Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-26-2010, 5:21 AM Reply   
Well another thread made me go on a tangent about my favorite tricks so I figured why not, we all have a favorite FEELING trick. This doesn't have to be your most difficult trick by any means,
Just the ones that feel best to you.
To me it's a method Pete grabbed from start to finish. It almost feels like I'm doing a misty flip or something like it on a snowboard). I like to do it best off a kcket because I can really boost it and get that feeling and also get a little less inverted.
stale glide, hoochie glide, nuclear glide, a real method grab, method scarecrow super grabbed with front knee just crunched, and suprisingly a nice toeside Indy backroll (not women pro tour style) grab in the beginning to slow the trick down and really snap back and just land cruising down the lake. There is also nothing like a good feeling LONG back lip.

That's what I like to do when I'm out.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-26-2010, 5:55 AM Reply   
My bag of tricks is pretty damn slim so right now its these two that get me amped up: My best poked tail grab, and stomping my newly aquired HS1. Man, that seems pretty weak after your list....but we all gotta start somewhere I guess!
Old     (hyperliterider90)      Join Date: May 2010       05-26-2010, 6:18 AM Reply   
a good indy tantrum2blind
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-26-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
halfcab roll......into the flats
Old     (austin_the_wakeboard_man)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-26-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
A big HUGE laid out Tantrum2Fakie
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-26-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
I LOVE just doing Methods, Good Clean Methods.

If I had to pick a Favorite, it would be a big old beefy Method to Blind off the Dub. Its all about managing the line tension right so you dont get stuck and can pull it to blind, love that trick!
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-26-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
Locking in a pressed front-board or back lip Nothing like it.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-26-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
My pet peeve, but there is no such thing as a 'method' crow or a 'method' Pete (or at least I've never seen one). Those are melan grabs, or maybe nosenchaly if outside the boot. But, good question. My fav's are toe 3's and back 1's with grabs, spinning the last part late, landing wrapped up and locked in. Big straight air shifty indy pokes and stales are very fun too. A good floaty indy tanny holding the grab is very fun too. Though, with the spring we've had in Nor Cal, these are all distant memories.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-26-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
Currently, melan ts 3 w/o passing the handle.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-26-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
Michael, that is one of my favorites as well, especially with a good poke mmmmm....

I've always liked melan crows as well, railing in and launching is fantastic.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-26-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
A HS1 with a long grab.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-26-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
I'm always down with a big boned out tail grab toe back one!

And a batwing to blind!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-26-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
right now it's a b/s 360 but i'm working on a indy b/s 180.at my age the grabs are harder to get all the time.but i'll keep grabing!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-26-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
A big fat tail grab shifty with the underside of the board to the boat and the nose pointed down at the water. Hold as long as you can, and take it as big as possible.

Otherwise.... a toe side back side 1 with a late grab while you're unwinding is fun. So is a heelside backside 3 with a late grab.

Actually... there aren't too many tricks that I don't like. Taking them big and getting long grabs on them is what I really like. Nothing like a big straight up boot and a smooth slow rotation with a nice long grab.

I can't wait till it actually stops raining so we can ride. This weather is bumming me out.
Old     (rivrat)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-26-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
I like throwing a super clean batwing, hoochie glides and super poked out ts w2w stalefish one where it looks like your going to do a ts1 and you bring it back at the last second those are the tricks that i like
Old     (rivrat)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-26-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
And hey its sunny in norcal today so mabey I can throw some of those down tonight
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-26-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
BCH, the method melan argument is one of those never ending ones, but in pete rose terms whenever someone grabs in the "melan" position on the board, they always call it a method pete. I don't think i've ever heard someone call it a melon pete, but to even get more technical, i think the trick needs to be grabbed to be called a pete rose personally. Have you seen an ungrabbed pete? What an awkward looking trick. Plus it is really hard to get the rotation without going for or getting the grab. And for scarecrows I again have only heard of them referred to as method, never melon whether its a method crow or method crow mobe. If I do an off axis 180 but more glidey into the flats, that's when i use the term melon ie melon off axis 180. Why I have no idea?
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
ok to end the debate. A method is not a grab. a method is a move. the grab is melan and to make it a method is to put it perpendicular to the boat. So i agree with BCH
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-26-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperliterider90 View Post
a good indy tantrum2blind
ive never landed one but i can imagine this as one of the sickest feeling tricks out there. i love how jd and rathy do them where they get less inverted and more off axis. i know that has to be a sick feeling trick. That pretty much is how i learn tricks now is what I think will feel cool in the air, so im going to put the indy tanny to b on the top of the list. I also this the wrapped ts oa grabbed 1s and 3s look like they would have that special feeling too. I basically just like the feeling that I am snowboarding and not restricted by a handle. With the pete, you really dont worry about the handle pass until you hit the water so you just get to kind of be one with the trick in the air.

