Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       02-16-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
Everybody has heard horror stories of people who tear their ACL or break their femars wakeboarding. Being a fall sport athlete, who loves to wakeboard, what precautions can one take to help prevent injuries while wakeboarding? An advise can and would help. Thanx in advance
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-16-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
Be strong, be flexible and have a good diet.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-16-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
Work out and increase your strength, especially in your legs. If you are in good condition, strong, not overweight, it will decrease your chances of getting hurt, but nothing will prevent injury 100%. Personally, I do core training, squats, cardio in the gym 3-4 times a week.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-16-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
Don't wakeboard
Old    innov8actionsports.com            02-16-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
Wakesurfing!!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-16-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
Big Heavy hit it on the head. Stretching is probably the most important. Being flexable. Strength training and last but not least endurance. alot of unjuries seem to occur when when people are fatiqued.
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-17-2007, 12:41 AM Reply   
What others have said here plus do not try tricks that are beyond your ability. Because I am much older now, I no longer try new more advanced tricks because a bad fall could now land me in the hospital. I am happy and satisfied with the tricks I can do now and have a really fun time wakeboarding. Again, Have Fun!
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-17-2007, 5:22 AM Reply   
femars? try femurs
Old     (ctstarnes)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-17-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
You can get hurt doing just about anything, I have raced road bikes for 11 years, am new to wakeboarding, and ripped my ACL running a little over a month ago when i stepped on a dog that was trying to bite me... just have fun doing whatever it is you like...don't take too much risk...
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-17-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
Chris, you stepped on a dog that was trying to bite you. What happened to the dog? You should sue the owner for pain and suffering.
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-17-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
strib,
sue and MD=bad
won't mention that to christopher
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-17-2007, 9:13 PM Reply   
Injuries happen, especially in sports that involve high impact. People get injured in all different scenarios, warming up, pushing their progression; its gonna happen. I have yet to meet a wakeboarder who hasnt had some sort of injury so its not a matter of "if" but "when". Train hard, stay on top of your physical fitness and know what to do when you or a friend gets hurt. Accepting the fact that it will happen is a lot easier than convincing yourself that it wont.
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       02-20-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
A lot of that makes sense. Does anyone use a knee brace (pre-injury) to help prevent injuries?
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-20-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
IMO I would not wear a knee brace as a pre-caution. It can actually do more harm than good. It restricts you knee's natural movement. If you don't have knee problems, don't use them.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-20-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
our litigious society...

aren't some pro's wearing them as precaution?

stay fit, with strong legs and core. Stay within your ability. you'll be fine.
Old     (ctstarnes)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
i would like to sue the dog itself for pain and suffering but i live in a town of 5,000...i would make the news if i were to sue....nevermind, the dog's house is probably only worth 10 bucks.... wearing a brace as a prophylaxis is not advised, keep good medical insurance and always have an xbox at home for when you can't walk! if you don't take a few risks in life, you won't feel alive...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-20-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
Lyman blew one knew and wore a brace on both, but now he doesnt, I would interested to hear what he has to say on this. Likewise Randy Harris has been spotted sporting braces on both knees, curious what he thinks as well.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
best thing i could say would be make sure your stretched out well before you go. thats made a huge difference for me. a lil lifting doesnt hurt either. that'll help prevent injuries alltogether
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-21-2007, 12:31 AM Reply   
I second Matt's comments a few above this. It's not if, it's when. Just try to minimize it with the advice in the posts here.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-21-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
Stay in the house.....
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-21-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
Do some stretches on the sundeck before you ride. Stretching prevents injuries!!!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-21-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
I think Dallas Friday said it best.... with a sport like wakeboarding....at any given time you can instantly become a spectator sitting in the stands. All great suggestions guys...diet, exercise, and stretches. Another would be make sure your gear is in good shape...ropes, bindings, board and tow boat. I knew a friend that messed up his ankle pretty bad with the old powerboots from Hyperlite. It is necessary to upgrade and update some of your gear.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-21-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
Learn how to fall and fall often. Most people dont get hurt trying new tricks, they get hurt being lax while throwning their easy stuff or trying to pull out of bad execution of their easy stuff. They also get hurt when falls come to an unprepaired body. The guys who go out and never fall, doing stand up runs every time get hurt when they catch the random digger, pulling muscles etc.

Just stay aware during your run and turn it loose when things go bad early. Keep pushing and falling so you stay used to the impact.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-21-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
Yup Jason's right on. Dont forget a good solid warmup before jumping the wake and getting into your stock stuff. The colder it is, the longer your warm up should be. Between a poor warmup and not respecting a stock trick I am now the owner of a new ACL.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-21-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
matt pretty much nailed it. I mixed up the following:

-55 degree water
-no warmup
-a simple indy 180 taken bigger than it should have
-being out of shape
-no regular plyometrics

and all I got was a new ACL. Just try to limit dumb risks as much as you can- all 5 of those factors above were obvious before my knee went poof, I got what I deserved, and I suspect +90% of ACL injuries are well deserved. If I had been smarter I'd still be full of OEM parts.