Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-23-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
Every time I look at those things I have a flashback to the last attempt made like this in the late 90's with a Connelly (now CWB) boot and strap system that also didn't work. They felt exactly like they looked - hard buckles pressing on your foot bones through too-thin neoprene boots. Faaaaaantastic. I rode in them for all of 3 minutes, signaled to stop the boat, and clear as day I remember taking them off saying to my friend "noooooo f**king way..."

Those Hyperlite Systems with straps... my god. Idiotic. I know that this isn't the direction wakeboard bindings will go, or needs to go, (as in, we don't want to be walking around in boots after we ride). The evolution of the sport just does not support the need for leaving something huge and warm on your feet between runs during the summer.

So will we ridicule this style right after they are discontinued in a year or two, or will it take a few years? I agree that these have taken hold more than the Connelly attempt but both can only be considered shortlived gimmicks.

I think they look and feel horrible.

Thoughts?
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-23-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
I have never tried them. But it seems to me they would rule at the cable parks.
Old     (shredthagnar)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-23-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
I've only heard good things about them. And when I'm at o-dub it seems like everyone has a pair. Pretty interesting to see someone that actualy doesn't like them. Ive been wanting to get a pair but every time performance has a sale I pick up the newest ronix gear and never save enough for the systems haha
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-23-2012, 8:26 AM Reply   
Who keeps them on their feet in the boat all day? I put mine on while the guy riding is finishing his set, then 30 second strap in and jump in the water, boat does not even need to be shut off. When I am done i get in the boat and put my board on the rack and when it was cold in march left the boots on until I got home. Warm weather i take them off and leave them on the floor or strap them in to the board while the next guy is strapping in.
Board control is awesome! I just turned 37 and have landed 3 SWITCH 360's this week. The highbacks need to be locked upright like a snowboard binding, i see them doing that for 2013. Maybe I'm old and have an open mind to new thing, seen alot of gimicks stick around. "laces are stupid, they will just break", "flexboards suck, you don't get any pop"
Anybody on here hate their systems? My Murray boots were too narrow, but thats not hyperlite fault really.
Old     (troynautique)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-23-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
Love my systems!
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-23-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
I would not be susprised if we see more of these come out in the near future. board control is improved a lot, comfort is better in my opinion and they most defintely provide better ankle support.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-23-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
People said the same thing about snowboard bindings...
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-23-2012, 9:11 AM Reply   
I can't stand snowboard bindings. Systems seem no different so I don't care to try them.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-23-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
How about flow snowboard bindings. "those things suck, i heard they break all the time" Rocked my flows for 10 seasons and zero problems, just replaced them last year. Rode mine about 50 times a year(I run a high school ski club), took them out west at least 6 times. I just smile as I switch 270 onto everything in the park with my gray hair and 10 year old bindings

internet message board=place for ignorant people to say stupid things
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-23-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
nothing better systems!! ......and why does everyone say you have to walk around the boat with your boots on..... oh thats right the boots tell you you have to.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-23-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
Love my systems, much better board control, makes it easier to store the board when you have more boards than racks, boots are super comfortable..... Really not one thing I don't like abotu them. Honestly I think we will see more and more companies going this way. The whole walking aorund the boat in boots thing is just ignorance. Do you sit around wiht your baord on your feet all day wiht normal bindings, no, you take it off just like you take system boots off. I honestly think the mounted boot binding is cumbersome and doesn't make near the sense the 2 piece binding does.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-23-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
its not fair to compare the systems to the Conley verts or whatever they were.
with that said i have only tried them on in a store setting. i thought they had more flex and lift than claimed, but i saw a ton of potential and a new style/ option to provide where there most certainly was a demand for it.

This is another classic example of old ideas revisited and improved on such as:
closed toe boots
multiple fins on each end of a board
track system for mounting boots
wood (stringers) and other wakeboard. cores made from stuff other than foam
phasers gone to delta base as seen with obrien and one example in CWB.... ok maybe this one is a stretch

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-23-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-23-2012, 12:09 PM Reply   
So 4 years. Got it.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-23-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
LoL at this thread.
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-23-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
Have you even tried the systems? I absolutely love them and choose to ride them over my 2010 Ones and 2012 Sovens. Fit my feet like a glove and have just the right amount of ankle support without being to stiff. Plus the the response riding in them is out of this world. I thought they would be a pain on the boat but I usually have the bindings unstrapped and the boats loosened or totally off by the time the boat comes around. If I leave the boots on I throw my board on the deck, remove the boots, turn them upside to down to drain out and then strap them back on the board. I have a no shoe rule on the boat so I do not walk around in them. You should really try em before you knock em.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-23-2012, 12:38 PM Reply   
I'm curious what kind of bindings this guy rides.... I've had the opportunity to ride pretty much all the bindings out there and came from Ronix to hyperlite and couldn't be happier about my Systems. Best response out of any bindings I've ever ridden and who wears any bindings after there done riding??? That's just dumb.

