Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-05-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
Ok, one last thread on my boat purchase saga. Thanks to all those that have helped me so far. I've narrowed my boat purchase decision down to either a 2006 Moomba Mobius LSV or a 2005 Supra 21V (still new). After the dust settled on price, the 2005 Supra is 4k more than the 2006 Moomba. There are a lot of little things nicer on the Supra (rotating board racks vs. fixed, playpen seating, more plush interior, etc.) but the drivetrain and even all major features are basically the same which of course means a few more options chosen on the Moomba. Note that both boats are priced without a trailer, so the nicer trailer on the Supra is not a factor (no trailer was a bigger discount on the Supra).

I definitely want to buy one of these two boats, but I'm having trouble deciding which one. If the price difference was 2-3k, I'd definitely get the Supra, but at 4k more for a 2005 boat vs getting a 2006, the choice is harder. I don't think the price for either boat is going to move any further, and I think in both cases they are offering me a 'good deal'.

The one thing that I haven't done is ride behind the LSV with a lot of weight. When I test drove the Supra, it was weighted down with 2000+lbs and I thought the wake was awesome. When I test drove the LSV, there was only a 400lb sack + driver, and I still thought the wake was good and that it had a lot of potential with more weight. But, that's not the same as trying it with a lot of weight. Unfortunately, I don't think this is something I'll be able to try. If anyone's ridden in both boats weighted down nicely I'd like to hear your opinion.

Any thoughts (not just wake, in general)? Which one would you choose? Just wondering if there are other factors I haven't considered. I can 'afford' either boat, but would of course prefer to spend less money if I can. When I think about it, first I lean towards the Supra, but then when I try to pinpoint what I'm getting for the 4k extra, I have trouble justifying it, which makes me lean towards the Moomba...then the cycle repeats. (I know...we should all have such tough problems in life!)
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-05-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
both great boats and we all do this. in my experience i purchased a boat in the past cause it was a cheaper, but knowing i could afford either and i really wanted the other. well i just ended up wishing i had the other one the whole time and then went out and bought it the next year. i have actually done this on 2 past boats. if you can afford either get the one you really want. buyers remorse is a haunting feeling..... both are awesome boats... can't go wrong with either... switch your negotiations to an 06 21V or work a little harder to get them to do that for that price... that way it might make it easier for you to decide..
good luck to you and let us know what you end up with...
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-05-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
Have you considered re-sale --- the Supra will hold much better over the mobius....Good luck w/ your decision
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-06-2006, 5:36 AM Reply   
I own an '04 Moomba LSV and if you've narrowed it down to those 2 choices, definitely go with the Supra. That was my original choice when I bought mine, expect my wife said no way. I did sit in an '05 Supra 21V at the boat show last year and it is much nicer than the Moomba. My .02.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-06-2006, 5:53 AM Reply   
David, I would have to agree with everything Diggs, Joshua and Randy said. It's up to you but make sure you don't regret getting the one you really wanted. It can cost you more in the long one when you decide that maybe you made a mistake.

Don't get me wrong both boats are very nice and the company Skier's Choice takes very good of the customers. I had a 02 Moomba Outback with was a very nice boat but new I wanted to upgrade to a V-drive. I narrowed my choices down to the new 06 LSV or a 05 SSV 22. Needless to say in the end I bought the SSV22.

Good luck.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-06-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
Both are super nice....but, for me, the 21V would (and still is) be the choice.
Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-06-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
And the winner is....Supra 21V! Put down a $500 deposit today. They are doing the paperwork to get the boat show freebies ordered and once that is all sorted I can take her home. Colors are granite with red accent stripe at the water line and red piping in the interior. I probably wouldn't have ordered this color combination if I had picked myself, but it looks awesome and now that I've seen it on the boat I really like it. I'll post pics when I actually take home the boat which might still be a little while.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions and advice. Diggs comment really struck home with me as I've made this mistake before of going for the cheaper option and then later regretting that. The only time I've gone with the more expensive option and later regretted it is when I didn't end up using the item in question as much as I thought I would...and that won't happen in this case! :-)
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-06-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
David, Congrats on your new Supra.

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-06-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
Congrats! you'll luv the 21V. I own an 04 SSV and my next boat will probably be the 21V. When you spend alot fo time in your boat (or at least me) some of the amenities that supra offers are nice, that moomba's don't have. One of the biggest for me is hte thickness of padding (cushions) on supra's vs mooba's. I don't know if that's chaged in 06???
Old     (lowdrag)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-06-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
Good choice. I don't think there were any major changes in the 21V, so it's not like you missed out on anything by buying a new '05.

My dealer has a new '06 21V. All white with gray graphics and I drool over that boat every time I see it. Price being more of a factor to me, I'm sure I'll have nothing but good things to say when I get my new LSV.

Once again, enjoy the boat, great choice.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-06-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Great choice!!!

I was in a similar delimma last year over a 2005 Mobius LSV and a 2004 Supra SSV. We ended up going with the Supra because my wife didn't like the Mobius. Now that I've had my Supra for a year I have ZERO regrets! I absolutely love my boat.

Granted, the 2006 LSV's are much improved over the 2005's, so the choice in my situation was a no brainer while your decision was a little more difficult to make.. I still think you did the right thing. You will love your Supra!
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-06-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Congrats, welcome to the 21V club! Post pics when you get it!
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       01-06-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
go ahead & order the front gg & another stock front locker bag. put the gg up front & the 2 stock bags on either side of the engine. get the wb prop also if you run this setup. congrats & once again...welcome to the club!
Old     (supratweaked)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-06-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
David - Congrats, You must be SupraStoked!

I wanted to but my friends Moomba until I went to the boat show last year. I ended up buying a 22SSV and am very happy with it (my first boat). You will love the 21V.
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-06-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
Great Choice.
I'm happy that we spent more money then we wanted. But our 21V was the first boat we've owned. When we made our decision that's the two boat she sat in and said buy the Supra not the Moomba. We could not be any happier then we are. She can't wait for spring to get out in it again.
Dave good luck you made the right decision in our opinion.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-06-2006, 6:37 PM Reply   
Hey Congrats!!! Now we need to see the pics!