Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (drj)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-07-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
I need to hear from others who have had this injury? I understand this might not be the right thread topic but I figured it gets more traffic from those who may have had the same injury.
Here's the story. I have been waiting for a referral for an MRI on my knee because last season when trying to wakeboard I was having knee pain & swelling as has been the case anytime I attempt to get shape again. Well New Years Day I got on the trampoline and snap goes my patella tendon.
Prior to surgery as I told the surgeon it was important for me to wakeboard again and hopefully in the water before June. He chuckled and said yea June of next Year. NOT COOL, wtf? Responses appreciated.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-07-2005, 10:01 AM Reply   
Not cool. WTF? Absolutely! My buddy ruptured his patellar tendon last June, along with his ACL and PCL. He had to have 2 surgeries, but he took his rehab very seriously. He rode for the first time since the injury last month. Pretty much, he has fully recovered in 6 months. He now wears a custom knee brace to ride, but he's also 48 years old. If you're willing to rehab like a madman, getting on the water by June should be possible. You'll probably only need one surgery if you only ruptured the tendon. As to your surgeon, find a new guy. Get an orthopedic surgeon who works with a professional sports team or a NCAA Division 1 athletic program. NOT ALL SURGEONS ARE THE SAME! Make sure you get a good doctor who has a history of successfully working on knees and getting people back in the game quickly.
Old     (nautiquelover)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-07-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
Jeff sorry to hear about your knee. Matt is right, your doctor blows. Go somewhere else if insurance allows. I am a physical therapist who works with athletes after surgery to get back into their game. Take your rehab very seriously. Wake boarding shouldn't be your primary concern. Walking in ten years is also important. Ask a lot of questions about the surgery/rehab process.....no stupid question type of thing. Good luck.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-07-2005, 10:56 PM Reply   
Jeff, I ruptured my patella tendon Nov 26th 2003 going for a reverse dunk in a b-ball game, (just kidding) I was actually just running down the court and it snapped. ANyway, it has been two years now and I have done alot of rehab and still do. II wakeboarded last year but had to be very careful, My knee is still numb from the two surguries and I still don't have alot of strength in it. Occasionaly my knee wil give way just walking up or down stairs. I am not trying to give you doom and gloom, just trying to keep it real. This is a very serious injury, dont over do it. Keep up with your physical theapy especially the bike. let me know how you progress casue I know what you are going through.

Good luck bud
Old     (drj)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-12-2005, 8:05 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. I am now understanding more about this injury and the length of time to return to normal activities. It looks like another season without much wakeboarding for myself but I am still anxious to get my son and others out riding and improving this year. I have been told that my leg will be in a splint for atleast 6 weeks (post op)and then extreme care must be taken during rehab as many of these injuries require another surgery.

I gave up golf a year and a half ago so I could get in another boat and spend more time with my awesome family. This last summer was the best I have had in a long time with lots of time on the water and very few bad golf shots. I am looking forward to next summer so I can pull and help some of our young California talent improve.

California boarders had a great year and I would love to see that continue next year. If I can help let me know.