Oh and yes they are the best thing to happen to cable short of mr mike McCormick having a thought of,"hey I can do one of these here cable systems better." haha
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       05-23-2012, 1:04 PM Reply   
I love the systems and so do the other 50+ riders in C-bus......you don' t see anyone rocking anything but the systems with no complaints.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-23-2012, 1:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmotoxxx711 View Post
Oh and yes they are the best thing to happen to cable short of mr mike McCormick having a thought of,"hey I can do one of these here cable systems better." haha
Haha love it!
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-23-2012, 1:38 PM Reply   
maybe ronix will copy them and they'll become cool
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-23-2012, 2:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmotoxxx711 View Post
I'm curious what kind of bindings this guy rides....
Liquid Force Ultras till the day I die or until they stop making them. I want to pop out of the boot on a hard fall - I just do. Open toe is the only way for me. Those LF binding are on a Slingshot. I am not a brand nazi. I am brand agnostic for the most part. With every closed toe boot I've used, when I fall with the board behind me, it feels like those things are going to pop my femur out of place. I don't know how you closed toe guys do it. Maybe that adds some color to the situation. I feel like closed toe boots are going to snap my leg.

So 4 years though. Got it. As an active Hyperlite product that people buy, the amount of people who are willing to admit the gimmick is reduced by exactly that amount. Roger that.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-23-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
System bindings and foot beds are the heat. don't see much to improve in these thing but I imagine some R&D improvements nothing major for at least 4 years
Seriously boomshot, don't knock it until you try it, you sound childish and uneducated
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-23-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
one more thing boomshot, a lose board is a deadly board, wait till that board hits you in the head after one or both feet come out of the boot
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-23-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
boomshot sounds like you may need to hit the gym and put some mass on your legs if closed toed bindings feel like they are going to pop out your femur.........
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-23-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
For me it is either all or nothing. Either I fall completely out of the bindings or I stay in. If one only comes out it can end badly.

After reading this thread I want to try the hyperlite system. Are they made in China? I am trying to stay away from all things made in China and trying to stay with USA only. It is pretty much impossible I know.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-23-2012, 5:40 PM Reply   
Why? No offense, but do you really think that's going to improve the US economy? It will only hurt in the long run.
Old    mojo            05-23-2012, 5:52 PM Reply   
I have tried a lot of boots over the years from ronix, liquid, hyperlite, and I think sub rosa. I thought the systems were dumb when I saw them and was instantly reminded of mike weddington(pretty sure) with the 90's version. However, the first carves on systems with jd's boot I could tell a huge difference in response from all other bindings I'd worn. They did need some improvement in the toe strap and they brought in a guy from burton. The boots are awesome, but could be just a little more cushy for me. I've had them since early June 2011. If there's any wondering about getting ripped, yes it happens. I put mine on on the platform when im up. Theres no wearing them in the boat or to the gas station. They arent sny faster to get into the water, except on cable. My rear foot came out yesterday just like any other binding. It was the first time it's happened to me..

Last edited by mojo; 05-23-2012 at 5:55 PM.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-23-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullspeed View Post
For me it is either all or nothing. Either I fall completely out of the bindings or I stay in. If one only comes out it can end badly.

After reading this thread I want to try the hyperlite system. Are they made in China? I am trying to stay away from all things made in China and trying to stay with USA only. It is pretty much impossible I know.
slingshot is for you my friend
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       05-23-2012, 8:53 PM Reply   
Like most people, I've only heard great things about them. I've got to try on the boots and, in my opinion, are the second most comfortable boots I've ever put on (next to the new O'Brien baseless boots) unfortunately however, I haven't been able to try them out on the water. One of the main concerns I always hear from people is "well there's no release system, I won't eject", but get real here, how often do you fully eject from your boots anyhow? And I know I'd rather know I'm not gonna eject, then eject half way and bust my ankle. Faceplants only hurt for a minute, broken ankles mess up your entire season if not more.

I think that the System bindings will only continue to grow in popularity, both behind the boat and in cable riding.

