Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (theanimal)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-05-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
I just bought my first ballast bags and need a little input as to where to put them. I know my boat isnt a wakeboard boat but its all i have so it will have to work. Anyway I have a Tahoe Q7i and now I have 2 350lb sacs. Should I put them both in the back of the boat or both in the front?? Or should I just split them up?

Do you think I will actually notice any difference with only 700lbs of weight?
I will be adding more in the future as money comes available.
thanks for the input guys
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-05-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
put one up front one in the back... If i was u I'd buy another sac (500-750 lbs) and put the 350s in the back and the 750 up front. Just make sure you evenly distribute the weight or your boat will have a hard time planing off. You will probably have to play with your speed a little to get the wake just right.

And YES u will notice a difference!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
if you have a open bow boat in the middle up front and in the rear on the rear seat as far back as possible but tie it in place or it will come flying forward when you stop.like christopher said ideal would be a 750 up front and the 2-350's on each side in the back.
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
What motor do you have? 700 lb will definitely make a difference.
Old     (theanimal)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-05-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
Its the 4.3 V6 220hp.

Thanks for the input guys.
I will give it a try and see how it works. Is there a general rule of thumb for moving the weight around like will more weight in the back make the wake steeper or will weight in the front do that?
Old     (blindgoose)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-05-2010, 3:41 PM Reply   
From my experience, more weight = bigger wake with slightly more lip.

Having more weight in the front will help your holeshot and it will make the wakes closer together.

You might need a different prop because this added weight will take you much longer to get up to speed.
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
You are doing the right thing, start with 700lbs and play with your setup until if feels right. 1500 lbs with that motor will make the boat really sluggish.
Old     (theanimal)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-06-2010, 6:43 AM Reply   
Ok thanks again everyone.
I will give it a shot and play around with the positioning. I plan on upgrading the prop to a High Five soon which is why I dont have the money for any more ballast right now They are really proud of those props man.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-06-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
try to get a 17p or 19p high five , i have a 17p for my 3.0 and it planes out almost instantly with a 400lb sack in the bow. and yes you will notice a big difference.