Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-11-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
Who's had ACL surgery? I know alot of people on here have had it done so this is why I am turning to you guys for some info. I have a friend who just went through it and I'm getting the feeling that he thinks his wakeboarding days are over. He's going to give it a try come spring but he's had friends that have had ACL surgery and all of them, or most, apparently are not boarding anymore due to it. I need a bunch of people to post here and describe your experiences as far as if you are still riding and how it has affected your boarding. Then I want to send him the link to help give him some encouragement and to see that many others who have gone through it are still rippin. Thanks for your help guys!

(Message edited by Kraig on March 11, 2007)
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-11-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
I had ACL surgery August 10th. I used my Pateller Tendon for the surgery. Saturday March 10th I hit the water for the first time. I will admit I was a little nervous my first run and basically just carved around and did some one wake jumps and ollies. My second run I forgot about it and was back to my old self. I have a CTI2 brace and couldnt even feel it. I wasnt taking anything into the flats though. Tell your buddy I was thinking like him, not knowing if I even wanted to board anymore, I was even thinking about selling my boat. But after yesterday I got the feeling back and I will be on the water as much as I can.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-11-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
I've had ACL surgery on both knees, I still wakeboard, snowboard, etc. No braces, all is well.......
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-11-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
I had ACL reconstruction to my left knee 3 years ago(patellar tendon graft)... was back on a snowboard wearing a brace 8 months later... I wore my donjoy brace for a year after coming back on a board but stop wearing it after that cuz I felt it wasn't helping much and felt it was holding me back... last summer I busted my medial meniscus on the same knee and partially torn my graft ACL... had surgery to remove the torn cartilage part in december and I'll be back on the water in june... I guess I just haven't took good care of my weak knee... tell him that the secret of healthy knees is to keep you fit and have good strong and flexible quads and hamstrings... I learned it the hard way... this wont happen again... I wish...
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-11-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
I had ACL reconstruction (donor graft) almost 2 years ago. I didn't wakeboard before the injury and was concerned when I started that I would have pain or issues. I had no issues -- and I rode probably 4 times a week my first season out. I started snowboarding and surfing this year -- have had no issues. I definitely agree with Jonathan. The key is staying in shape. I find that when I slack off on my workouts, my knee starts to ache. Tell your friend to push hard during rehab and keep on it after rehab -- he'll be just as good, if not better, as he was before the tear.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-11-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
Had mine done Dec. 6, hope to be back on the water in June- just got done running a mile now that it's finally warming up.
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-11-2007, 10:18 PM Reply   
surgery just 29th or 27th, started back on wednesday. patellar graft, no brace. feels fine. was snoboarding dec. 5th
Old     (btr1)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-12-2007, 3:38 AM Reply   
I've had five ACL reconstructions and apparently still haven't learned my lesson since I still ride. In fact we took the boat out for the first ride of the season yesterday. Here are the details (I think the dates are right but there have been so many that I lose track):

1. 1997 Right ACL - left foot came out on a double up but landed on the board - POP! Note to self, wipe out instead of landing with foot back on board especially if the front foot is out - replaced with patellar tendon.
2. 1998 Right ACL - hyperextended knee about 2 months out and tore replacement - replaced with cadaver ligament.
3. 2000 Right ACL - repeated swelling after riding. Two different doctors thought the ligament was solid and it was either scar tissue or bone chips, went into to clean it out and woke up to hear that the ligament didn't take and was there but dead - replaced with cadaver ligament #2.
4. 2003 Left ACL and partial MCL - screwed up switch tantrum - right hamstring.
5. 2005 Left ACL - knee never felt right after previous surgery, tore ligament kicking a ball around in a circle with a bunch of kids. Just standing there and kicked out sideways and when my foot came back down and my toe hit the ground, POP! It was no literally no harder than stubbing your toe - replaced with left hamstring.

By the way, I'm not a big fan of using the hamstring. Knees have always felt more loose than with the patellar and the hamstrings are definitely never the same.