Crow mobes to me don't have that same fluid feeling where that last 180 seems like it doesn't belong there, you have to force your body to do it. I think they are probably the easiest mobe and maybe if you had a real sick long grab on it it would feel cool, but i haven't done one grabbed and i don't do them regular anymore because i just don't like the feel. Another trick that I hate feel wise is whirlybirds. What an unnatural feeling trick to me. Now when lyman does his mute ts ole 7s which technically can be considered a crowmobe because he gets pretty inverted but still more off axis, that sh*t looks like it feels awesome.

Mute ole 5s are a really cool feeling trick and I do them with the spin in mind so i don't do a mute scarecrow. If you go in thinking ole 5, you will just do a scarecrow. You have to go in thinking in between flat spin and off axis 5 and then it comes out like Keith's but that would be amazing to take to 7 although that would probably be much more difficult then it sounds.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-26-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
A huge HS 5 into the flats, then maybe a legit Elephant, not 'Elefront' like I typically do and 3rd would be solid Mute grab on a stalled out TS3.

-Uj
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-26-2010, 2:12 PM Reply   
Oh yes Jessie i forgot about an elephant, huge way out into the flats Gregg Necrason style. Still one of my favorite tricks to see if i pop in a video and definitely one of my favorite tricks to do.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-26-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
I'm really having fun doing HS Front Flips right now....it's just kind of a rush because it seems to make you a little disorianted when you keep your eyes open the whole time (from the end over end rotation), and at times it doesn't feel like you're really rotating that fast, but when you come around and still have a second to prepare for the landing it's a fantastic feeling.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-26-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
W2W pushed out heel grab. I like it because it's the closest thing to an actual trick I can do..
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-26-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   

from adam holdsworth on Vimeo.

Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-27-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
HS Fronts to me are super fun but super scary in that it feel like you are upsidedown FOREVER, then Boom... there is the water!

I forgot to say why... for me the HS5 is one of, if not the trick I am most proud of, so when I land a huge one in the flats it gets me stoked. The big 'ol E into the flats is sick because is feels like you flat out flying through the air forever, but in a far more controlled way than the HS Front.

-Uj
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-27-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
I like the feeling of a big late BS1. Its cool watching the water all the way round and seeing the wakes behind you as you ride away. I actually prefer the feeling without grabbing it because it seems a lot slower to me.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-28-2010, 2:08 AM Reply   
Adam that was a nice 911, enjoyed that.

At cable big late sbend to blinds feel wicked, off the kicker off axis grabbed TS BS 1 feels amazing, and BS 5's grabbed after the first 3 since it essentially splits the trick into 2 distinct pieces.
Old    benj_t            05-28-2010, 5:16 PM Reply   
melon crowmobes feel pretty awesome when you land them blind
mute heelside off axis 360s off the double up feel super floaty and you can grab them forever
moby dicks, heelside 720s, batwing to blinds, tailgrab scarecrows (since no one does those) etc...

and for rails, you cant go wrong with a pressed back lip

every trick feels awesome

Last edited by benj_t; 05-28-2010 at 5:19 PM.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-28-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
I'm going to have to agree with evan on this one. A big boned out shifty tail grab pointed to the water and tw bottom of the board Facing the boat. Such a good lookin and good feeling move. There's also no better feeling than a big ole long and poked method way out there. Ok is it morning yet? I'm ready to ride.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-28-2010, 10:38 PM Reply   
Man this is a good thread! Sweet 911. My favorite trick to do is see how big I can go off the double up. It is usually just a plain old raley, but man it is the closest thing to flying I've ever come. I have a very few tricks that I pulled off that I will remember forever. A double up raley, double up hoochie glide, and a triple up tantrum. All were big enough that I will never forget them.