Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-07-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
Is there a good place that does this and coats it? Or is most people just doing it themselves?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
I know that this might be far from you in Sacramento but it's a try.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/spo/367468039.html
Old    malibu73            07-07-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
You'll find that everyone will have a good suggestion on how to melt lead or where to get it. Most people will get used lead from wheel weights or shooting ranges, Melt it down with a Coleman camp fire grill or turkey fryer, and pour it into a bread pan or something similar.

Pop-products sells some lead shot bags and seem like a great product.

I have found that free weights work great. I have 2 50 pound round weights in my boat coated in carpet. They don't slide and don't really look all that bad.

I also use sand bag, they work great if you cover them so they wont leak. I put mine in pillow cases to make them look a little better.
Good luck in the search.
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-07-2007, 9:22 PM Reply   
pop products are killer. not cheap, but killer.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-08-2007, 11:54 PM Reply   
I have about ten 50lb lead bricks, that's about six more than I need. I will sell up to 6 of my extras for $25 each. I will be at McClure next weekend.

Mikeski
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-09-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
Mikeski,
I'll buy all 6 from from you. I'm sending you an email, and a PM if it will work.
Old     (johny421)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-11-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
used wheel weights I bought 200lbs for $10
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
wheel weights? u mean the little things that balance your tires? just melt those down?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-11-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
i don't even melt em. too much BS to save minimal space.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-11-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
You can go to a shooting range or use wheel weights, but instead of melting them down, go the Home Depot, and buy pipe of the appropriate size and caps. Then fill the tubes with lead, packing it down as you go. If you want to make them even heavier, you could add some anti-freeze or water depending on your climate. Much cleaner to work with that way.

Edit: Doh! Same thing as the craigslist ad accept you can do it yourself.

(Message edited by peter_c on July 11, 2007)
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
nice ideas. very cheap too. did you just call up tire stores and ranges?
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
also, i hate to be this lazy, but i assume you guys know this. what size pipes did you use for what weight? anywhere near the # is fine.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-11-2007, 1:38 PM Reply   
I used PVC pipe 4" , About 3' long melted lead will get the pipe to weigh about 45 lbs, loose lead will weigh about 25 lbs each.
I added a handle pull to the end caps to help in handling them, I also weighed and labeled each one so I could adjust them as needed.

Caution if you are going to melt the lead, put one end cap on and put empty pipe into a five gallon pail of water, this will help keep the PVC from melting as you fill, also if you are going to melt lead wear long sleeves, protective glasses, gloves and watch out for the fumes.

Cold water and hot lead do not mix.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-11-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
ummm, I would add the appropriate respirator to Danny's list.

Loose, call 'em up. Try to find mom and pop tire stores, they don't usually have arrangements for excess lead.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-11-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
I am in the process of melting lead. Rather than pouring them from one pot into another you could go to your local safeway or albertsons and pick up non stick bread pans for 3.99 each. I bought 5 of them. I plan on filling each with lead wheel weights, putting them on a camping stove and walking away. I should end up with lead bricks about the same size as a regular brick, with very little handling involved.
Old     (johny421)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-12-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
I just use small duffel bags. they don't roll around and are easy to move.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-12-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
When I was in the search for weight, I called about 20 tire shops and shooting ranges and not one was willing to give up lead scraps/weights. I ended up with 4 60 pound sand bags for 3 dollars each from Home Depot and 6 50 pound shot bags.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-12-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
matt, thats a great idea.

jeb, i use small canvas bags. bout 25 each. I can move them with one hand while driving if i need to.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
Rod, for lead scrap its really a face to face thing IMHO. From those I have talked to, lead is a VERY touchy topic regarding disposal, especially in CA. What worked for me was going to get my truck's oil change, BS'ing with the guy about his boat and eventually talking about picking up lead. I imagine most places would be paranoid about saying yes to someone on the phone, since they very well could be the EPA or something.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-12-2007, 7:40 PM Reply   
The technique that matt mentioned, worked for me, as well. Originally, the tire shop was going to charge me $15 per 50lbs of lead tire weights . . . after BS'ing some, they sold me the lead for $5 per 50 lbs.
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
I got about 120lbs (all they had) from a local small shop for $5. They had just finished balancing my trailer tires and after a little BS'ing I asked about all the old lead in the box over there... I had a $5 bill in my pocket. We traded.