Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-03-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
I asked Kevin this yesterday. Appreciated the input. Thought I'd throw this up to any other Enzo owners who are monkeying around with ballasts/wake shape, etc. Basically, I have an '04 Enzo SV230 and I'm pondering upgrading my weighting/wakeshaping. Currently,I have a stock 250# hard tank in the starboard rear compartment, and since we surf, I have a 750# fat sac on the port rear (I feel them both until the hard tank is full; that way my wakeboarding wake is the same on both sides). Anyway, what if:
1) I install a switchblade? Can I even retro-fit a switchblade? How would that effect my wake, and do you like it?
2) Instead of the switchblade, what if I removed the hard tank, moved the 750# fat sac to the starboard v-drive storage area, and put an "Enzo sac" in the port side (to increase surf wake; again, I'll just fill them equally for wakeboarding...slightly over-filling the enzo sac, then bleeding it as I see fit to equalize the sides of the wake).
3) I have no weight up front. If I add weight up there, will it affect the peakiness of my wake? i.e. what would adding weight up front do?
4) I have the manual wakeplate, that is all the way up, and I've never adjusted. Would having a powered bennett plate help me to accomplish some desired wake-shaping (instead of a swithchblade).
Thanks for all the advice (hopefully this doesn't get hijacked by non-Centurion folks...)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-03-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
To make the wake sharper you will need to add more weight to the back if you add weight to the front it will make it more of a ramp. I am not a huge swichblade or wedge fan I don't like draging even more stuff. having said that IT is VERY effective.
I think I would go with the second option with the bennett trim tab or the manual one all the way up.

Good luck let us know what you do
Old     (boardridesurf)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
Patrick,
I have a '07 Enzo and I have just started messing around with the ballast for wakesurfing. I ordered my boat with 2 hard tanks per side (one in the v-drive locker and one midship per side). I removed the v-drive hard tanks and replaced them with the Fly High 750# bags and plumbed them into the system. These bags made my wakeboarding wake huge and I have only been filling them half full so far because it has been such a change. I also have the midship tanks all the way full so I am running about 1240#s for wakeboarding. For wakesurfing I fill the 750# bag and the stock midship ballast on the side that we are surfing and it works good. I am still trying to make it bigger and I would suggest calling the guys over at Inland Surfer for more advise because they gave me some good ideas to try. You probably know that they use the Enzo and they don't use the Switchblade - they use the bennett trim tab. I have the bennett trim tab and LOVE it. I would never have another boat without one. It is so useful for helping to shape the wake for wakeboarding and wakesurfing, it allows you to get out of the hole even that much quicker for wakeboarding and it really helps smooth the ride when the lake gets choppy and it probably helps to save some gas here and there. I have also install a 350# Fly High bag on each side of the bow under the seats, but I have yet to try them out. I don't think that I would be able to fill them more than about 250# since they are under the seats. I will try them soon to see how they effect the wakesurfing and wakeboarding wake. I have wakesurfing pics that show my wakesurfing wake on another computer, I will try to post them later. I would be interested in hearing from other Enzo owners too and seeing pics of their wakes with different weight setups, so I hope that more Enzo owners respond.
Old     (rtien)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-03-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
I have a SV216 with the switchblade and hard tanks midship and in the rear lockers. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Bennett plate and fat sacs. My wife surfs, I like to ski & surf. We demo'd the boat without the switchblade and I was really impressed with the ski wake (or lack of). Our salesman assured me the ski wake wouldn't change with the blade--I think I'd have to disagree. On our boat with the blade in the neutral position there's a pretty substantial bump when crossing the wake. For surfing, I found the blade will make the wave steeper, not necessarily bigger nor does it help lengthen the pocket. We're still playing with weighting the boat for surfing. The best wave I've had so far (wife & I surf regular)is with 200lbs in the bow on the port side; both port hard tanks filled; a fat brick (150lbs) in the rear port locker (on top of the hard tank) and a couple (2-3) people sitting on the port side. We then have the blade set between position 3-5 and PP somewhere around 10.5. The pocket is still bit short but we've been pretty happy. We both surf on a Shredd Stixx Thresher. I've just ordered a set of the V-drive fly high sacs. I'll try and post some pictures when we have it better dialed in. I've pretty much given up skiing behind our boat and instead get a pull behind my buddy's ski nautique.
I'd also be interested in hearing how others have their boat set up.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-03-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
I would not recommend the switchblade for any one who skis or barefoots
You definitely want the Bennett trim tab if you ski or barefoot strike that you just want the Bennett trim tab. I only have the 2 tanks I will probably be adding 2 large sacs in the back.
Old     (jrc240)      Join Date: May 2007       07-03-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
Well I would say being the owner of a centurion enzo 240 that this boat needs alot of weight to make a surfing wake. I have tried to use two 350lb launch pad sacs in the port side v drive locker filled as much as possible and then fill my port side midship hard tank, with a couple of bigger guys in the back side as well and it tends to work out. But its still not anything that i would call crazy.
As for the Switchblade that thing is only good for wakeboarding so far and, its also only good for going in a straight line. And by this I mean that if your going to turn to pick up a boarder at any slow speeds good luck!! If you want to try and park your boat slowly forget it. My boat turns horribly with the switchblade on.
Other than that the switchblade cleans both sides of the wake up, makes a huge ramp for launching huge ( IF YOU CAN DO THAT ) and makes it also very wide. So there is still many mixed feelings about the switchblade.
I think that I still want to get the enzo sac for the port side and call it good. But Im still undecided as well. Hope any of this helps you.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-04-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
No doubt the Switchblade is harder to drive a docking speeds. With some pratice it will get better..... I promise

I would get in contact with http://www.inlandsurfer.com/ that have a lot of experiance with dialing in the Enzo wake
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-04-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
after getting advice from inland surfer and monkeying aroung with my wake this weekend, I think I've got it more than dialed in. with a little hesitation, I took the switchblade off of my boat which has basically the same setup as austin(mid ship ballast and a 750 fly high sac and also 300 pounds of lead under the observers seat(flip up seat)) and piled about 7-8 guys on the port side and the wake was amazing. YUP, without the switchblade. I'm glad I got a 3500 dollar boat anchor sitting around now.lol we are going to try dial the switchblade in a litte more, I'm not giving up on it. with that being said, the switch blade made for a real steep wake, and white wash was a little harder to get rid of. It's not everyday we have 8 extra guys to pile in, so that's the reason for keeping the switch blade to make up for lost bodies. Of course I forgot my camera, and kicking myself for it.

