Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    crystal1            03-07-2005, 8:03 PM Reply   
We are beginners, so excuse the dumb questions:
Anyone ever wakeboarded on a Seadoo X-20 ? Would you buy one ? Why/Why not !

Thanks
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-07-2005, 8:20 PM Reply   
Generaly they are not used for great wakes, using a jet drive is not gonna get you great shape along with form to a wake. Like most will say id reccomend a dd or a v drive to start out wakeboarding.
Old    blue_malibu            03-07-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
i own a "jet boat" and all i have is problems!!!
Old    powaman            03-08-2005, 4:35 AM Reply   
Ya those jet boats have barely any wake at all. When we tried behind my friends boat, it was a small jetboat and didn't even have enough power to pull em outta the water, I could get out because I know how to board and I turned quick and "helped" the boat out. Even after I got up on his it was pointless, not wake what so ever. Almost any I/O will have a way better way then a jet boat and can be had relatively cheap.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-08-2005, 5:22 AM Reply   
You can wakeboard behind any boat with enough power however, since it sounds like you don't already have a jet boat, I would consider the alternatives (V-drive, D-drive or even an I/O).

Jet Boats:
Don't hold speed well
Don't track a straight line well
Generally aren't very heavy therefore producing a small wake
Don't handle adding weight very well
Create a wash between the wakes

All the above are undesirable and considering a new jetboat is in the 20K+ range, you can get a great used boat for that or less that will be much better for wakeboarding.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-08-2005, 6:02 AM Reply   
jetboat engines are usually toast after 200-400 hrs, at least the ones that are really 2 big jetski engines
Old    hershell            03-08-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
Buy a jetboat but go with the Yamaha. I looked at the Seadoo and the Yamaha. The Yamaha is a much better buy IMO. I have a Yamaha AR 210 and love it. I have never had a problem pulling anyone out of the water. I'm sure the $40k wakeboard boat will make a better wake. But for less than $24k I love it. If all you want is to wakeboard the I would look at something else. For a family boat go with a Jetboat. No prop to worry about and nothing but fun.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-08-2005, 3:32 PM Reply   
For 24k There is a huge market of used boats that would produce three times the wake a jetboat could. Id take my 10 grand 89 malibu before a jetboat!
Old    linus8103            03-08-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   
Yeah man, I paid 15K for a Centurion Elite V-drive with a new engine. I would never want a jet boat, but thats just my opinion.