Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    wakinmaine            11-25-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
thanks ahead of time...
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-25-2003, 3:42 PM Reply   
I don't know the names of them, but I don't know if u're familiar with route 4 at all but I pass like 3 perfect lakes for riding, I have a favorite one, I should prolly try and find out the name of it, but its perfect. Its ALWAYS glassy, and I mean ALWAYS, I have never seen more than just ripples on this lake. I know there is a ski nautique on it, but other than that I don't know how busy it gets cause I've only seen it in the fall. Long lake is usually pretty choppy but if u go into Monday cove its not bad at all, u can usually find some glass. Sebago again is huge and usually choppy, but I'm sure there are inlets u can find to ride on. We usually ride in casco bay, not by choice, its just where my dad keeps both our boats so.. ya know, thats where we end up rid'n. I'm sure there are a bunch more spots that are awesome, there are A LOT of untouched lakes up here, the Lake Sokois I don't know how to spell it but the first stop of the INT tour in Limerick is really nice but I think its private. Just drive arround the lakes region in Bridgeton, Naples, etc. that area and there is plenty of good water to be had. If u find a good spot let me know.
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-25-2003, 9:44 PM Reply   
Just read the title again, I assume u meant wakeboarding, if ur looking for ANY type of boarding than a must know spot for skateboarding is the indoor skatepark in bath, snowboarding, kinda obvious Sunday River (my personal fav.), Sugar Loaf, Shawnee Peak, I know there are others but those are my fav 3, Shawnee peak is small and a little bit cheaper but they have lights so u can ride at night. Surfing... well I know there are a lot of NICE secret spots, seen the pics to prove it but I have yet to find them, but i Know they exist. Higgins Beach and Scarboro beach are two good places to get started surf wise.
Old    wakinmaine            11-26-2003, 12:44 PM Reply   
Bess,
Thanks for all the great info. By the number of posts you have on this website (687), it sounds like you've got to be pro. Do you give lessons at all? I'm decent at riding but looking to step it up a bit. It would be great to see your skills. Let me know.
Old    kevlar            11-26-2003, 7:00 PM Reply   
Bess,
When do you go to Sebago? When I go during the summer it's wicked sweet. On it's worse days it can be a little rough, but I wouldn't call it downright choppy. Same thing with Long. I don't live up there so maybe I've just been lucky.
Pete,
If you're looking for lessons (in case Bess can't help you out), there is a place on Long Lake. I think they're prices can be steap (they're using tourists, I think), but if you can afford it... Then again, I don't think anybody NEEDS lessons. I figured it out on my own, just go out and get an instructional. Of course, I'm assuming you're new. Are you?
Maybe I'll see y'all around, peace.
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-26-2003, 9:45 PM Reply   
Kevin,
I got a friend with a cabin on long lake and we rode there about 3-5 times a week and 9 times outta ten it was pretty choppy cause the wind just whips up the lake. But, there are some spots that are pretty consistently glassy, like Monday cove is almost always glassy (unless there are tubers in there ) I've never seen sebago glassy... but its a huge lake with A LOT of inlets and islands and I'm sure there are spots where there are glass, but I'm never really on Sebago so... I can't really give it a fair review. Brandy Pond, just under the bridge from long lake is usually really good. That place that does lessons is owned by Harry Hewes of Sun Sports PLus, I wouldn't pay for lessons from there unless it was a clinic. Cause all they provide is the driver, and its hard for the driver to help coach while driving and u gotta provide a spotter. There prices are average, the only cheap places u can go to pay for a pull are a friends or a cable park. There's so much involved with the boat, like gas, liability, all that good stuff. But they do clinics, I guess Harry was say'n he was going to do more next summer, I HIGHLY recommend these, all the guys are super cool and its a lot of fun and worth every penny (its only $40).

Peter,
I try to be as active in the wake industry as I possibly can (u can check out my first article for wakeworld, http://www.wakeworld.com/interviews/2003/robinfriday1.asp) wakeboardings my life, so I pretty much live here on wakeworld when I can't ride, haha . I'm no pro or nething, in fact I'm pretty novice myself, I'm still workin on a lot of the basics but I'm always up for rid'n with new people an push'n each other. I don't know what ur working on but I've taught a bunch of people to ride, its so fun to see people get all stoked when they learn something, even if its just gett'n up. U wakeskate at all? If u haven't tried it yet u gotta, it is soooo fun! How long have u been riding? where do u ride now? U snowboard/surf at all?

(Message edited by xtremebordgurl on November 26, 2003)
Old     (boardinbeast)      Join Date: May 2003       11-27-2003, 6:00 PM Reply   
I go to lake Sebago once a year with a bunch of family, we are all new to wakeboarding but my cousin has a new boat up there (19ft glastron) not a wakeboarding boat, but hey beggers can't be choosers. I never really got the chance to really explore the lake but we were only able to really ind one good spot and it is definatly NOT glass. Although if you cang et out there early 6-8 AM the entire lake can be glass, It's awesome there if you get it at the right time, goin in a straight line for twenty minutes is amazing to me, anyways if you know any good spots mind sharing? Looking for specifics for sebago lake (and we won't bother you, if we go out and find good riders we usualy just watch, see if we can see some new stuff so don't be afraid of ruinin it for you =) )
Old    wakinmaine            11-28-2003, 6:56 AM Reply   
Bess,
Thanks again for the info. So wakeboarding is your life huh? I find it so interesting that your involved at length in this sport yet you still are working on the basics. Do you ever feel like a poser?