This thread, and OP, are a joke
Old     (greg_nelson)      Join Date: May 2009       05-23-2012, 9:52 PM Reply   
Just want to say thanks to all WW loyalists with an open mind. Obviously, The Truth is very tough and opinionated at his keyboard but his jab seems to bring out a lot of support for our System. We didn't invent anything crazy, we just took a proven way to connect to your board and adapted it to our sport. It may not be for everyone, all of the brands make great product and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you're curious give them a ride. I've had my feet in a lot on bindings and I really enjoy riding the Systems, by far the best way to ride IMO. I roll with the Marek boots - top laces lose - BOA snug - Happy Feet. Thanks Truth, love the forum. If anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them at www.facebook.com/HyperliteWake. -Greg Nelson
Old    9Drozd            05-23-2012, 10:34 PM Reply   
I don't feel the difference in the boot/board connection everyone keeps talking about. Got a pair of baseless 2010 ronix ones and 2012 mareks. The systems hurt my feet (have a wide foot), other than that I haven't or cant seem to feel the difference. Both are about the same height off the board, the ronix might be 1/2 to 1/4 in lower but that's it.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-23-2012, 11:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Drozd View Post
I don't feel the difference in the boot/board connection everyone keeps talking about. Got a pair of baseless 2010 ronix ones and 2012 mareks. The systems hurt my feet (have a wide foot), other than that I haven't or cant seem to feel the difference. Both are about the same height off the board, the ronix might be 1/2 to 1/4 in lower but that's it.
I'm not sure about the two boots you listed but I can say that I just started riding bottomless boots and will never go back. I was riding Slingshot D3's which I thought were the end all be all of boots, more comfortable than anything I had ever worn, I had them 4 hole mounted to my recoil and they felt so connected and I felt as if I was in total control.

And then I got the new Slingshot RAD boots (2012). I've got them mounted to the Slingshot Lyman, which I also had the D3's on with adapter plates, there is no comparison. I don't know how, what or why but you like your feet are one with the board. I am able to save some stupid stuff coming down on the other side of the wake with these. My ollies are higher and I can cut the board on a dime.

Take it for what it's worth, but these new binding innovations be it bottomless base or the systems are some of the few non gimmicks out there.

If you are a cable rider then a bottomless boot or system setup is a no brainer. If you are a wake rider they are still a no brainer.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-23-2012, 11:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullspeed View Post

I base part of my decisions on where gear is made too. if there is an option to buy USA made gear that is as good or better than the competitors goods (in my eyes) then i will try to do so. when it comes to boards there are just a few choices (Slingshot, Phalanx, Liberation i think, Sine?, Company r.i.p....). I prefer Slingshot as well. Slingshot's factory is largely powered by green energy efforts too.
BUT when it comes to boots/bindings... I don't think there is a single brand that makes their boots in the USA. I know that the Slingshot Driver boots were made in China. it was kinda humorous because the base plates had chinese symbols to instruct the user (or maybe the manufacturer) the orientation of the plate to the boot (I speak conversational mandarin so this is how i know)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-23-2012, 11:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post
One of the main concerns I always hear from people is "well there's no release system, I won't eject", but get real here, how often do you fully eject from your boots anyhow? And I know I'd rather know I'm not gonna eject, then eject half way and bust my ankle. Faceplants only hurt for a minute, broken ankles mess up your entire season if not more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post
With every closed toe boot I've used, when I fall with the board behind me, it feels like those things are going to pop my femur out of place. I don't know how you closed toe guys do it. Maybe that adds some color to the situation. I feel like closed toe boots are going to snap my leg.
you might try what i and my riding buddy do---> we wear neoprene socks inside our boots. it adds a little extra coosh. (especially in the toe box which is of my personal concern in all closedtoe boots) It also seems to aid in the release of the boot.
I go as far as to wear thick ones that require a bit larger size. I am a size 10.5 and have 11 boots with 5mm neo socks. MMMmmmmmm.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-24-2012, 7:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Why? No offense, but do you really think that's going to improve the US economy? It will only hurt in the long run.
???? That doesn't even make sense. I also try and buy american made, but it can't always be done. I do beleive the systems are made in China. If there was an american made option I'd go that route, but there isn't
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-24-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
Its been a few years now since the Hyperlite launched the first closed toe binding. Boomshot, I imagine you're still laughing about that huh..
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-24-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
i think people will be laughing at you in 2 years...and still laughing at you in 4 years. I bet other companies will be making boots to fit into the hyperlite systems.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-24-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
i think boomshot will be riding something like the systems in 2-4 years
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-24-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
I bet boomshot wont be riding in one year with his dilapidated equipment
boomshot I have a pair a slightly used Hyperlite Team bindings I'll sell ya mounted to a Shapiro board
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-24-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
I have never been a hyperlite fan, but I will say the system bindings are pretty cool. I went to OWC last week and rented a board and bindings since I flew down there and didnt want tt tote a board for one day of riding. They were really awesome for cable parks but idk if I would like them for behind the boat. just my opinon.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-24-2012, 5:42 PM Reply   
At the cable nah...

