Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-15-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
We've been wakeboarding for a year or so, wakeskating for a couple weeks and just tried wakesurfing for the first time this weekend - needless to say the faqmily is looking for a wakesurf board. My sons are 13 (115 ish) and 15 (145 ish) and I am 5'10" 175. I am going to work on our setup with a 2001 Air Nautque DD. We surfed on a friends Ronix Cortez 4'8" and all did pretty well for our first runs - of course, this being our first time out, we have no way for comparing how the board rode.

We would like to stay in the $300 range or under, but if there is a huge improvement at $350 then no problem. I like the idea of a compression board for now as I am sure the board may be subject to "suspect" handling along the way. Based on my reading, here are the choices so far (please knock out any that I should excuse or help make any obvious picks of one over the other):

1) Liquid Force Venture 5'3" Fish - local shop has this one to demo
2) Liquid Force Venture 5'0" - I am particularly interested on how to compare this to the 5'3"
3) IS Squirt
4) CWB Razr
5) Hyperlite Broadcast
6) CWB Tsunami

Right now I am leaning to the Venture 5'0" or the Squirt. I am thinking the 5'0" may be smaller for me, but fun if I can get the hang of it and be smaller to suit the youngest - but at the same time I have read alot of good post about the Fish, and wonder if that wouldn't be better behind what I expect to be a smaller wake of the air nautique (this is my assumption - I will be working on the weighting this week).

Last edited by cdrymalla; 08-15-2010 at 6:15 PM.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-15-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
As much as I'd like to suggest the Razr, (I rode it for 2 seasons and really progressed on it) if you think the board is going to be subject to "suspect" handling, then I'd probably wait on the Razr, it's a little more fragile than the compression molded boards. Which brings me to another point, do you have a rack that will fit the thicker surf boards like the Razr, or will you be using a wakeboard rack?

Looking at your list, id say;
IS Squirt
LF venture 5'0"

I can say, with rather certainty, no matter what board you decide on this summer, you'll be looking at another board next summer as you progress and learn more about what you want out of a surfboard.
Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-15-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
Scott, thanks for the help.

Right now, I am thinking just a standard wakeboard rack if I can get away with it. If there is a thicker board that is preferred, I can look into getting a surf rack too.

Also, if you think I left anything good off my list, let me know.

As far as wanting another board, I am certain you are right, which is the one reason I may lean to the venture 5'0" (@ $269) over the squirt (@ $360).

I wish I could demo the venture 5'0" 5'3" and the squirt, I will have to check around locally to see if I can find the 5'0 and the squirt.
Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-18-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
This is where I am at now, any help woud be appreciated:

I have pretty much narrowed it down to:
1) IS Squirt ($360 + possible $30 is need additional third fin)
2) LF Venture 5'3" FISH ($300)

It seems that I have only heard good things about the Squirt, and a shop around here suggested that they didn't have much luck with the venture 5'0" and even stopped carrying it, but they did like the FISH - so I am back at these two on the short list.

So between the Squirt and the Fish, here are a couple of my questions....Is it likely that I will need to purchase the third fin for the Squirt to help with control as we are starting out?

If not, then I can handle the extra $60 and go with what seems like a good bet in the Squirt. Advantage SQUIRT

If teh fin is needed, the margin is getting closer to $100 and I am not sure I am really going to see much difference in the Squirt over the FISH, any opinions? Would either of them support advancement - e.g., would the shorter squirt be more likely to be around in a season as opposed to the slightly longer fish? If they are going to perfom essentially the same, advantage FISH

Any help is appreciated...I know I need to Demo, I am working on that, but as much as everyone says to do it, the number of boards available for demo is less than slim.

Last edited by cdrymalla; 08-18-2010 at 2:19 PM.
Old    mobster            08-20-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
if your better half is looking for her own board we have this girls demo board for 250 plus shipping 4'11 with the Budroe tail
Attached Images

Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-20-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
Chris
were are you located??
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-21-2010, 12:39 AM Reply   
I was talking to dennis the other day....

We have probably had 20+ people on our boat this summer that have never wakesurfed. And we have several boards we use to teach. Since you guys are all fairly light, 115-175, it would seem a good 4.5 would work pretty well if you wanted to cover all of you. We have a TWP JWSM that was RJs primary board for the past year. The JWSM is a performance board, but it is also surprisingly forgiving. Forgiving enough, that I will teach someone on it in that weight range if they have done any boardsports so have decent balance. The only issue with that board is that it is very responsive. So that it can feel very loose and squirly for a new person. But it turns rail to rail very nice and it easy to keep from pearling as long as you don't overweight it.

So back to what I was discussing with Dennis. If TWP added a "training wheel" or 3rd rear fin behind the twinzer setup, I think it would make a great board that would last a LONG time for everyone as long as it was cared for. In other words, with the 3rd fin in, it would be stable, less responsive and squirly, and so real good for a beginner. Then pop that fin out, and its a advanced board. Same board James Walker rode last year. Its just a thought, but thinking about how expensive boards can be for a family, I think that board would with a third removable fin could be a great all around board. If they were heavier, I would say maybe the boat board by lakewakes or the Bazooka, or probably 2 boards. But 115-175, I think the TWP JWSM would work, but with a third fin.

Just a thought, feel free to poke holes in it.

Last edited by ragboy; 08-21-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-21-2010, 12:42 AM Reply   
One more thing, I took 12 college kids out 2 days ago, non ever wakesurfed. If I had a 4.5 and a 4.9 JWSM with the third fin, I wouldn't have needed any other board all day.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-21-2010, 3:59 AM Reply   
JL - That is a good looking board! What are the specs on that? MY wife is 5'7" about 130 lbs.
Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-22-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help. I think the biggest issue at this point is staying in the $300 range, so some of the suggestion, although they seem like great advice, may be a bit out of range.

Mobster, thanks for the offer, but I am not sure she is going to take to the surf thing quite yet, she still likes to slalom.

Brewkettle, I am in Austin.
Old    mobster            08-22-2010, 5:17 PM Reply   
will post the specs on this board after I look at them
Old    mobster            08-23-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
David just got off the phone with rock he said it will work for your wife no problem that board is high performance board for the ladies JL
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-26-2010, 6:54 AM Reply   
Thanks J.L. - I wonder if it comes in another color? Where can they be seen and purchased? I am on the East Coast (Atlanta)
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-26-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Anyone can demo some Lakewakes boards if they live in Georgia , just emil or call for info,

thanks
Mark
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-26-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
Ragboy, is RJ looking to sell the TWP JWSM?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-26-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
Not sure, I was keeping it for whitney, but now she is riding the flyboy. The JWSM is a great board, we may keep it for all the demos we do.
Old     (sixx352)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-27-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
If you are near Idaho you can try out my Triple X boards!