Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-24-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
So I have never brought this up on Wakeworld before, I dont really know why, maybe becuase people seem to freak out when they see my scare and cannot believe I can walk let alone wakeboard like I do.

I had spinal fusion from my L1 to T1 vertebra, I had the surgery to correct 2 crushed disks as well as fix a back disease called Kyphosis. Kyphosis is basically scoliosis but you back curves forward (basically it turns you into a hunch back. The surgery basically made my spine into a fixed bone like a femur, I cannot slouch or arch my back at all, perfect posture 24/7 they fixed 2 rods on either side of my spine and shaved bone off my right hip which was used in a bone graph to make my spine one continuous bone. Since the surgery I have never once injured my back, spine, or neck wakeboarding aside from the typical aches and pains. And I still can ride at a Pro Level, the only thing that I cannot do is a straight up regular raleys, that motion makes my back arch like crazy and hurts like hell considering its fixed in place, all other glides are cool tho.

Just wondering if any of my other fellow wakeworlders have had any issues like that and still ride. The road to recovery was long but that first set after a year off was probably the best day of my life! I am the poster boy for Minnesota Spin Clinic now.

I have some pictures of the surgery they are rather graphic, I will try and upload some X-rays soon.