Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-18-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
Ok I know I am being annoying, but my I/O is sale pending right now. I am still looking at the Sanger V215 (approx $36k plus tax/fees). We are also looking at a new 07 Malibu vlx ($45k plus tax/fees). I know the Malibus are awesome and it would be a dream to own, but 10k is a lot of money. If you were me which would you go with assuming options are all equal. We plan on mainly wakeboarding and wakesurfing, with the occasional tube/ski session.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-18-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
Ride/drive both and make you're own decision..... You may have different preferences than we do.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-18-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
I would go with the V215. It has all the necessities, performance and reliability. It just lacks some of the Bling and cool but unnecessary features. In my opinion tried, true and simple is a safer way to go.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-18-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
Drive 'em both. Bring your board & ride'em both.

And hows the dealer situation for each in your area?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-18-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
Do you have the extra 10K, can you afford it? If so, it wouldn't even be a question for me.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
i'd get a cheaper VLX. or get them to drop the price on the one you're looking at

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/706526.html?1245339150
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-18-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
I looked at both, test drove both, and decided that for me the handling, rough water ride, and looks were better on the Sanger. It was a bonus that it cost less because I would have picked mine over the Malibu at the same price.
I liked the Malibu a lot so don't think I'm hating. For me it wouldn't be a question either. I'd just answer differently than Paul. That's why you need to test drive them. Everyone is different.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-18-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
buy my 2010 MB Team Widebody!
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
.....I dont like sacrificing my dreams or compromising.....I try to do whatever it takes to fullfill my dream! You only live once and at the end of your life 10k wont seem like much to own your dream. no regrets!
Old     (jacob23)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-18-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
i have a 2008 23 lsv malibu wakesetter and i absolutly love it, if i were you i know that 10k is alot of money but in the end it will be worth it
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-18-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
There's no wiggle room on price for the VLX? Especially if you told them point blank that if the price can't come down you're just going to go with the Sanger?

Either way, it won't knock off 10g's, but it might make the difference in getting the boat you want for a price that you can afford.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-18-2009, 3:35 PM Reply   
I'd bank the extra $10K, but I am not you or is it you are not me?????
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       06-18-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
I'd go with the sanger and have gas money left, but like everyone else said, that's just me, if you want the bu, GET THE BU.

you DO NOT want to make a purchase this big and not be EXTREMELY satisfied with it or it will eat at you later. DEMO DEMO DEMO, is my best advice. good luck bro.
Old     (cameronb)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-18-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
are both dealers within reasonable distance? the biggest things for my family are the quality of the vinyl on the seat cushions and the location of the dealer... the dealer is a good 3 hours away, so when we need service on the boat, its out for a good week and a half or so..

while 10k is a lot.. look at the boats as if they were the same price and decide which one you like more.. you're going to be kicking yourself in the nadz if you're not happy at the end of the summer or even next season!
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       06-18-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
WOW, I am doing the same thing, but I am looking between new or used V215..now a days the prices are so close that it might be worth spending the extra few grand and have new any thoughts?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-19-2009, 1:01 AM Reply   
Ask yourself this... you've been dreaming of a new boat for some time now. Call it a hunch. In those dreams, is that boat a Malibu or a Sanger?

I bet it's the Malibu.

If the Sanger was the boat in your dreams, you wouldn't have started this thread. You posted here because deep down you want the Malibu, but you want us to talk you into the Sanger because you think it's the "sensible" thing to do.

Am I right? If so you should suck it up and get what you've been dreaming about... the Malibu.

If I'm wrong, don't flame me. The Sangers are sweet boats in their own right.

ixfe

P.S. I'd get the Malibu.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-19-2009, 2:05 AM Reply   
I have tried demo'ing the Sanger, but the dealer wanted us to be more serious even thou we had an appointment. I was kinda turned off by this and got a better feel from the Malibu dealer. I like the Malibu, but 10K is a lot no matter how you slice it. I guess I will have to look at some used ones and go from there. Also the new 07 Malibu wants us to basically buy before we Demo with still being able to back out. Apparently in So Cal they do not want us to test drive boats. I guess all is well thou if this is my problem
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-19-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
I would look at a different dealer if they wanted you to buy before test drive. I can see maybe not letting you throw a bunch of sacs in to see the surf wave, but it's a huge purchase and you have to demo.
I'd start testing used Bu's if that's what your heart is set on. Stay in a comfortable price range. You'll have lots of add-ons that will cost a grand or 2 even with a brand new boat.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-19-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
Buy and new Axis for $40-45, and rock that VLX wake in a new cheaper boat!
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-19-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
Being that the 10K is a thorn in your side, you can not go wrong with a Sanger. IMO that is the best build boat in that price range. My last boat was a Sanger my current boat is a Malibu, I love them both, if my crew didn't consist of 8 to 10 every trip I would probably own a Sanger, but needed the additional room lead me to the Malibu 23 LSV. I agree with everyone above, test drive before you buy, if dealers in So Cal wouldn't let you drive it then find a dealer up North. I remember seeing a Sanger Dealer in Paso Robles, but you can check both Sanger and Malibu out in Salinas. Maybe you can get the salesman to get both on the water at the same time.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-19-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
Where is the pic of Bryan's (westsideripper?) old red 215? Done and done for me. That boat looked sweeter than any VLX I've seen.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-19-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
clotus if your in Nor Cal you might try Tracy Boats We demo'd with them before our purchase. The sales guy even took a ride so I could see how she pulled. We love our new V215
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
I'd flash a little down payment and tell both of those a*holes you're not buying a damn thing until the hull hits the water. It's called a test drive, not a buyer's remorse clause.

(Message edited by denverd1 on June 19, 2009)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-19-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
I'd/did save the money and went with the Sanger V215 the only thing you sacrifice is bling and I think the wedge is pretty cool too. I'm a huge Sanger fan for sure and I love mine 210 hours with 0 problems, throws and amazing wakeboard and surf wake. That said if a Bu was priced the same I would probably go that route for it's extra refinement but at even a 5k difference I couldn't do it.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-19-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
My partner in this boat thing stumbled upon this used 06 Malibu with under 70 hrs.

http://www.missionrvandmarine.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=09306299X6K19K2009J1I59 I46JPMQ4074R0&veh=30678&pov=1277253

Are there any differences between the 06 and 07 hull design? This might be the compromise between the malibu and sanger. Thoughts?
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       06-19-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
bro wnet thru the same decision a month ago and about the same price. I came from a sanger 210. I demoed the 215 and the vlx and seriously no comparison. The VLX hands down. Not even close sanger are great boats but for a new BU at that price not the 60 msrp not a no brainer. Much more interior room even with 6 people everyone is super spread out., better ride, nicer look, sits higher(can slam it more) bimini up out of the way (both me and my girl are 6ft) and wake takes less weight to get shape then sanger. If you are in the 36 k budget I would go with the sanger dont extend yourself just to do it. But if you can afford it go for the BU. People always say a BMW is so expensive just because its name, have never owned one. Everything is higher quality.

Plus adding stuff into the sanger like PP and bimini and heater and such add up fast.

your be happy either way.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       06-19-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
if your in so cal call Pat at extreme marine in paso robles i think they still have a 08 vlx fully loaded with 20 hrs on it for 45k