 100% on my side especially since there is ZERO written agreement between us. If it comes back on Craigslist I'm going to be sure to post a warning to any interested buyers.

ps- tracked down the previous owner he bought it from 2 weeks ago who told me the trans had water in it, shaft was pitted, and needed a rebuild. Interesting especially since the fluid looked brand new!

End rant
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-07-2013, 11:50 PM Reply   
Oops meant wakeboat! Damn iPhone autocorrect
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-08-2013, 3:35 AM Reply   
I would also mention the dealers name and city.That way others won't waste their time also.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-08-2013, 6:24 AM Reply   
Wow. That jacked up with only 350 hours!?

X2 What dealer and city?
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-08-2013, 7:01 AM Reply   
A small time dealer - "a small fishing boat" in Sacramento. The boat had sat in a field with the cover on for 2 years while wasps made nests all inside. I guess my search continues
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-08-2013, 7:04 AM Reply   
Wait what? Just post up the dealer already.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-08-2013, 7:34 AM Reply   
I did look above. I'm glad everyone things I did the right thing?
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-08-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
That bozo has been screwing buyers for years... He typically specializes is beat up aluminum fishing boats priced at twice their value. Run away.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-08-2013, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Wait what? Just post up the dealer already.
Name of the place is "A small fishing boat"

Don't worry, I was also confused
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-08-2013, 8:19 AM Reply   
Ahhhhhhhh. Ok got it.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-08-2013, 8:23 AM Reply   
definitely insist on the harpoon option for your waleboat.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-08-2013, 8:27 AM Reply   
What color was it? Blue? Man, I've always wanted a blue waleboat. That would look killer. Someday I'll own a killer waleboat.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-08-2013, 8:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
What color was it? Blue? Man, I've always wanted a blue waleboat. That would look killer. Someday I'll own a killer waleboat.

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-08-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
The first boat is always a learning experience. I was seventeen, saved about 2 years for a truck, but bought an 88 malibu skier and fixed the transmission in my Crown-vic instead. I was so excited and it ran great.

That winter I decided that I needed to patch a soft spot in the floor. I pulled back the carpet to find that the whole floor, stringers and motor mounts were wrecked. I honestly cried as I ripped up the floor and tore out all the foam that night. It took 7 months and every penny I had to get that thing back together. I put another 1,000hrs on that boat through 4 years of college (it already had 800). I finally sold it for $3,000.00 cash to a fellow and my buddy said he saw it out on his lake just last year.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-08-2013, 8:55 AM Reply   
Type "wakeboat" in the iPhone and you get waleboat! Damn auto correct. I never buy anything from a dealer unless its oem... Shoulda been my first sign! Meathead- have experience with this dude? Going to report him to bbb
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       02-08-2013, 10:39 AM Reply   
As soon as I found out the boat was misrepresented, I wouls be very carefull. I would have told him to lower the price as the boat was priced based on a higher hourse power and fewer hours. If he argued, I would have walked.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-08-2013, 10:54 AM Reply   
I'm with the rest you did the right thing. If he won't return your deposit let the CC company handle it. Obviously a shady dealer.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-08-2013, 11:11 AM Reply   
21.5 +ttl would have been a good price for a mint loaded 01 xstar if it was like described. But 23.5 otd for a ragged our xstar that sat in a field for 2 years?? No way! I just hope someone on here doesn't buy it. Looks good from afar but far from good!
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-08-2013, 11:28 AM Reply   
Think you handled it perfectly. I would just make sure everything is in writing next time. Glad to hear the credit card company will take care of it!
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-08-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
As a fellow Sacramento area marine shop owner, I know of his reputation far too well. We've repaired more than a few of his "sale" boats that were not water ready when sold initially.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-08-2013, 11:38 AM Reply   
Your no the only one to get hosed by this dbag. Check out this link. A long complaint and response from the owner on the Better Business Bureau site.

http://www.bbb.org/northeast-califor...ints#breakdown
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-08-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead65 View Post
As a fellow Sacramento area marine shop owner, I know of his reputation far too well. We've repaired more than a few of his "sale" boats that were not water ready when sold initially.
I understand that it is business and sure you could use the money but why purposely associate yourself with a company like that if you know they are not of the standards that you believe in? I would have a hard time doing business with any company either as a customer or business partner that I feel don't provide a quality and the level of service customers deserve.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-08-2013, 1:43 PM Reply   
^^^^^Sounds like he fixes the other guys mistakes^^^^^
It would be bad of him to tell refer customers,But foolish not to fix them!!!!

Meathead can gain customers.....No harm in that right???
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-08-2013, 1:57 PM Reply   
Maybe I misread it. I thought he was fixing boats for that guy that were for sale. I would have no problem at all fixing boats for others that bought from him.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-09-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
I should have been more clear..... I have no affiliation with that dealer. A good portion of my customer base is from the fish boat crowd, so his sold boats often find their wsy to us for repair.
Old     (constructor)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-09-2013, 6:36 PM Reply   
It doesn't matter what business you get involved with there are some that care only about the money and nothing about their reputation or what is right and wrong. I purchased a 32ft twin cabin twin engine cruiser. The douchebag knew exactly what he needed to do to sell the boat. It started and ran fine out of the water but after water circulated through the water cooled exhaust that had a hole in one the water would run down into the cylinder and lock the engine when it was shut off. I don't think he knew anything more than it wouldn't start on the water. Pulling the engine was a pain( I let someone else do it) new flywheel and manifold $2200... never buy a boat without trying it out on the water.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-09-2013, 6:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
.. never buy a boat without trying it out on the water.
This is the first rule of buying a used boat. Fer sure.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-10-2013, 9:06 AM Reply   
^^ Second that. I buy and sell as a hobby. Plus own 4 or 5 personal boats. Plus snowmobiles, 4 wheelers and the like. People will do anything just to get them sold. Buyer beware! Even dealers will do shady stuff to get a boat moved. You have to do your homework and be careful. Don't be afraid to get an independent mechanical inspection or survey. Cost money up front, but a couple hundred to walk away from a money pit is money well spent. When your buying a used boat you really need to know what you are looking at, or employ someone who does!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-10-2013, 9:54 AM Reply   
Wow, crazy story... sorry you had such a bad experience. Glad you were able to get out of the deal.

I have a good friend selling a super clean 2006 Tige 22ve loaded up. It only has 90 hours on it and vinyl is brand new. If you are interested PM me I can pass along his info.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-11-2013, 7:40 AM Reply   
Go ahead and send me the details, can't figure out how to PM
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-14-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
Sent you a PM, incase you dont recieve it here is the info on his Tige for sale. He is a legit seller, and close to the Sacramento area. The boat is very nice.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-Tige-22V-349027
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-14-2013, 11:20 AM Reply   
information and reviews like this need to go on google, yelp, everywhere in addition to BBB
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-14-2013, 3:04 PM Reply   
They will be, once Im sure I have my refunded deposit.