Inland surfers advice was NO weight in the bow(i did leave about 50 pds of lead on port side under bow seat) and then they suggested loading up the stock ballast, the 750 that i have and putting the extra weight under observers seat and also under the long cushion(not a whole lot of storage under then, I'm going to redo some lead to fit in there) DO NOT GIVE UP, this wake is unbelievable. had a malibu owner ride in it and he was grinning from ear to ear. I dont' know that it would be twice as good as any other wake, but it's just that much better which is the enzo trademark. keep us posted. ryan
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-04-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
Thanks, everyone! (new enzo viewers to this thread, feel free to add your experience/$.02). The feedback is helpful. Again, I'm not even sure if a switchblade can be retrofitted or not. Not to mention the labor cost, if it is around $3500 as Ryan mentions, then for me, it is a dead issue. I will definitely be getting the Enzo sac. I guess I would like additional clarification about the bennett trim tab (which I think can be retrofitted more easily). How does it help shape a wakeboard wake? I can see how with it down to some degree that it would help with holeshot, reduce any potential for porpoising, and it looks like it will help out goofy surfers on the starboard side wake, but I am wondering how it affects the wakeboard wake specifically. Thanks again for the comments. Ryan (or anyone else, if you've got any pictures you can post feel free to post.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-05-2007, 6:07 AM Reply   
The Switchblade can be retrofitted.
I also know they used the switchblade in the last couple wakesurf worlds.

The bennett trim tab changes angle of the boat so with it trimmed down the bow is down more which will give you a bit more ramp with it all the way up it will give you a bit more vert, Not to mention the enjoyment of another gadget to play with and all the other advantages you mentioned

(Message edited by krbaugh on July 05, 2007)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-05-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
I am not a Enzo owner. That being said I do have alot of experience with the Enzo and wakesurfing. The switchblade will not produce a wake on the starboard side that is ridable unless you have the reverse rotation prop. Then it will not work on the Port side. The blade makes the boat one sided for wakesurfing.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-05-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
I am going to go buy an Enzo today if I can find one. I will buy two.. one with and one without the switchblade and let you know what works better.

I would like to comment... but I am not yet an official Enzo owner. But I will be soon.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-05-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
Patrick, put the enzo sack in your boat and weight and your going to be more then happy. don't worry about the tab or the switchblade. I was absolutely amazed at how big and nice the wake was without anything back there. correct me if i'm wrong, but won't the trim tab be beneficial for skiing to get the arse end of the boat out of the water??

the thing i found with the switchblade is exactly as dennis said. it throws up a rooster tail right into your nads if your on starboard side. it took me 3 passes, and I ride better switch now than i did goofy.

kyle, you the same guy that has something smart to say in every other thread??? we ain't asking for bashing, just for helpful comments.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-05-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
Althought it is not an answer for those who Surf on both sides of the wake Centurion does offer a Goofy foot tranny that will fix the whole rooster tail right into your nads thing
Old     (hk308)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
Patrick, good questions. I am also looking at the Enzo sac and have a few questions.
Will I have to remount my pump? Any tips on the new location would be great.
How is filling and emptying on a sac? Do you have to hold the sac up during those operations or does it act like a hard tank?
How long do they last and what kind of maintenance is required?

Oh, and Kevin....terrible colors on that Enzo, lol
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2007, 4:15 AM Reply   
Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the input. Switchblade is definitely out. Looks like I'll just upgrade my fat sac and I'll be good to go. After all this discussion about the bennett tab, since we're going out this afternoon, I may play with the manual wakeplate at different settiings and see how it affects wakeshape for boarding and surfing (oh heck, maybe skiiing, too, although slaloming behind an Enzo isn't very fun--okay Kevin, not your new 216). Speaking of the Enzo 216, in our local mall yesterday I was excited to see a new Enzo 216 right in the middle of the mall (black, with silver metalflake tribal sides. Centurion isn't very well known here in TN (we've finally gotten a new dealer), but you should have seen the gawkers! One older gentlemen walked up to me and said, "How much does a boat like this cost...about $40k?" I wish! LOL
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-06-2007, 6:19 AM Reply   
I know what you are talking about we had the entire staff of a Popeye’s Chicken come out to uh and ahh over our 216. Sounds like your dealer has great taste and Enzosurfer
Upload

(Message edited by krbaugh on July 06, 2007)
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
The boat in the mall is EXACTLY like yours. Oops, it does have the Evolution tower On the starboard side there are 6 pump outlets(vs. your three above..my guess one bilge and one tank; they must have an extra tank somewhere). I did notice it had a bennett wakeplate. Makes since since you can do some skiing behind this boat.

(Message edited by steedracer on July 06, 2007)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-06-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
I needed to be able to take the tower done plus my barefoot boom would not work on teh Evolution.

I would also say DON"T order a 216 with out the bennett trim tab!
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
I've heard many Centurion dealers aren't so keen on the Evolution tower. They much prefer yours.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-07-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   
It is a great tower looks great and folds down below the windshield