If one of them goes again I think I'm just going to be the driver - I'm getting too older for this.
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-12-2007, 6:17 AM Reply   
i had two back to back, def thought mine were over esp after being out for two seasons, but i came back stronger than ever and my riding is at a completely diff level....
Old     (sikkvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-12-2007, 10:28 PM Reply   
Im going in on friday @3pm for a donor graft. Crossing my fingers!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-12-2007, 11:25 PM Reply   
I just had mine 12-20-06, and to be completely honest it feels better than my healthy knee. Its tighter and after therapy, probably stronger. If you have two bad knees you wont know it until you get one fixed, then you know what a good knee should feel like. If your friend is a very active person chances are his newly reconstructed knee will be tighter and stronger than his healthy knee IMHO.
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 11:27 PM Reply   
im on my way soon. i can feel it. not fun.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-13-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
I had mine done 9/29/06 with the hamstring graft. I still have pain and tightness. It is a slow a recovery. I have always heard that using a hamstring graft just takes longer to heal, but I'm on my way. I was hoping to be back riding by April, but it will probably be more like June.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-14-2007, 5:58 PM Reply   
allograft 100% never use your own muscles/tendons. I had acl recon/meniscus repair and this is the best way to fix cause if it tears again you get another dead guys ligaments insted of using up your own. I don't know why people still don't understand this concept. Good luck to all that go under the knife and the best advise is rehab hardcore
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
Thats the route I went Brodie, but its personnel pref. and unfortunately a lot of doctors have ego's that result in them telling the patient incomplete or innacurate evidence.

One person I talked with watched a friend go through the process of their body rejecting the allograft. What started out as a 6 month process resulted in over a year due to this. Plus some people just get freaked over a dead guys achillies in them.

Or maybe they dont want to be a donor? You cant really take someone else's parts without registering as a donor IMHO, thats a bit of bad karma.

I kind of wish I could have gotten the info on who's I got, so I could send a letter to the fam or something.

Not really slamming on you or anything, I kind of thought the same thing until I started asking "why?"
Old     (ebone66)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-14-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
I currently board without an acl. Had an acl replacement in 91. Found out last year my replacement is torn and has been for a few years. I decided not to get it fixed until september as I didn't want to miss a summer of wakeboarding. ACL's are overrated.
Old     (phil06140)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-14-2007, 10:25 PM Reply   
Well I just had mine done Friday...
Hurt it back in in Sept. but never got it checked until Nov. They told me I had a partial tear, to just rehab and I'd be ok. So in Feb I tried to play basketball once. I tried to make one move.. AND now I am healing. So out for like a whole year when all is said and done. This will be my first summer since I was 8 to be off a board.
Old     (redhedstepchild)      Join Date: May 2003       03-15-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
tore the left one in '96 and it was done with a hamstring graft...hands down the stronger of my 2 knees. since that surgery i'd been waiting for the other to go (like was said above, after you've had one done, you find out how strong or weak your knees are) well, the other shoe dropped last july and i tore my right one while i was simply warming up on my 2nd wake jump.
had surgery dec 1st '06 with cadaver graft, COMMITTED to my rehab and finished at the beginning of feb. i've been hitting the gym 4-5 times per week doing something with my legs everytime i go even if it's just bike. last saturday march 10th was my 1st time out on the water. i only surfed cuz i just wanted to test it out, but this weekend i'm strappin the board on and going to take it very slow! i'm 33 and have absolutely NO intentions of slowing down.

i stress comitting to rehab cuz it is the most important. there is no point in having surgery and going through all of that pain if you not going to work on healing yourself correctly.

(Message edited by redhedstepchild on March 15, 2007)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-16-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
I have a quick question to those who have been through the rehab process and are back on the board.

