Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-30-2012, 8:55 PM Reply   
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/L...ern-mad-112912

punished for sitting players

ridiculous

the NBA would be much better without him
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-01-2012, 12:40 AM Reply   
AARP got the best if him
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
$250,000 fine?! WTF?! Seriously that's absurd. You can't run your team the way you want?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-01-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
As if the fans in miami are paying to see the spurs play. Gimme a break.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-01-2012, 12:02 PM Reply   
^I would say they are. I think the fans should be treated to the "best" product the NBA can offer. Personally, I would be pissed if I shelled out the money for a ticket to watch a game and the whole starting five was back in San Antonio. I would feel the same if I was a San Antonio fan and Miami chose not to play Lebron, Wade, and Bosh on the same night. Save that sheet for the preseason.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-01-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
You go to a game you are paying to watch a team play not any individual players. I'd like to see what rule they broke? Or is stern again just doing whatever he wants again. The nba is so screwed up, probably why i don't watch it anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-01-2012, 3:05 PM Reply   
^That's BS. Look at Cleveland's attendance since LJ went to Miami. The 90's Bulls weren't selling out every arena because of John Paxton, Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, and Will Perdue.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-01-2012, 4:24 PM Reply   
The game was a very exciting and close game according to the article. All the players on the team are the best the country has to offer. Just to make it in the NBA means you are one of the best players on the planet. As a fan i understand I want to see the top tier guys on the floor. These guys are human though and get banged up. I think Pop is smart for letting a few of his key players have a little time off to spend with family and heal up a bit. For Steran to pull an idiotic move like this is ridiculous. I have never been a fan of Stearn and have always wondered how he has been the commissioner all this time.

For the NBA to slap a fine because a few players needed some well deserved rest is unconscionable. Sure some of the folks who paid to see Duncan, Parker Ginobli etc may have been a tad disappointed, but they were treated to a very competitive game by professional ballers What Stearn is saying without saying it with this move is that the money comes before the players health..
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-01-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
STERN FINALLY DID SOMETHING RIGHT!

Great move by the awful commissioner..

This had nothing to do with rest... We are 16 games into the season!!. Parker is 29 years old! Green is 25 years old.

Pop decided he wasnt happy with the scheduling and thought he would troll the NBA.... You lose. The spurs are not bigger then the NBA.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-01-2012, 9:59 PM Reply   
"^That's BS. Look at Cleveland's attendance since LJ went to Miami. The 90's Bulls weren't selling out every arena because of John Paxton, Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, and Will Perdue."

My point exactly. Nothing against duncan,parker, manu, etc. those guys arent why people tune in to a nationally televised game, or buy a ticket in miami. Lebron, dwade are the reason people tune in.
Yeah, if you are a spurs fan in miami, it sucks. But pop did this last year and no one said anything. Stern is a dictator, and is proving it with this fine.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-02-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
If the spurs won, which they almost did, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Attendance has more to do with winning and losing then who is playing.

It doesn't matter if a team has any superstars. If Michael Jordan played on a crappy losing team no one would go to watch. if you have a winning team the fans come out no matter who is playing.

My real gripe is that Stearn is an evil dictator and doesn't treat each team fairly and equally. He has favorites and treats them accordingly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-02-2012, 1:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrigo View Post
"^That's BS. Look at Cleveland's attendance since LJ went to Miami. The 90's Bulls weren't selling out every arena because of John Paxton, Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, and Will Perdue."

My point exactly. Nothing against duncan,parker, manu, etc. those guys arent why people tune in to a nationally televised game, or buy a ticket in miami. Lebron, dwade are the reason people tune in.
Yeah, if you are a spurs fan in miami, it sucks. But pop did this last year and no one said anything. Stern is a dictator, and is proving it with this fine.
What about my statement is BS!????

This had nothing to do with rest and everything to do with pop trying to be bigger then the league.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-02-2012, 3:22 PM Reply   
Are you kidding me? Anyone who says nobody bought tickets to see Micheal Jordan play is on crack. no offence but think about what you're saying? When Jordan went to the wizards even after age 40 ticket sales went up!!!! While I a That being said I do not think Stearn should have penalized Pop. If Pop does it more than once then maybe you have a power struggle and something needs to be looked at.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-02-2012, 5:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrigo View Post

You're crazy. While they're certainly not drawing the numbers LJ, Durant, Rose, Koby, they are still plenty of Duncan and Parker fans.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-03-2012, 4:55 PM Reply   
Im surprised you guys feel so strongly against this. I think 250k is steep but I think Stern DEFINITELY had to send a message here and I support his decision. It's the slippery slope argument, but if this went unpunished (as said, it wasn't just 1 player and 2/4 are <30), then every team would start doing this. Kobe would never travel to Toronto, DC, Cleveland, etc. You would only see top players in the big games. The NBA product as a whole would be a joke. Wins and Losses would practically have asterisks because a good chunk of one or both teams didn't play...not because of injury. The competition/importance of the game would diminish. It sounds extreme, but why wouldnt it happen? Kobe in particular comes to mind, maybe other older superstars like Dirk, KG, Ray Allen, etc.

I think 50k would have gotten the job done, but this was necessary to preventing the NBA from becoming a joke. People already bash the NBA for players not trying/regular season being unimportant...this would increase that sentiment exponentially
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-03-2012, 9:38 PM Reply   
Youre crazy if you think kobe would miss any game, barring a serious injury. Kobe runs the lakers, and has the final say on anything in that organization. If you are a spurs fan, do you care if your starters miss half a dozen games during the season, to rest up for the playoffs? I wouldnt care. Especially when it comes at the end of a 6 game road trip, where they played liked 6 games in 8 days or something crazy.
When is stern going to fine the teams who tank seasons by sitting their only good players for the last 25 games of the year, with "injuries"? Teams have been doing this crap for years. Whats the difference? At least the spurs are doing it for the greater good of the current season.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-04-2012, 2:46 AM Reply   
^By then, if they suck that bad, they have lost much of the fan base anyways. The beginning of the season vs. the end of the season...there's the difference.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-04-2012, 7:44 AM Reply   
The NBA is a joke and has been for a decade. This fine proves that the NBA is primarily an entertainment venue and not an athletic competition. I could understand being upset if they went out there and put a team on the floor that wasn't competitive, but the Spurs outplayed them all game. Every player on the floor for the spurs was an accomplished player. Most were the star of their respective Olympic teams. Its not like they called up a bunch of D league players.

Bottom line is that if this was truly about competition, then every team should be able to do whatever they want to give themselves the best shot at the title. If that means resting everyone then so be it. If its about entertainment then everyone should be required to play in every game, injured or not, and someone should sign The Rock.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-04-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
So for the fan who saves up his money to see his team play at the end of the year, is less important than if he bought a ticket for an early season game? Tanking games by sitting your best players to gain a 5% advantage to get the top pick, is waaaay worse than sitting your stars early in the season to help ensure they are rested when the playoffs start.
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-05-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
So let me ask this question, once a team has locked up a playoff spot is it ok for them to sit their stars?
Why was Miami not punished on April 24 &26 last season for sitting the big 3 against Boston and Washington not to mention getting crushed 104-70 in the last game of the season? For Stern to pick and choose who and when he wants to fine teams is stupid.