Just curious
Old    steveaz            11-28-2003, 7:09 AM Reply   
Peter,

Define poser!!!! This was somebody that came on here and tried to help you out, took the time to give you a lot of great info and that's your reply??? Then I guess many of us are "posers", but that's what's great (or used to be) about this site, we didn't judge each other on our ability but our passion for the sport. Hopefully as you progress and mature, you'll come to figure that out.

Bess, given my number of posts and my ability on the water...I'd say you're doing pretty good!

Steve
Old    wakinmaine            11-28-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
SteveAZ,

To answer your question...

poser

n. A wannabee; not hacker slang, but used among
crackers, phreaks and warez d00dz. Not as negative as lamer or
leech. Probably derives from a similar usage among punk-rockers
and metalheads, putting down those who "talk the talk but don't walk
the walk".

I wasnt trying to make fun of anybody. i was seriously asking because i am so into the sport but really suck and sometimes feel like a poser cuz all i do is eat drink and sleep boarding but cant ever get wake to wake when i try. maybee i just need more confidence. i was just wondering if anyone else, especially Bess who seems to be in my same shoes if they ever feel that way

Old    xtremebordgurl            11-28-2003, 9:48 AM Reply   
hmmmmm... Peter I think I see where you're comming from. To answer ur question, I don't tsee myself as a poser cause I don't go out and say I can do things that I can't. When I think of a poser I think of someone that goes out and says they can do a whole slew of tricks when they can't. Or they try to fit into a certqin image, or aren't themselves to impress people. I'll be honest, I don't care what people think of me, I mean I would hope people think I'm a good person, but I don't care about what I look like or any of that other stuff. I've been dissed a lot for being as passionate as I am for wakeboarding. I love this sport. More than anything. And yeah I suck at it, but thats not going to stop me from trying to improve myself as a rider and the sport and industry as a whole. Ya don't have to be a pro to make a difference. And ya don't have to be a pro to be a wakeboarder. In fact one of the best things about this sport is the commeraderie that everyone has. Everyone is really accepting of one another, wakeworld is a great example. Even the pros are really cool about different riding abilities. You go to a wake comp, and everyone is rooting for each other. Its a great sport, it really is. Maybe just try being straight up honest with urself and ur friends about ur riding ability and keep fueling ur love for the sport and maybe u'll feel less like a poser.
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-28-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
Steve, thanx for running to my defense! Another great example the wake commeraderie!
Old    kevlar            11-28-2003, 10:17 AM Reply   
Pete,
A true wakeboarder is not necessarily somebody who's good, but somebody who has a passion and love for the sport.
David,
Where do you stay when you're in Maine? I know some people where I stay who are wicked new up there, and I know they have other grom cousins in Mass. I stay at 4 Seasons on Long Lake.
Bess,
I'm not sayin there's glass either, but a few bumps don't make a lake choppy. Keeping in mind my home lake is always packed with tourists and lamb chops (water so choppy it has white crests) are not uncommon, my standards may be lower than yours.
Steve,
Not to but in, but the "Just curious" signature should have indicated that he didn't mean any offense.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-28-2003, 10:28 AM Reply   
i have a feeling that steve is picking up on the sarcasm that "peter" has in his posts. seen as all 5 of them are directed towards bess, and no profile info, I am callin petey out. i would imagine "he" is a ficticious entity created by someone on this site to poke fun at bess.

way uncool man.
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-28-2003, 10:55 AM Reply   
Man that can't be no good! Oh well, at least I'm giv'n people something to talk about!
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       11-28-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
I used to spend a lot of time in Maine. I don't miss the wind or water temps but the lakes were so clear and clean.

We used to have a place on Frye Island and the only part of the lake that is smooth after 10:00am is at the bottom of Jordan Bay on the southern part of the lake. Don't remember the name of the cove, but go under the bridge and you're in a pretty good sized cove. It can get crowded but it's protected from the wind.

Early morning and just before dark and pretty much the whole lake is good.

On the Northern part of the lake, try the river by Point Sebago or go up river into Brandy Pond. If the wind is out of the North or South, Long lake and Brandy Pond will be blown out but East/West winds aren't too bad on Brandy Pond.

River is always glass but it's narrow, hard to find straight runs and I heard they enforce the speed limit nowadays.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-28-2003, 6:33 PM Reply   
i think it is called Sugarloaf, right?

Old    xtremebordgurl            11-29-2003, 6:46 AM Reply   
Kind of a random question... but anyone know any good surf spots up here? I know we have barrels cause a friend e-mailed me some pics of him gett'n barreled somewhere up here, but all he said was "Maine has spots with barrels, just gotta know where those hot spots are, gotta tap em just right for em to open up for you ;)" Anyone wanna drop me some hints?
Old     (lemytry)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-30-2003, 5:47 PM Reply   
hey u should go to square pond. great riding everyday of the week xcept for 4th of july
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-30-2003, 7:37 PM Reply   
Zach, where is square pond?
Old     (lemytry)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-01-2003, 4:30 PM Reply   
its in shapleigh near sanford. a great lake to ride on many wicked good riders and we all have fun bummin around together