Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-21-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
For all you guys who keep your boat on a lift.... what do you do to keep it from getting dirty??

I have seen these side skirts for lift canopies, anyone ever done diy side skirts?? seems like a pretty simple task to have a canvas shop make something. http://www.canopyskirts.com/main/Default.asp

I do cover my boat on the lift, but the cover I use doesnt fit good (its the wrong cover) and i end up having to bungee it to the lift frame. So its a pain taking it on and off. Anyone ever purchased one of these covers on e bay?? The best option would be a cover with a draw string so i dont have to strap it. I know this one cover states using a elastic cord to keep it snug... not sure how well that will work?? anyone ever goteen one of these cover off ebay??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Malib...ssoriesQ5fGear

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOAT-...ssoriesQ5fGear

Would covering or side skirts be the best option?? thoughts?? reccomendations?? side skirts maybe more convenient??

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-21-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
Maybe I'm lucky, but ours on a lift ... no cover at all (just a canopy like pictured) keeps it very clean.... we honestly do a spring and fall cleaning at that is it.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 06-21-2010 at 3:10 PM.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-21-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
Really?? Does yours tuck under further??? Do you cover it too??
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-21-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
Oops.. just noticed you said no cover
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-21-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
those skirts are cool and I was thinking of a local shop making them. I wonder what the avg cost is
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-21-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
I would think 75% of the cost would be materials, the canvas shop would only be cutting the material to size, finishing off the edges, installing grommets, and making a pocket to put some PVC in to weight the bottom
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-22-2010, 5:01 AM Reply   
I have to keep a cover on mine when its on the lift else it gets covered in bugs or spiderwebs. For the enterior, I wipe it down with 303 every month or so, get out the shop vac if its needed, maybe once a summer. For the outside I just wash it with a brush and soap every once in a while.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-22-2010, 6:52 AM Reply   
I added the skirting on my last boat, cost about $225 total, I think. Adding hte skirting will definately make the cover fit better, having the sides very long like that helps it stay on the baot better.

Not to mention it blocks all the harmful UV from hitting your gelcoat everyday.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-22-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
http://www.skiboatcovers.com/index.html
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-22-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
Getting a cover with a drawstring in the hem/edge is sooo much easier than a cover with straps.

As far as cleaning, I generally wipe it down while we are in the lake to get rid of water rings and scum at the water line and towel off what I can reach when it is on the lift. 2-3x a year I wil do a more thorough clean while it is on the lift with cleaners and wax.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-22-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
Bryce - my buddy on Medicine made canvas "walls" and they ripped when the wind came up. You need to either add "vents" on the sides so that wind passes through or an even better is to use a really heavy duty, tight weave MESH for the walls. This way the boat can breathe and dry out and any major dust/dirt will stay out from the walls.

You could turn the whole thing into a garage of sorts. I thought about doing it with your lift. The way that I envisioned it - the back and the dock side had a long pvc pipe on the bottom that you would "roll up" with the mesh sides and they would hang while the boat was in use and sit along the bottom when the boat is on the lift.

We can discuss more on the water this week.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-22-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
fyi...I shipped my cover to skiboatcovers.com to add the skirting. they make the add-on to quite a few covers and knows what works. I'd steer clear from local shops...you dont' wanna be their "first one"