Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (flatcher)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-06-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
I'm looking at upgrading from my 2005 X2. What boat did you leave behind to upgrade to only to discover later some sacrifices that you wish you hadn't left behind. I'm wanting a roomier ride for more passengers but I'm scared of giving up the wake. (Mainly wakeboard and the kids love to tube).
Old     (flatcher)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-07-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
I can't believe nobody has any insight here!!!
Old     (cdtex14)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-07-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
I upgraded to a Supra 21V from a DD Mobius. the biggest thing I sacrificed was fuel consumption!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-07-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-07-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
I left behind my trusty I/O with a deep V and upgraded to my Sanger and left behind...
Just a sec, I'm thinking...
Well, it was going to be the rough water ride and safety but the new boat is way better...
Nope, the gas mileage was not an enormous amount different with my use of the boats. The ski wake is now better, as everything else towing. It's easier to dock when the water is shallow now. My wife likes driving the new boat more at speed, and when towing.
Ahhh! I had a full length bimini that gave plenty of shade on the I/O. That's all I sacrificed in the upgrade. Oh, and it occupies more space when it gets stored.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-07-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
.....I dont think you will be able to complain about the wake on any upgrade.....most wakes these days are pretty slick. If you get a supra with the wakeplate....you can make the wake anyway you like it. the 2005 x2 is pretty small and other than fuel economy I think you wont be giving up anything worthwhile.......
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-07-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
Most of what I gave up was donero when I upgraded which could have bought a nice used sports car, pool, college tuition for a year.....

Boatwise I lost a little manueverability in tight spaces with a longer hull, higher balast requirements for a surf wave, a wakeboard rack, and now have a wake that is a little more sensitive with where the weight is distributed which is slightly thirstier but the plusses far outweigh the few things I gave up.
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-07-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
I just got an 08 X-Star. Left behind an 04 Malibu 23LSV. I sacrificed the cockpit room, and really the cost (about 6k) of stereo equipment. In some ways I gave up a really good wake that I was used to, and most of my friends also have that boat so the common wake to get used to. Now my wake will be different from my friends that I ride with, I don't think necessarily better, but different. Oh yeah, the cost was a bit of a sacrifice.
What I gained was I'm back in an MC after 5 years, the dealer is much more reliable in my area than the other. I really believe after owning the other, and now examining my new ride, it is worth the sacrifice of what I've lost. I believe I've gained more than I've lost for sure.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-07-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
Flatcher,
My lake house is on Lake Placid, I have never seen you out there. When do you ride?
Old     (flatcher)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-07-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
Preston,
I have the Royal Blue X2 with Wetsounds. It's closer to the upper dam opposite of SMI. Where are you and what boat are you one?Upload
Old     (running_turtle)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-07-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
i upgraded from a bowrider to a RZ2 and love it!!! i dont have any regrets at all!
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-08-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
Wil,
I know your boat. We are down river on the same side of the lake as you past the 90 Bridge accross from the pirvate ramp for pecan cove. We used to have a black 205V with a tower but just traded it on a new VLX. The house is on stilts with red trim.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-08-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (flatcher)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
Preston,
How do you like the VLX? I'm demoing one today. I too know where you are and I remember your old boat don't recall seeing the VLX there.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-08-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
The VLX is on order right now we should have it on about 2-3 weeks. I highly recomentd these boats. We test drove them and loved all the features. They have so much room and the finish out is great. I know some people dont like them but there are boats that I dont like. Our main problem with the new MCs were that the only hull that I liked to ride behind that in our opinion looked good was the x1. No offense to the x1 it is a great boat but we did not feel it necessary to trade our boat in which is basically the same thing just for a new one. The other thing that I am really goin to enjoy is that Rick Beck with mild to wild marine will come to your house even on weekends and fix your boat or service it. He just got certified this year to do warrenty work on Malibus. He is located off 725 over on Gold Dust Road. Hope you enjoy the VLX we were sure impressed.
Old     (flatcher)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
Who did you order from? CTWS?? I've heard that Mild to Wild comes to you. That is a plus! What color scheme did you go with? I'm wanting the midnight blue and white to be our colors.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-08-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
We ordered from DMSW here in Houston at the show. I called CTWS and DM gave us about 4 Gs less off the price plus more on the trade in so we walked out with a boat that was less than 60K. I think that CTWS are great people but I was not going to pin the two dealers against each other you can get into trouble with that. So that is why we bought here in Houston.

Our colors are going to be red and white.
go to iSpec and do the progressive paint job.
Deck Accent White Deck Accent 2 Regal Deck Base Regal Deck Main Regal Hull Accent Regal Hull Base white Hull Main White. Red fiberglass swimstep red illusion x and red bimini. Red TA Trailer. 4 red wetsounds pro60X
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-08-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
I love the blues that malibu has there was a blue and black one at the Houston Boat show that was awesome.
Old     (flatcher)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2008, 10:40 PM Reply   
Preston,
I was more impressed with the VLX today that I thought I would be. This coming friday I will demo the new X2 and X-Star. BTW, y'all have a nice lake house!! Water today was 66. I don't know if you know but I-10 is under construction and there is now a no wake zone as you approach going under I-10. There were out there working today. I'm not 100% on get a new boat this season but checking into it! Thanks for your posts on the VLX. I'll be looking for you this year!
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-10-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
Wil,
I think I saw you this weekend. I was out on my pontoon boat just checking out the lake and I think I saw you cleaning the X2. I went skiing with some of my friends on McQueeney this weekend. Water was a bit cold but we trunked it. We definitely need to get together this year.

On another note. I demoed an X2 he first year they came out and I liked the room in the boat. I thought that the wake needed more weight to really deliver a great wake. I got a chance to ski on the Nike 6.0 boat last year out on placid and that wake was awesome just stock. If you can stomach the price of the Xstar I would go that route. Since I don't actually have possession of a VLX I can't weigh in right now but I can tell you we were obviously impressed as well with those boats.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-10-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
we ride dunlap,
Old     (flatcher)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-10-2008, 8:31 PM Reply   
Preston, That was us out there. We cleaned Saturday and Sunday. I pulled her off the water in case it gets too low for my lift to set her free. We will have to plan on connecting up this summer! The weather isn't looking to good for a Friday demo this week. We will see. I've seen TSR's X-Star out there, is it the Nike 6.0 or is that a different one?
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-10-2008, 10:54 PM Reply   
Old boat
Upload
New Boat
Bigger and better surf wake
Upload