Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-19-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
Ok, still tweaking the wake on this boat, and this is the first attempt at surfing it.

I'm regular footed, riding a 4'4" Coex. Boat in these pics is running 750 # in the locker and a 350# along the seats.. 2 people in the boat... Couldn't get a surfable wave, either too much wash or too fast...

Ok time to try heel side.. And thats tough!

Ok, lets go goofy! Man I suck at it.. I got slack in the line, but I just cant get my weight balance down...

Ok, tips on getting the regular side better? At that point I was running 750# in the locker and 350# along the seats. I have 1000# available in the nose and more fat sacks laying around the garage...

Last edited by bkey79; 07-19-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-19-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
One more of port regular... My normal side.. Please tell me someone out there has "THE" setup!

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
Have you ever free surfed before??

What speed are you surfing at? I know the people I see surfing a SAN at saguaro typically go a little slower than me, so about 10.5-10.7

Ill upload some vid of me and my friend riding that same board, watch the board and where the water sprays out from under the board. He cant free surf it yet and the water is pushed towards the boat cause hes leaning back too far, like an inch can make the difference.

I could probly get better vid if you want but i dont feel like editing it and uploading right now. heres some old vid of me with the old set up and with my friend on the new setup (more ballast)

Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-19-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
I've been free surfing my old Malibu Sunsetter direct drive for a couple years now. I just upgraded to the SAN... The port side wash didn't clean up to 13.3 on PP... So by the time it cleaned up, it was way to fast... Those were my first attempts at Starboard side goofy and heelside..

My Starboard side ballast was 750# in the locker and #350 along the spotter side seating.. 2 people in the boat...
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
are the two people on the surfside? All I can suggest is more weight. I know the equation for a tige but not so much for a san, sorry man someone on here can help ya out.
Old     (Brad_L)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-20-2010, 2:58 AM Reply   
We surf the regular side of our 2001 SAN. You need more weight. We fill both ballast tanks and then fill another 350 pound sac in the port side locker. Then a 500 pound sac along the side seat all the way towards the back. If we only have a few people we fill another 350 pound sac on the floor against the side seat, just below the 500 pounder. One person sits on top of the port side locker and handles the rope. The other people sit on whatever seating is left on the surf side of the boat, usually the spot next to the driver and maybe a couple in the bow. We don't have PP but our speed is always between 9.5 and 10 mph.
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-20-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
Brad, I'm having a hard time picturing what your setup is... So you have both rear factory ballast full? What is the stock ballast, 250lbs? Seems like I have enough weight in the back, just not enough listing it to port and having any weight on the starboard side would be detrimental to the wake? Am I wrong?

So you have both rear factory ballast full, making 500lbs *if 250 was stock* plus 350 on port rear locker putting port rear at 600lbs and starboard rear at 250 lbs. Plus 350 along the seat and another 350 on the seat?..

Ok, the boat has 1000lbs up front and 750's each side of the engine available plumbed in ballast.

Laying on my garage floor is:
2 Fly High 450lb sacks
2 Fat Sack twins, 440lbs each
1 350 Launch Pad ski locker ballast..
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-20-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
Dude take all of those extra sacks. Throw them on the port side of your boat and go bananas!

I dont have any experience with a super air. I have a Ski nautique 2001 from 1986 which has a similar shape hull. I wont list my set up cause its basically irrelevant. From my experience I have learned that if you are washy and not getting a good curl around 10-11mph then you dont have enough nose weight. Sorry if I am repeating what others have said.

My suggestion for a weight set up would be 5-600 in the bow, preferably close to the port side. The two rear locker tanks close to full and a 750 on the port side on the "arena" seats. Then bring your extra sacs with you in the boat and add more as needed. OR the best way to go would be get your buddies and their girlfriends, a couple 30 racks of beer and tell people to sit in certain places and move when you want to change the wake shape.
Old     (Brad_L)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-20-2010, 9:56 PM Reply   
Brandon, yes that's how we have ours set up. We usually have the stock starboard ballast already full for wakeboarding so we just leave it for surfing. I agree with you that you are not listing enough so leaving the starboard empty would probably be best. Fill your port locker like you are doing and then put one of those 440 pound sacks on the port side seat. We wrap a strap around ours and strap it to the tower so it doesn't roll off the seat. Then fill another one on the floor against the port seat and all the way towards the back. We never need to put a sac in the bow, we have people sit up there, always on the port side. If you don't have enough people, another sac on the port side of the bow and you should have a very surfable wave. Just get that thing listing as much as you can without sinking it.