Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-29-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
WOW! Whats really happening? I would be pretty mad if I just bought a new one for more than cost. I guess we'll find out at some point.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       03-29-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
liljohn,

why does it make them cheap "bastards" for posting an ad on C-list?
I'm sure if you were in their shoes with a HUGE flooring bill every month, you would blow them out as well, NO?
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-29-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
I am thinking that using Craigslist makes them smart not cheap. Craigslist is a free tool...why wouldn't you use it??
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-29-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
As long as the sale posted at the store as well I agree. But if I paid full price a month ago then read this thread I would be upset.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-29-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
Have people had bad buying experiences at Copes? I bought a boat and two of my family members have bought multiple boats from the Santa Clara store and we have always been happy. I still shop there. Frank Cope is often at the store and is a nice guy.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-29-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/622201600.html
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-29-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
I love WakeWorld more everyday.

God bless you Dave Williams.

Carry on.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       03-29-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
they might be smart for running cheap adds but come on there going to piss off recent customers and there boats will have no were to be repaiered or serviced and what happens when you need warranty work? I just think it sucks. how many little guys are going to get stepped on so mc can have exclusive dealers?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-29-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
http://www.copeandmcphetres.com/

Scroll to the bottom of the page...
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-29-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
Whether they are really at dealer cost we will likely never know. The website now has 89 unused 2007 model Mastercraft. Now is clearly the time to buy.
Old     (mcelhek)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2008, 1:00 AM Reply   
Copes will still be around for sure... I know that's sad news for some ;)

That being said, all the remaining MCs ('07-'08) are priced at cost. You can finally get an MC at a more reasonable price. If you are a MC fan you'll have a really hard time finding a better deal (even from Mr. Hinkle).

Anyone who wants more info feel free to ask (kevan.mc@hotmail.com)

Warranty work remains to be seen. MC isn't going anywhere so the warranty will be in effect - they'll have a new dealer soon regardless - not something I'd worry too much about. Copes will service the MCs (have been doing so for some 30 odd years and would still be happy to take the service $$).

Keep rolling! -KM
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-30-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
Yes, although Copes and MC are parting ways, they (Copes) will still carry Centurian and their service people are not going anywhere, from what I've been told. So, as I see it, there will be a new MC dealer in the Seattle area and we MC owners now will have a few places to take our boats for service - either Copes or the new dealership. I will be continuing to get my boat serviced at Copes. I trust their people and they have always done a great job for me.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-30-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
The Xstar's and X45's Are 15k to 20k off from where they should be priced. You can definintely get a sick deal right now.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-30-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
I know, I am trying to convince the wife to sell the '02 X-30 and step up to an X-45. Alot of Copes' X-45 have the LY6 engine which should be enough for that boat.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-30-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
It is plenty for that boat. Almost all of the X45's have the LY6.
Old     (illkid)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-31-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
How much does a new X-Star go for these days anyway?
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-31-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
what is cost on a new X-15???
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       03-31-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
BTW, MC is not forcing it.
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-01-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
I would hate to be the new dealer coming into a market where the old dealer dumped a lot of inventory at cost.

I am kind of surprised Mastercraft is allowing that to happen. I know Copes owns the boats and it is their business but you would think MC would have some price regulations.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-01-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
yeah, but i doubt mc wants to buy the boats back either.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-01-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
How would MC enforce their pricing? Pull the dealership?
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-01-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
I agree Onlyinboards and John - but there are manufacturers (not necessarily boat) that have provisions in the dealer/distributor agreements that prevents products from being dumped at cost (or below) into a region/market for whatever reason.

Kind of surprised MC does not have something similar. You have to admit, it is probably going to hurt the new dealer, the overall market, the current owners of semi-new boats (for resale purposes), other dealers in the region, etc.

The new customer is getting a great deal but the distribution channel is potentially taking a bit of a screwing.

I am from the south so do not have a dog in this hunt. Just looking at it from a business perspective.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-01-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
The whole boat sales market is going to be screwed up for a couple of years here in Seattle. With Cope dumping there boats for cheap as well as the Tige dealer going out of business it could be tough for the other dealers to keep the margins they normally do. Lucky for places like Pacific Nautiques and Bakes(malibu dealer) have really good reputations.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-01-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
bob, Price fixing is pretty much against US law and has been deemed so in the past. If MC didn't want them dumped they could have asked for the right of first refusal and then buy them back themselves. No one has suffered any losses here, even Cope, because they are selling the boats at cost apparently. And the fact that earlier buyers may feel a loss does not mean there actually is one. Their used boats are worth what the market will bear, no more or less. If this dumping increases the market visibility of MC boats would any increase in used boat prices be considered taxable? I guess an esoteric discussion of value is not what the OP was looking for it just bugs me when I hear people claiming a loss when none exists. The new dealer will probably be very please the MC franchise became available which is the only reason to take it on and the distribution will like the fact that the new dealer needs to buy a bunch of floor stock.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       04-01-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Thanks for the lone voice of sanity Kyle. Sorry to see MC leave Copes, its always nice to go down there and see what the high rollers are using. I'll go Back to reality and visit you guys at Ultimate again soon, need a replacement for the 'Bu at the end of the summer. She still looks showroom fresh!
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-01-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
come on by some time soon Howie....haven't seen you in a while.

there's even been some changes around this store as well.

at least come by and say hi before the end of summer.
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-01-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
wow, people complaining about dealerships giving TOO good of deals. hahahaha. As a consumer you should be happy. At least now you know what invoices are and have a bargaining point at your next purchase.

