Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    belmont140            08-11-2004, 10:21 PM Reply   
Hey, I recently broke the 3rd metatarsal in my foot, and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to speed up recovery. I am taking in a lot of calcium, and I ice it right now, but should I maybe put it in a hot water bath? I would think that if you put it in hot water it would increase blood flow and this would help it to heal. Anyway, any help would be appreciated as I would like to get back on the water as soon as possible. Thanx.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-12-2004, 12:06 AM Reply   
With any broken bone, go get magnetic field therapy. My doc said he's seen it speed up recovery by %40. But ONLY magnetic field, anything other (ultrasound, etc, etc.) will damage the break even more.
Old    skippy            08-12-2004, 4:30 AM Reply   
Hi Mike,
I'm in the same boat. I broke my 3rd metatarsel about six weeks ago (nice spiral fracture which means that the bone corkscrewed, ouch) I've also been on the calcuium, make sure that you take it with Vitamin D otherwise the calcium is not absorbed by your body. As for putting it in hot water. I would not bother. Bones usuall take 6-8 weeks to repair, nothing really speeds up this process. my GF is a Dr at the hospital, since breaking mine I've tried everything to speed up the process. The 3rd metatarsel does not play an important role in the body.

Is your foot in plaster? even though I had a nasty fracture I did not have a plaster. Two weeks after breaking it I was out on the cable. and have since been trying to carve it up on the water. I'm now wishing I had totally rested. Last weekend I got a little carried away, I hit a ramp and ended up in agony. I had been overdoing it by putting to much pressure on my extensor longus tendon (tendon running from your big toe up to your shin). I tell you getting tendonitis (swelling of the tendon) is more painful than a break.

I'm now going to have to rest for another month If I had rested when the Dr told me then I would be out now rippin it up..

good luck
Old    tkdhav            08-12-2004, 6:04 AM Reply   
Hear is my idea on how to have it heal, “Don't try to shingle a roof!”

The reason I say this is because while I was wakeboarding I blew my ankle about two and a half years ago witch also broke the tibia. Had surgery to relocate with screws to hold all in place.

The problem lies hear, I'm a contractor and had a roof that was not finished I was thinking I would just go up on the roof long enough to get the valley weaved and I would have my employee finish the straight areas. well It did not fair out so well as I was climbing the ladder backwards and just about at the top the ladder slid out and I droped to the ground like a sac of potatoes, and landed in a seated position and fractured my back.

So the moral of the story is LET IT HEAL

I’m now healed and am wakeboarding again (thank god!)