But when my friend brings them on the boat but never rides cable, I always laugh at him so yes.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-24-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
I've never had the chance to try them. Can someone explain why the response/control is supposed to be better? It seems to me like bindings permanently attached would have a better connection to the board. What am I missing?
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-25-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
Well I took my first boat set today with my systems (Rusty) on my '11 marek and i have to say that i am not a fan because my top laces (not the boa) dont stay tight this is fixable but i still do not think i like them behind the boat. CABLE however is a different story. I LOVE these at the cable park, my walk back and the ease of getting into and out of my board make these my favorite option at the park. Another thing im going to change about mine other than the laces is the toe strap, im gonna order a snowboard binding toe strap which cups my toes instead of going across the top like my current one does.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-25-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog_ra View Post
Well I took my first boat set today with my systems (Rusty) on my '11 marek and i have to say that i am not a fan because my top laces (not the boa) dont stay tight this is fixable but i still do not think i like them behind the boat. CABLE however is a different story. I LOVE these at the cable park, my walk back and the ease of getting into and out of my board make these my favorite option at the park. Another thing im going to change about mine other than the laces is the toe strap, im gonna order a snowboard binding toe strap which cups my toes instead of going across the top like my current one does.
The toe strap is the big negative abotu them, but I figure they will get better. Also burton makes bindings that are two hole instead of 4 hole connections. I'm actually thinking about upgrading to those since snowboard bindings are way further along technology wise.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-25-2012, 7:57 AM Reply   
As primarily a boat rider, I was a bit skeptical of the systems at first. However, after getting them out on the boat and trying them in different scenarios, I love them. The control and responsiveness are great. When I'm finished with a set, my legs are usually jello, my feet are cramping and all I want to do is get the board off my feet. With the systems, 2 seconds, zero effort and I'm out.

Recently I have gotten into winching and I'll keep my boots on, but unlaced, for hours stomping around ponds and creeks. This is where the systems functionally really shines. Super easy to get hooked up and go.

The only downfall I have experienced with the systems is having the ladders/straps break. I've broken 2 toe ladders and 1 connecting strap that holds the toe strap on. Not really a huge deal since Hyperlite sent me replacements at no charge, but if you don't have any spares and it happens to you, you're gonna be pissed.

Ryan, didn't the old systems have the "toe cup" strap? I'm pretty sure they ditched that and went with the over the toe design. I agree, I wasn't a fan of that at first (since my snowboard bindings have the toe cup design) but eventually I got used to it and it doesn't seem to affect anything for me.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       05-25-2012, 2:11 PM Reply   
@chris, i've run some burton est binders on a slingy lyman i was demoing. it worked great def give it a go, swear by their toe cap.
Old     (Tsg137)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-26-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
I really like the idea of the system bindings. I tried a pair on a my local shop and I decided they were not for me this year. When more boots are available I will definitely look at them again. I hope each year Hyperlite continues to improve the fit and comfort. If Hyperlite develops boots that fit like the LF ultra suctions in a system format, I will definitely be using them.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-27-2012, 6:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinator View Post
...The highbacks need to be locked upright like a snowboard binding, i see them doing that for 2013.
Melv, you can totally lock this years highback using the different hardware.

Truth, the System is an option. I laughed when I first saw them, now I'm fortunate enough to ride them. They simply work and as such, should stay in the market place. They are so far beyond connelly's old version. You ride Ultras, you should know that bindings need to break in. If you spend time with systems, they pack out nice and get very comfortable.

So they are already two years in, I expect they will be Hype's focus (& eventually the industry's) for many years to come.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-27-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
I did lock my 2011's and they were WAY better. Can someone explain why you would not want a locked highback and don't say because of flex because they still flex the same way when locked upright. Unlocked the boot slid back a bit and then the midfoot was no longer over the binding "hump" and was uncomfortable and took about a minute of riding to get them adjusted back.

I bet everyone would agree they need to be more adjustable like a snowboard binding. I could almost cut the middle "hump" out since I don't use the strata mount, but I bet that would weaken the binding too much. Locked highback fixes most of that anyway.

I wish snowboard and wakeboard companies would consult with me before they come out with new products, they would all be perfect then