Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    alanp            01-26-2010, 6:47 PM Reply   
well i was thinking about getting a new full suspension bike but decided i would rather just update my old hardtail. its a rocky mtn thin air, aluminum frame. it has bontrager race lite wheels and i was thinking of getting mavic crossmax' which i can get on ebay for a couple hundred bucks(i have and wanna keep my v brakes).

not sure what derailleurs to go with. it has old xt and i was thinking of sram x0 or x9? maybe xtr is there much of a difference?

i want a new crankset and bottom bracket too but there seems to be so many choices, any ideas? ive been looking on ebay and just get overwhelmed.

and lastly i wanna get a new fork, but have no idea what im looking at. i have an marzocchi bomber.

maybe i should just look at a whole bike. i dunno.
Old     (wake1012)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-26-2010, 6:58 PM Reply   
xo stuff is great. For forks I would get a fox by far they are top of line. If that helps at all.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-26-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
Turn it into a single speed and save alot of money and weight. You can get a chain tensioner and rear cogs for about $25-$30 and you and strip off two chainrings on your cranks and ditch the deraileurs.

Chris
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2010, 9:39 PM Reply   
I am no wrench.....just like to ride.

That said, I personally would go XT/X9 and put the money savings elsewhere....

My entire drivetrain is XT and I could not be happier. It has been bulletproof.... Now watch, I am doing a 4 day 100M supported ride in May and am going to have a chitload of issues for saying that....

In the end, want a lot of answers...

http://forums.mtbr.com/
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-26-2010, 10:24 PM Reply   
Looking at what you want to replace and the fact it is a hard tail, you would be better off getting an entire bike. There are some smokin' deals on used bikes. Just make sure it is not stolen. My friend just had his garage broken into and they unloaded over $10K worth of stuff.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-26-2010, 11:34 PM Reply   
last year I dumped the old hardtail and snatched up a SantaCruz Blur LT full suspension rig. It is so much more fun to ride than the old hardtail, just does everything better. At $1800 it was not cheap but it sure beat the $3600 new price tag.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-27-2010, 5:38 AM Reply   
Nice choice Mike!
Upload
Old    alanp            01-27-2010, 5:59 AM Reply   
you guys on the fs rigs, do you feel like youre losing alot of power/energy transfer with the rear suspension? i rode one and it was really bouncy(although it wasnt dialed in for me) and i couldnt imagine climbing on a fs bike
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-27-2010, 6:32 AM Reply   
I agree with wakejunky, turn it into a single speed, and get a new FS later down the line (if you still want one)

I have two bikes, a Turner full suspension, and a Spot single speed. I'm on the Spot 80% of the time...
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-27-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
Never really notice any energy loss, though I have a RP23..... 90% of the time, I have my rear shock locked out(you still get movement).

Have never understood the fascination w/ single speed bikes.... In fact, the only application I could see myself even considering one is as my commuter....

As far as a single speed for a dedicated MTN bike, I would have to assume you are riding trails that are FAR DIFFERENT from what I am?
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-27-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
EJ it's hard to explain the single speed fascination until you ride one for a while, they may not be for everyone, but here's my view:

I rode and raced geared MTB's since the mid 80s, and it's a change back to basics, just pure riding without all the gears or suspension. Many of the guys I ride with have them in addition to geared bikes, for a change of pace.
As far as different trails from what you ride, I don't know where you ride. If you shuttle to the top, and bomb downhill, no single speeds are not for you! Otherwise, cross-country, and technical single track are awesome on one.

As far as climbing goes, we let the single speeders go ahead of the geared bikes, because they climb faster, due to the higher gear, and less weight.
There are a few climbs that can't be cleaned on a single speed, but 90% of the time it's a section that can't be cleaned with gears either.

The times I prefer my gears and suspension are on the long 3 hour plus in the saddle rides where the comfort is appreciated, and desert riding where suspension and gears really help in rocky, sandy washes.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-27-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
I would probably convert your current bike to SS and save up and get a GOOD FS.

I have both, a Fisher Rig SS that I ride every day in Illinois and a Blur Lt that I leave at my house in Colorado. If I tried to ride a SS in the mountains, it would kill me.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       01-27-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
I have a Santa Cruz as well (Blur XC) that pedals great uphill with pro pedal on. It is light weight and accelerates very well. I wish I could ride a single speed, but I need gears to get my out of shape butt up the hill.

As far as putting new components on your bike, buying components is really expensive. To do it right, you should replace the entire drivetrain. That means new front/rear derailleurs, chain, crankset, bottom bracket, shifter, cassette. This would be around $600 for XT and at least double for XTR. Then add $500-$600 for a decent fork and you are well on your way to a new bike.

bike
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-27-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
Those are some nice Santa Cruz's there! Great bikes.

Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot to mention my very favorite part of single speeding - The feeling I get when I ride past some kid half my age, huffing and puffing, PUSHING his 27 speed bike up a steep hill, and he looks down and realizes I've only got one gear!! ...priceless
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       01-27-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Chris - that has happened to many many times - I am always impressed when some dude on a single speed flies by me on a long fire road climb. Heck I get passed going downhill by guys on rigid single speeds.

I need to get back into shape.
Old    alanp            01-27-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
well sounds like i just need to pick up a new bike then.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-27-2010, 2:37 PM Reply   
Good idea Alan, you could easily spend more on components than the frame is worth. You really should consider turning yours into a single and then you'll have both...

My Spot,
Upload
going out for a ride in about an hour
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-27-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
alan, I have a f/s freeride. When in AZ I actually found it easier to climb, but my hard tail was dated-like yours. I say get a good frame and replace the cheap parts as they break. Unless you have the cash then get everything upgraded. That is what I have been doing with my Kona. Granted there isn't much use for a full suspension in south fl. The only justification for a new bike for us is that it it will get you out riding more since it's new. But even if you don't want a free ride go with a cross country f/s. Email jermy and see how he likes his f/s. And discs are cheap now and you are in a wet area so go for the discs if you go with a new bike. My hardtail just sits in the garage now.
Old    alanp            01-27-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
justin i remember that bike hanging up in your garage the dust on that thing double the weight of it hahha. my bike now doesnt have cheap parts just older, xt front and rear, race face cranks avid brakes and the wheelset alone was 750 bucks back when they were new. im not really interested in riding a ss. my idea behind rebuilding the existing frame was that it was an aluminum frame and unless i upgrade to a carbon frame i dont know how much benefit i can get from a new aluminum frame. that was the idea behind rebuilding the old frame. but looking at prices i can prolly just pick up a complete bike for a not too much more. ill put my chick on my old ride.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-27-2010, 10:55 PM Reply   
I feel my full suspension blur LT climbs better than my hardtail did. On fast climbs the rear tire stays on the ground better and I am more comfortable through bumpy areas. I usually lockout my pro-pedal shock but it still moves a bit.

EJ, my bike looks exactly like yours even the same color! XT/X9 with juicy X7 brakes.
Old     (gbphantom)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-28-2010, 9:30 PM Reply   
Hey Alan what hubs are on your racelite wheelset?