Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       05-27-2005, 8:41 PM Reply   
just curious if any of you weight lift or workout specific groups of muscles to imrove your wakeboarding stamina and ability ?..what groups of muscles would be at the top of the list or workouts?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-27-2005, 8:47 PM Reply   
I workout everything. 5x a week, one bodypart a day. Back, shoulders, arms, legs, chest, and 2 rest days.

I have found recently that stretching and flexibility is just as important, so don't forget that part too...
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       05-27-2005, 8:53 PM Reply   
I weight train 4x a week working a different muscle group each day. Do cardio 3 of those days and then do yoga for flexibility about 2x a week.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-27-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
When you are wakeboarding you are obviously doing the pulling motion, so exercises like pull downs rows curls are going to bulid up some strength and stamina depedning how many sets and reps you do. Wall sits would probabbly be a good thing if you dont have weights and do not belong to the gym. There are multiple other exercises you can do Im sure, But I think these would be the foundation of a wakeboarding work out
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-27-2005, 10:57 PM Reply   
There was an article on the main page not too long ago about wakeboarding workouts that was really really helpful. Maybe search around the site and find it.
Old    mia            05-28-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
4 core muscle groups...hit them once a week with a minor muscle group (tri, bi, shoulder, calf)

chest- heavy dumbell
back - heavy deadlifts
quads - front squats, hack squats
hamstring - rear squats, leg press

pick one movement for the back, quad, or ham and go really really heavy till you switch out (those movements put a incredible amount of strain on your lower back) you can do that movement heavy for 6-8 weeks once a week and back off on weight and start going really heavy on a differnt movement..
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-28-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
Now if I only could get my diet dialed in. CLub Mike, any suggestions there?
Old    mia            05-28-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
daniel- this is the hardest part..

- 5 to 6 small meals a day (weight or desired weight multiplied x 10 for your caloric count). caloric count divided by 5 or 6 is your caloric count per meal
- 1 to 2 gallons of water a day
- no alcohol (this is hard one...)

i go 60 % protein, 20% fat, 20 low glycemic carb...your ratio will vary...
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-28-2005, 1:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tip Mike
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       05-28-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
clubmyke- i think what your saying is reasonable as far as calories go, but on exercise days, shouldnt you eat more than your body weight x10?! I know on the days i hit my spinning class or HIIT and weight training 1550 cals is too low. I normally try to aim for about 1700-1800 and thats for losing weight. On normal days i normally stay around 1500 maybe a lil more depending but yea about that. So just wondering, what your take on that was. I was actually told by a few ppl i should be eating about 2000 cals on my workout days but i cant bring myself to eat that much. BTW all those cals, it isnt crap food eather its all clean i normally end up having about 40%protein 40% carbs and 20% fat.
Old    mia            05-28-2005, 3:07 PM Reply   
nicole- it is really hard to say. everyone is different...

for weight loss "generally" 10-12 multiplied "desired" body weight

for maintaince weight - 15 multiplied by body weight..

one can go up or down depending on their metabolism, exercise (dedcated runners can get away eating and drinking...it is in and out of their system pretty quick- just a observation)

btw, i will go a extra meal of 250-300 calories on workout days..
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       05-28-2005, 3:30 PM Reply   
yea ok thats what i was wondering i normally have an extra meal which is a shake post work out that is between 250-300 cals.
Old    jhair            05-30-2005, 10:02 PM Reply   
I think total body fitness really helps with stamina and avoiding injuries. However, the following exercises have been most helpful for me specifically for wakeboarding:

barbell squats (legs)
barbell deadlifts (back)
seated rows (arms)
leg lifts (abs)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-30-2005, 10:47 PM Reply   
Clubmyke - nice workouts there. Most people these days forget about the squat rack and power rack at the gym...
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-31-2005, 12:31 AM Reply   
Are there any good workouts for the neck musscles?
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       06-01-2005, 6:32 PM Reply   
shoulder shrugs..take a really heavy Dumbell in both hands shurgs your shoulders to lift the weight..dont lift with your arms
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-02-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
Throw in a crunch or 2 and I think Mike hit it dead on.
Old    powerband            06-08-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
Where does everyone get their ideas to weight train for wakeboarding? Can you share some resources?

Thanks!

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-08-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
there was a pretty good workout article on here over the winter:
http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2005/WakeboardingWorkout1.asp
its pretty complex, if you ask me. I focus on abs, upper body (bench, curls, hammer curls, butterfly) and lunges. the hammer curls are good and occasionally some leg presses. someone mentioned stretching being important. I totally agree
Old    powerband            06-08-2005, 9:40 PM Reply   
Thank you, nacho. This helps.
Old    jonkdogg            06-08-2005, 9:50 PM Reply   
Here the work-out program I utilize.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/exercise/weighttraining.asp