Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (erik_a)      Join Date: May 2007       09-29-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
How do you folks care for your vest at the end of the season?

After riding in (somewhat) dirty lake water all season, do you soap it and scrub it? Just rinse it?

And what do you use for soap?
Old     (cgoode)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-29-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
I throw it up on a shelf in the garage and in the spring put it on and jump in to wash the dust off from the winter..
Old     (metz213)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-29-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
amen to that..i just hang mine up
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-29-2007, 4:46 PM Reply   
I ride in some dirty nasty water and wash all my vests once a month in an industrial washing machine (the huge ones at the laundry mat). Just set it on the delicate cycle and enjoy a cold beverage in the parking lot!! Dont use too much detergent...
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-29-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
don't be afraid to put it in the washing machine. It's made to be in water and they're more durable than the clothes you wash every day. Just don't do that to often and when you do use cold water on a gentle cycle. When it really comes down to it a new vest is always a good thing to get for Christmas.
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
A buddy that was big into diving would wash his wetsuit with a rag and some dawn and rinse it good. I never thought of trying the washing machine. I need to do something cuz last weekend I definitely noticed a funky odor when I put it on. Smells like a$$ and mushrooms.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-01-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
I wouldn't put it in a washing machine unless it was a front loader. The aggitator in the middle of most home washing machines i dont think is very good on the jacket. Plus when i washed mine the spin cycle spun the jacket so fast that when a part of it hit the lid (or something on the inside) that it burned right through the straps and then a little through the vest before i stopped the machine from the crazy noise. the cuts looked as if a hot knife were used to cut it. I repaired it with shoe goo and mom's sewing :-)

(FYI. i was washing it because the vest soaked up the smoke smell from when my upstairs neighbors caught the house on fire. All my and my wife's stuff was fine, just wet and smokey... but couldnt say the same for the neighbors, at least they were not hurt though)

(FYI GET RENTERS INSURANCE!!! for those of you renting... it might save you some day or make you temporary rich... we could have made bank if we had it, especially since we really didn't loose anything, it was just a big inconvenience really)

sorry for the off-topic tangent
Old     (erik_a)      Join Date: May 2007       10-02-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. We ended up using a bit of laundry detergent in the bathtub and scrubbing lightly.
Old     (josh_r_skater)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-03-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
i just throw it away
and get one next year
i dont want to start the new year with a dirty vest