I have been doing a TON of strengthening excersizes to build back those muscles and I feel like my legs are getting stronger but are somewhat un-coordinated. I have been running the last two weeks about once to twice a week and it has REALLY helped my legs feel a bit more coordinated. Has anyone else noticed this. The plyometrics works well but the day after I go running it feels like I could actually juggle a soccer ball where as not running makes me feel like I couldnt even come close. Kind of like my muscles are slow on the draw due to all the muscle building. Almost like my legs are not in unison with my body unless I am running. Which seems strange since you would think the plyometrics would accomplish the same task. Or even a stationary bike, but the bike has NO effect on bringing my co-ordination back into line.
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-16-2007, 5:24 PM Reply   
Brodie,
I don't know if you have done your research, but what you think people don't understand is something you must not understand. An allograph has a 40-50% fail rate within' 2 years in a serious athelete, where the patellar tendon autograph is below 2%. You may or may not know this since you are refering to if you tear it again. However, what I know you do not understand is within 9-12 months, the middle third of the Patella tendon that is harvested for the surgery will regenerate itself with basically scar tissue, but is regenerated just the same and takes the basic form and can actually be used again for a surgery if need be. In my, and most doctors that deal with atheletes opinions, is that you should go with the patellar. I'm not saying going with the other is a bad idea, just your comments seem uneducated and usually I don't care, I just hate the "I don't see why people just don't get it" comments when you haven't researched it yourself..not on the net, but in a library.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-16-2007, 10:49 PM Reply   
Seven;

FWIW, Several of the Bay Area's top professional sports medicine doctors suggest the Allograph to their athlete clientel. These are doctors who have been featured on cover's of sports medicine literature, bay area's best, general surgical literature and the like. I don't know where your information is coming from (if its the library it may be outdated) but from my personal experience the doctors around here are all about the allograph. They will do any of the three as most good doctors will, but they support the allograph as the best procedure for athletes. They also give their patients a thorough explanation of the positives and minuses of each procedure letting them make their pick. You will find that many orthopedic surgeons will have a bit of an ego about "their work being the best" but in this scenario, its who the professional athletes choose to work with; which says a lot. This is a group of doctors who have joined together and are by far as up to date and progressive as it gets for sports medicine. Not to mention a long standing track record and an office filled with personalized sports memorabilia saying thanks from tons of famous athletes.

I am not trying to start a war, just stating where brodie probably got his information (which is likely the same place as I did).

Did'nt Shane B and Danny come out here recently for some work to their knees?
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-17-2007, 4:09 PM Reply   
it varies doctor to doctor, i don't recall hearing that statistic before about allographs, i know allographs are not good optiions for 2nd surgories though. My Dr. likes to use hamstring grafts b/c they have a more predictable amount of stretch and they do not give as much trouble after heavy activity as patellar grafts do. In the long run pattelar grafts are stronger, but i have not heard of being able to use your pattaler again, i have been told once you use the two grafts availble in your own knee that the only option left is an allograph.

Matt i had to do ALOT of balence exercieses in pt, apparently the acl also has a sensation (or maybe the nerves in that area) have to do some with the ability to balance. So you have to rehab balancing too...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
Yah, I think everyone who has had the surgery probably believes they went the best route (which is good because everyone needs that confidence).

Adam, I have been doing a ton of balance stuff too, the only thing I dont like is putting those knee caps over my toes while rehabbing. Its like my muscles are good but I just need to get the nerves back firing strong to get the burst movements. Needless to say being laid up I have plenty of time for fast responses on WW too, lol.
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-17-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
haha, yeah it takes a little while to get it back, it takes about a year to get back to feeling "normal" and even then it will still feel different. I had mine back to back so my muscle atrophy was much worse, just about to hit the 2 year mark for my second surgeory and just now feeling like i have decent strength and power back and i have been working out a good bit. Don't worry it will all come back it just takes time!!!
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-18-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
Adam, I was told the regeneration thing by a pt in training..she may have been wrong honestly because she failed her pt liscensing test twice, so..
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-18-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
I was in for Surgery February 26th. I've pretty much written most if not all of the 07 season off for recovery. I'll of course see how rehab goes and take it from there.
Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-19-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
I had ACL surgery in August of 2003. I started wakeboarding again the following summer (I live in Wisconsin), but pretty conservatively. In the summer of 2005 I was pulling big Raley's and Backrolls again. My only advice is to keep up with the rehab work (strengthening and flexibility) as well as you can
Old     (sikkvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-19-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
I just rolled out of bed from a 3 day sleep. I had my acl replaced and my mensicus repaired on friday afternoon. perkiset rocks. My knee hurts like hell ... but i don't care.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-19-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
Thats frickin halrious mike. I felt the same exact way. For 3 weeks Good times.