Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    tjensen            07-28-2004, 6:05 PM Reply   
Has any one run hose for a do-it yourself ballast system on a Malibu 99 Sunsetter LXI (or comparable). I’m curious about any gotchas you may have encountered or ingenious ideas of where you ran yours for your system before I tackle mine.

Thanks
“Standing on the shoulders of giants”
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-28-2004, 10:07 PM Reply   
See Tanks&More on E-Bay. They have all the hose and fittings you need at great prices. The white spiral hose works great for ballast systems. I even replaced my hard PVC with this stuff. They have it in almost any size you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56984&item=3815327 045

The reversible Simer pumps from BE Atlas for $65 each work pretty well if you are not in too big of hurry.

My guess would be 500-600 up front and the same in back.
Old    tjensen            07-29-2004, 5:23 AM Reply   
Thanks Mike, now I have all of the material and am ready to drill the holes for the hose. Hoping someone with a similar boat has already done it so they can give me advise on where to drill.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-29-2004, 9:41 AM Reply   
I mounted my pump to the ski pylon under the floor. It's mounted up off the floor to keep it dry. I drilled a 1 inch hole from the bilge area into the ski locker. You'll see that the battery cables go through that area too. From there, I 'T'ed off and drilled a hole behind the battery in the storage compartment behind the observer's seat to get a hose into the bow cusion area.

I also ran a hose aft along the steering cable and up behind the back seat where I bring it out the side of the back seat and fill a bag between the engine box and the back seat.

I used a Jabsco Ballast Puppy reversable pump and a thru hull fitting.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-29-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
One more thing. If you do a thru hull, make sure you put a sea-cock valve on it before you make the transition from Bronze to plastic.
Old    tjensen            07-29-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
John,

Good stuff. I also am filling a sac between the engine compartment and seat. So I’ll follow the path you described. I have a question though about the route through the ski locker. I looked at where they ran the battery cables also, but since I am filling a 375lb sac in the ski locker I thought with the hoses running through there, there might be some restrictions when the sac fills up. My sac takes up the whole locker when I’ve filled it manually. Have you had any issues?