Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    jmccallum            05-22-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
Can a Volvo Penta I/O Throttle control be converted from "push" to "pull"?

Right now my throttle control pushes the Morse cable to open the throttle. Unfortunately, the PP I bought requires that it be a "pull" to open the throttle.

I know the old O/B control could work either way. Does anyone know if this one can be converted?

Four Winns - Volvo Penta (OMC) 4.3 SX

Old    kmc            05-22-2003, 9:30 AM Reply   
James, I have the same motor as you do but I haven't looked close enough to make an informed decision so I am only making an assumed guess. I am also not familiar with the PP setup so I don't know if this helps but it just may be some food for thought.

I don't know if changing the shifter will solve your problem because the carb linkage will still be setup to push. I think what you need to do is convert the linkage at the carb from a push to a push/pull combo. You would sort of end up with a bell-crank type linkage as shown.

Ken

PP Linkage
Old    arlanj            05-22-2003, 9:41 AM Reply   
Have you talked to the guys at PP. They will get you lined out on how to make it work.

Old    jmccallum            05-22-2003, 10:51 AM Reply   
Ken,
The bell crank on the carb has two posts for the morse cable. Converting the carb to "pull" would only require un-hooking the Morse cable from the "push" post below the pivot to the "pull" post above the pivot.

Also, The PP cables acts like a mini-link in your "pull" cable. In effect it changes length to increase or decrease the throttle setting a little bit from your manual setting.

Potter,
I have spoken to PP and they think it might be a bust. I'm just playing out my options. Unfortunately, my boat is three hours away and I don't plan to go to the cottage for the next three weeks. So I'm left thinking about options at home.

Does anyone, know how makes the throttle control I posted? I've looked at Teleflex, Simplicity Marine Drives and Morse so far with no luck at finding a match.
Old    gifford            05-22-2003, 12:04 PM Reply   
James
I have an 87 OMC with Carb. I believe I had the same situation. OMC is push/pull. I took the control off and disassembled the back of the control. I flipped the cam 180 degrees. This will
pull/push just like a Merc.

This also changed the cable attachment points at the carb. I made a new plate and had to drill holes. Being neither mechanic or engineer this took some experimentation but I finally got it working. I wish I had PP 10 years ago.

Tom
Old    jmccallum            05-22-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
I think that's it. I can't find my exact throttle control but this Morse Teleflex is so close I think that it is it!

In which case it is reversible.
As I mentioned before the carb has two posts on the bell crank already.

The hard part is going to be waiting three weeks to find out for sure........ahhhh
Old    jmccallum            05-22-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
Did I understand you TJ, you have PP up and running on what used to be a "push" system?

How long have you had your pp?
Old    gifford            05-22-2003, 1:42 PM Reply   
It is up and running. I put it on last summer.
Bought one from Whit!!!
Old    jmccallum            05-22-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
Whit?

How long did the "pull/push" conversion take?
Old    gifford            05-23-2003, 7:06 AM Reply   
A couple embarrassing weekends showing my buddies
how it doesn't work and I got it dialed in.

Like I said I'm no engineer or mechanic but a guy
who wanted it to work.

An hour and you could have the shifter rotated
and depending on your carb a couple hours of head scratching and experimentation. Maybe less......maybe alot more!!!

Once it's working you will have a HUGE Grin on your face. Constant speed on an I/O Freaking Great!!! Well worth the effort.
Old    jmccallum            05-23-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
I can't wait to get to my boat. three weeks is going to be a long time.

P.S. How much do you trim up your I/O? I've heard about people using a lot of trim to enhance the wake. Right now I'm limited by how much speed stability I want to give up.

P.P.S. Is it hard to gte your I/O settled down speed and trim wise before you engage the PP?
Old    gifford            05-23-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
I trim to get rid of the wash. Different water
conditions sometimes require more trim. I know
my buddies trim it all the way out and it gets huge for an I/O. Sorry I don't have any pics.

The PP kicks in as soon as you hit the set speed.
It takes hold before you even get a chance to mess
with the trim. Of course it adjusts the speed the
whole time your playing with the trim. Within a .5 mph of course.

600 or 700 pounds up front helps also.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-23-2003, 9:23 AM Reply   
this may or may not not help because i have a Morse ski boat throttle lever, but i had to convert mine to a pull type throttle as well. PP said they'd never even seen an inboard with a push throttle. furthermore, a push throttle is said to be more likely to stick OPEN if the cable breaks :-O, so a pull throttle is safer. not sure that i agree with that, because either way the butterfly spring would have to overcome the friction in the cable, but anyway...

i also have the installation / owner's manual for the control, and the conversion was clearly explained within. i had to actually reroute the cable to the other side of the motor, flip the lever 180º at the Morse head, and switch the spring detent around that allows the boat to go into gear w/out revving the motor.

good luck.
Old    chris_hargis            05-23-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
Hey James, sounds like you are not facing the impossible!!! Just like me, you will have to do a little work to make it work, but the hardest thing I faced was talking my wife into it. Certainly helps ot have someone who has done it before. Good luck and keep me posted.
Old    davec            05-23-2003, 10:29 AM Reply   
Trim as much as you can until it begins to porpoise. On butter you can trim almost half way up. Poor water no trim. Water conditions control trim.
Old    jmccallum            05-23-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
I'll just have to take a part my throttle control next time I'm at the cottage. Crumbs it's going to kill me to wait three weeks!

I think the change on the carb will be easy. Just move the cable from one post to the other and adjust the length. I can't change sides of the carb, the auto-choke is there and the routing maybe too hard.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how I make out