Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-27-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
I've been looking at the Pure because it's CWB's intermediate board, but also because I'd love to put my brands on it. But in the '05 Absolute' thread, you guys were talking about painting boards, which would mean maybe we could do the Pure thing with any board, huh?

Does anyone have experience with doing it up real nice - paint the whole top and then do up some graphics. What kind of paint, do you clear coat, can you put stickers under a clear coat, etc. etc.?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-27-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
Here's a helpful Hint -> don't paint your board cause it looks
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-27-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
Mango, why it gotta look whack? What if the King of Bling decided to try?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-27-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
I just think you should leave the board alone or put some stickers on it. I think it looks junky unless you do a really good job painting it. Look at this wakeskate...

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/68124/179599.html?1090940995
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-27-2004, 12:12 PM Reply   
I agree with Mango. It's going to look like Pure not right away, within a few rides.
Old    phaturn            07-27-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
i don't know about painting the bottom. But the top....for sure. I have a guy that airbrushes badass. he did a snowboard last year that still looks new after riding it. He can put enough clear on the top to make sure it says cherry.
To show you how sick his airbrushing skills are, go look at the link to my car below.....
http://www.streetsourcemag.com/viewownerprofile.aspx?profileid=11311
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-27-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
It's a 2001 Saturn...I have nothing else to add.
Old    phaturn            07-27-2004, 12:29 PM Reply   
i said look at the paint not the car.
hate to see what you drive. I'll bring my Yukon and run it over okay?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-27-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
haha now your talking. I drive a Monster Truck
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-27-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
you really don't want to paint the bottom. on a hot day the paint can transfer to the boat vinyl if you set it on the sunpad and that is not cool

for the top, sand with med grit then high grit (wet sand if you want). clean it up then paint. some type of clear on the top also makes the paint last longer. this is how we did a friends board.

on my board i was lazy, no prep just sprayed the top gloss black. used krylon fusion spraypaint. some scratches over time but they match really well with the slider scratches on the bottom.

cool thing about doing a quick and dirty job, you can change it anytime you want. get sick of how it looks just spray more paint on!

one of my buddys did his in silver on top, then the bottom was pink with green and silver spots.

probably took 5 min to do but although it looks freakin goofy, it is cool in its own respect. show some individuality and paint your shizzy up!
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-27-2004, 12:36 PM Reply   
Might be a Saturn, but it's the baddest one around. Oris, why didn't you do that with a Celica or Camry or Scion? -jk-

Mango, agree that it'd be real easy to do a poor job. That's not exactly what I was asking about, though.

J-Rod, that's what the clear coat's for, right?
Old    r_dub            07-27-2004, 12:44 PM Reply   
One thing you have to think about when painting a board is, what if you want to sell it sometime down the road to get a little extra cash for a new board. Not many people are going to be interested in a custom paint job unless it looks really good. Plus, who are the ones usually looking for used boards? Usually newbies! A newbie may not believe it's the board you say it is because it's not the same graphic's they are used to seeing, and they are not familiar enough with the sport to tell from the shape. Therefore, they will probably pass on it. Just something to think about.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-27-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
HAHAHA...
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-27-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
good point. i hate paint.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-27-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
ryan, that is a good point. if you are planning on selling your board you probably don't want to paint it.

of course i buy my boards low cost (used, old models, etc) and have no intention of selling them. i'll get a new one when my current board breaks.
Old    rypayne            07-27-2004, 1:49 PM Reply   
a little paint