Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-27-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
I am looking at a few boats (a couple of 2000 Kamberra's and a 99 Launch DD)currently and would like some input. Of course, I will test drive both options before deciding. Both have pros/cons. The Kamberra is the same hull as the Mobius V from a few years back, it's 22 foot and it's a V-drive. I know the Moomba's from 99-00 weren't really known for their fit/finish, so that is a drawback. The Launch has better options and better fit/finish in my opinion, it's 20'8" but it is a Direct Drive and that is really the only reason that I am questioning it. In regards to wake, I know the Launch is a tried and true shape and I have seen a few posts here with pictures of a properly weighted Kamberra that looked like a very nice wake. I think that both have pretty good storage and room for ballast. So, any input is appreciated.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-27-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
You have to ask yourself "am i going to have enough room in a DD". Test drive them both. That will be the only way for you to tell what is best for you.

I like the looks of the Supra better but for me a DD wouldnt be big enough. Thats a tough call.
Old     (salomon16)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-27-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
I would go with the Kamberra just for the room and better setup for ballast... how much are those boats runnin anyway??
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-27-2007, 4:32 PM Reply   
I would get the supra for resale. moombas don't have the same resale as a supra. so in terms of a better resale I would go with the supra then upgrade when you can
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-27-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
Supra does have better resale, but it depends on what you want ot do with the boat. Are you looking for more surfing and wakeboarding the Kamberra might be the better choice. If you enjoy skiing the Supra would be better.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-27-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
I will be using it for a mix of boarding/surfing, mostly boarding. We have had a Sunsetter DD and Sport Nautique DD over the years and have never really had an issue with space. My crew consists of four hardcore riders and usually 1-2 other people on any given day. It would be nice to not have to step over ballast bags, otherwise I have no problem with DD's. I am going to keep my eyes open for other offseason deals too.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-27-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
Stephen, Im familiar with both of these models but not the exact boats your looking at have have spent alot of time riding behind them

Your right about the finish on the Moomba is not as nice but it is a dependable boat. Although I like the wake of the Launch better because of shape, both can have great wakes. But the 2000 Kamberra could be a real sleeper with the right equipment and if you like the v drive now you will always say I wish I would have bought the V. Other year Kambarras had a weird rear transom walk thu that would not work very well for sacking it out but the 2000 model has the right set up. You will be able to put 1150 under the play pen and 2x600 in the rear and you wont even see the bags or have to step on them. To get that kind of weight in the Launch you will be sacking out the floor and stepping on the bags.

Because the Kambarra did not have the wakeboard package expect to install perfect pass $1200, 3 bag ballast system $1500, Tower $1500, wakeboard prop $450. Hopefully it has the hydraulic wake plate which most dealers did put on even though it was an option. But if you spend the extra 4K you will throw a much bigger better wake than most brand new boats have with factory ballast.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-27-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input, I have heard that the Kamberra had plenty of space to hide ballast. The two that I called about today had deposits on them, so we will see what happens with that. In the meantime, the search continues.
Old     (surf22)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-29-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
i have a 2000 launch, and i love it. i have the stock rear ballast, and then i have 680# in the locker, side sacks (270# each) on the sides of the engine, and then 2 85# fat bricks in the ski locker that i can move around for weight distribution. When i surf, i throw a 500# on the left side of the engine. it is a very solid boat, and i really love it. my only complaint (as already said on here) is the room issue - a v-drive is so much more convenient with a lot of people, but to be honest i've never had any complaints and ive put about 11 people on my boat before. i dont know about the kamberra, but i almost bought a new moomba instead of my supra, but it was an 06 outback lsv which i decided was not a good enough boat due to the small, shallow hull and no fuel injection! i also looked at a few mobius', but the supra is just such a nicer boat that i was willing to deal with the DD and the age (and the price was right). i do not have perfect pass, but i do have the hydraulic wake plate which is a very nice option and imo necessary.

either way, im sure you will be happy...but if you plan on getting a new boat in a few years, i would personally stick with a supra since it is a proven quality wake boat and people know that, a moomba would be harder to sell i would think, even though it is a nice boat. i plan on selling my boat either this upcoming spring or maybe i will keep it one more year, and i knew i was going to upgrade quickly and i probably won't lose any money on the supra.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-29-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
I have a '99 Launch that I bought used years ago. I went through the whole D-drive vs. V-drive thing too. One reason I went with the D-drive is because I like the unweighted handling (probably just because, having mostly drive D-drives, that's what I'm most familiar with). Of course weighted their going to both handle like pigs so this might not be anything your concerned about. As for the Supra having better resale I have my doubts about this too. Wakeboarding seems to just keep continuing to grow in popular and used D-drives therefore seem to get less and less marketable. This was a major concern of mine when I bought the boat. The biggest factor of all was money. You just get a better boat for the same amount of money when comparing D-drives to V-drives. On the other hand the V-drive is going to make a better wakeboard boat any day of the week. So there, how's that for some non-committal, indecisive, worthless advice.

Upload
Old     (surf22)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-29-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
thats a nice looking launch jim...i like the black. i agree, for similar money to a cheap v-drive, i got a very nice DD. and i think it throws an awesome wake personally, and i ride behind a 05 san 220 on the days im not riding the supra, and i still love my wake too (even though the san is pretty flawless).

it all boils down to what you value...do you value a better quality boat? or do you value v-drive? which one has options that are more valuable to you?
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-29-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
I have a 2003 Launch SS Direct Drive. I have yet to use all the space I have on my boat. Mine comes with factory ballast of 400 in rear and 400 in ski locker area. I know you may be looking at some older models but for what it is worth, attached are some shots behind mine taken at San Vincente on a windy day. (factory ballast)Upload
Upload
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-29-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
I know people will argue... but how is a v-drive any better than a d-drive.. other than initially it has a bit more weight in the rear. some boats, and especially most supra's like more weight in the front anyway.. i personally like a d-drive better. when loaded, the wake is the same... how can it be different...?
Old     (surf22)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-29-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
i think it also has a lot to do with configuration, because i agree with you on a physics standpoint. although i wish i had a v-drive for surfing, but i make it work.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-29-2007, 1:59 PM Reply   
Nate - Just because its a V-Drive does not mean it is better surf wake. My 01 Launch DD had 2x the surf wake my 05 & 06 21V did. It dosnt make since but true.

All- There is a very big exception to this DD to Vdrive comparison. Most manufactures dont make 22, 23, 24 foot DD. Except Malibu I think. The wake on my 22ssv is much larger and better than on the DD Launch. In Fact the 20foot comp is the only DD Supra makes this year the DD Launch is gone
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-30-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
Cofiguration is key. Basically if you throw the weight in a DD in the right places you get as good a wake as you would in a V-drive.

Here is how I would think about it. If you use your boat to Entertain and Board with several riders, boat fluff, family, and whomever else you invite and you trailer your boat to the lake and spend all day on it, then a DD is probably not for you. You will feel cramped spending all day on a boat with 6 or more people in a DD drive with fat sacs, coolers and gear spread out on the floor.

Now if you primarily go out with 2 to 4 riders and have shorter sessions and only occasionally use your boat to entertain, then a DD will be fine. Also DDs are easier to work on. Not so much because they are more reliable, but things are easier to access. It took me the better part of an hour just to grease the rudder assembly in my v-drive due to the tight quarters. You are definitely prone to more swearing when working on a v drive compared to a DD, but I wouldn't base my decision on that.