Just curious, what did you want that dealership to do? Sit on the boats and eventually give them to other dealerships or wholesale them and get nothing. At least this way they can make money off of financing, insurance, warranties, and anything else you buy at the time of purchase.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-01-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
I look at it this way, the new dealer is going to have a lot of boats and new MC customers to service and make lots of money with.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       04-01-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
You got it. I need to pay Devin for a raggedy old second-hand drysuit I bought off of him. Whats a good handle this year? Helium looks like it might last me a season or two.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-01-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   

Devin is gone back to Salinas.....again....

his room mate still works here though, if you need to get something to him.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       04-01-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
Really? Devin: the human yo-yo. No loyalty in your business I presume.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-01-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/626909892.html

so are they making deals on whats left or what
Old     (humanyoyo)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-01-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
ohhhhhh so much hate on here....its almost like the wakeworld haters ball. HATE HATE HATE.
And Howie I would have expected more.....
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-01-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
great deals on the mastercrafts. just remember what a good deal gets you. better keep a lot of lip stick in your pockets because your going to have to kiss a lot of butt to take your boat for service. if you dont buy your boat from the dealer you got the boat from means your "LAST ON THE LIST." good luck penny pinchers aka ballers on a budget.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-01-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
My bad, MC's are still here in Rohnert Park, they just moved them to another lot.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       04-01-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
Devin, nothing was said with any hate or disrespect. I know you, and have always had a good repor with you. BUT..how am I supposed to have loyalty as a customer when most people in the industry have no loyalty to each other? I understand the need for making a living, and you have ALWAYS treated me well. i am just surprised to hear that you went back to a place you once told me was not very considerate to you. The loyalty dig was for management, not you. If you have taken offense, I am truly apologetic. You have to admit, it is in the pattern of a yo-yo..............I am surprised you took such offense.
Old    K.B.C.            04-01-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
"ballers on a budget."

kind of like people who buy X2s instead of XStars....

sorry had to do it
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-01-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
Scott that was perfect

"if you dont buy your boat from the dealer you got the boat from"

Ok that statement makes no sense.

"good luck penny pinchers aka ballers on a budget."

Don't hate because you overpaid on your boat

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on April 01, 2008)
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-01-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
"great deals on the mastercrafts. just remember what a good deal gets you. better keep a lot of lip stick in your pockets because your going to have to kiss a lot of butt to take your boat for service. if you dont buy your boat from the dealer you got the boat from means your "LAST ON THE LIST." good luck penny pinchers aka ballers on a budget."

You may be correct in your statements above but in my case, they are 100% not correct. I purchased my "used" MasterCraft from an out of state dealer and have had nothing but GREAT service from my local Cope and McPhetres dealers (Renton and Woodinville). So, I completely disagree with statements.

If I was in the market for a new one, I would not hesitate to buy one from Copes. I am sure the new MC dealer will be more than happy to take my money for any service work needed. However, keep in mind, Cope is going to still service our boats - none of their techs are leaving (at least in their Seattle area stores).
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2008, 9:01 PM Reply   
I have never responded to a post like this, but i feel obligated to, yes, i have mastercraft maristar and is a better boat than the cobalt I just sold. My boat is at Cope's for service and they have been nothing but profesional. The peeps in this post need to realize we all are here to have a good time and love being on the water. And who cares about the politics, Copes has been awesome, once again
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-01-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
i guess if my garage was 25 feet deep then i could of got a x star. its only 23 feet deep so that makes my x 2 fit just fine. i have good friends that ran a master-craft service dep and they always joked about doing the non customers boats last. im also not saying that bad service happens to everyone. its just frustrating that the place that i perched my boat from went out of business. after ski world went under copes took over. that was cool. now that cope is getting rid of mastercraft. where do i go. i know that nor cal mastercraft is a great place but its a hour and a half from my house. should of got a malibu.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-01-2008, 9:33 PM Reply   
only of you knew what i paid for my boat nu bu. if you could see the cost "from mastercraft's price to the dealers price" you would be pretty surprised how big the margin is. let me clear up what i said nu bu. " if you buy a boat from dealer A and you take your boat to dealer B to have it fixed. then dealer B will take care of their customers first. i'm not saying that this happens to everyone but if it does happen to you dont be surprised.

(Message edited by ponte_06_x2 on April 01, 2008)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-02-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Ponte I knew what you meant, you should have known I was just messing with you . The margins on these boats are crazy I know, I was lucky enough to negotiate a very attractive deal on mine as well.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-03-2008, 11:22 PM Reply   
"I would hate to be the new dealer coming into a market where the old dealer dumped a lot of inventory at cost. "

You mean like when Washington Watersport closed up shop & blew MCs out at cost back in the mid 90s?

Or when Gonnason's lost the MC dealer status & blew out MCs at cost back in like 2000?

There are guys here in this forum who took advantage of those situations. And the next dealer took care of them just like any dealer should.

Yea, I'm sure it'll effect the market for about a week. Then it'll be business as usual for the new dealer.
Old    Ben Kerran            04-04-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Kind of off topic here, but reading the posts above made me wonder....How come you always hear people say " I got a screamin deal on my boat" or a "very attractive deal on my boat" or whatever. For once I would like to hear from the poor schmuck (with huge balls) say "Well I really got took to the cleaners on my boat" just to see how everyone would react.... OK, back to your reguraly schedule Cope and McPheters discussion now
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-04-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
Are you that poor schmuck????
Old    Ben Kerran            04-04-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
Nah, I got an Ok deal on mine and then dropped another 100 grand on stereo, but you gotta admit you never hear that. I just think it would be classic if someone said something like that
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-04-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
That's the way to do it, that is a first...
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-04-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
i'm one of the poor shmucks you speak of.