Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old    tyerone44            03-13-2004, 1:53 PM Reply   
Does anyone have any thoughts on this truck with pulling your boat. It says that it can pull 8500 lbs. How about the gears? any info would help
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       03-13-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
Where did you read that?
That truck is rated just under 5K lbs because of the supercharger.
Old    whitechocolate            03-13-2004, 5:00 PM Reply   
yes
Old    whitechocolate            03-13-2004, 5:10 PM Reply   
I had a 2000 Lightning. (photo) I would tow my Air with it. It towed ok untill I lowerd it with the ROUSH kit. Then it would bottom out in the rear and rode like hell. I installed Air bags and it made it ride much nicer. The short wheel base of the F-150 makes it buck or bounce. Once again the air bags seemed to smooth it out. As far as the gears & motor, thats not going to be a problem. I noticed that If I towed with the Over Drive off the gas milage would be much better. The motor would rev a bit higher causing the Supercharger not to create much boost and suck your gas. I would tow my boat about 100 miles each way to the lake everytime. IMO didnt like the way it towed. We towed with my buddys suburban and it was much nicer, I sold the Lightning and got the Harley F-150 and it tows 10 times better than the Lightning. I think the long wheel base made a big differance. So if you not towing far each time its a great truck. But for long hauls you might want to think about somthning else.

Old    watarski            03-13-2004, 5:24 PM Reply   
I just bought a Lightning last weekend. Granted I've only towed my boat once, it did just fine. I don't tow 100 miles each way either. It seemed to have an easier time pulling it than my Expedition. Like Grant said, if distance isn't bad, it should do just fine. It has 3.73 gears-
Old    walt            03-13-2004, 5:54 PM Reply   
The thought of owning a lightning makes Me drool !
Old    whitechocolate            03-13-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
That truck was awesome. When towing you could stomp on the gas at 20 mph and smoke the tires big time. getting on the freeway was a breeze.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-15-2004, 12:52 PM Reply   
Grant just wanted to say you have some nice toys also seem very noligable or however you spell that word on the post you do.I'm sure everbody and myself appreciate what you do.I have a 04 hemi and have no problem towing after the summer cause I spend all my money I will be putting a supercharger on it to play with all the lightning people out there
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-15-2004, 1:10 PM Reply   
Hi Tye, I just got the new Nissan Titan Pickup, the torque is at low RPM's and tows my super air unbelievable. I tried the GMC 6.0 liter, the hemi and bought the Nissan. Popular Mechanics tested 04 pickups (Ford 5.4, Chevy 5.3, Dodge Hemi, GMC 6.0, Chevy 5.3, Nissan 5.6 and Toyota 4.6 liter) the Nissan beat them all 0-30, 0-60 and in the quarter mile, the Nissan beat Ford, Chevy and Toyota with a 1000lb payload, that's torque! The Ford Lightning is very fast but really isn't setup to pull things. I would only use the lightning for short trips to the lake but as Grant said, his F150 did a better job than his lightning.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       03-15-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
The Lightning and Harley are only rated to tow 5000 lbs due to the tires. The performance tires they put on those trucks do not have the load rating to tow more than 5000 lbs legally.

It has nothing to do with the trucks capability or the supercharger.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-15-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
Supercharged motors are built for top end performance. It may not be taken into consideration when they determnine your tow capacity, but a top-end motor will definitely make for a worse tow.
Old    whitechocolate            03-15-2004, 3:15 PM Reply   
Greg: I didn't know the tires came into play in regaurds to towing? but I guess you would be putting extra strain on the tires when you tow. Intresting, I would have thought that tounge weight would have more to do with beating down a high performance tire than tow weight. So if that s true its good info. Craig: Im glad your Nissan tows good I was wondering how people liked them. I never thought Nissan would be a great tow rig. but there ne truck looks like a real full size. Its funny how people think the bigger the truck is the better its going to tow, My friends have Lifted F-350's with big old tires and sutch, IMO they tow like crap and bounce all the way down the road and give the worst ride, ( I hate riding in them) When I see people towing there boats with the Lifted 4X4's I laugh. Like I said my friend had a normal MILF Suburban and it towed the smoothest. It had crummy brakes but it sure rode nice.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-15-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
I think suspension plays a role in that capacity too.

Those Nissan Titans RULE!! I drove the 4X4 crew cab and smoked the tires through the intersection on the test drive! They're not any smaller than the new F-150. Definitely the sweetest truck out right now.
Old    sandman            03-15-2004, 4:28 PM Reply   
Quote: Supercharged motors are built for top end performance. It may not be taken into consideration when they determnine your tow capacity, but a top-end motor will definitely make for a worse tow.

That is so untrue. Superchargers unlike a Turbo begin creating boost just off idle. Boost = more HP/TQ. Adding a supercharger to a factor Ford 5.4 or GM 5.3 is NOT going to make for a worse tow. Quite the opposite.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       03-15-2004, 5:25 PM Reply   
Grant, it's the load rating on the tires that is the problem. And yes, the tongue weight is what puts them over the limit. The taller profiles of normal truck tires can handle a lot more tongue weight = more tow rating.

J-rod, maybe you should research things before passing on misinformation.

The Lightning supercharger is a roots type that is a positive displacement supercharger. It makes boost instantly off idle and achieves peak boost by 2000 rpm which is below the normal engine speed when towing. Therefore, it makes an otherwise torquey 5.4 engine an absolute beast in the torque department.

Also, for Bryce, turbocharged engines if properly designed have very similar boost rates as a roots type supercharger. Their big advantage over a supercharger is it takes very little engine power to drive a turbo. That means a properly sized turbo will make tons of low end torque and be very good for towing. Just look at diesels. They are all turbocharged and make peak torque at or below 2k rpms.

Even centrifugal superchargers that need rpms to make boost will still increase bottom end torque and help with towing. Just not as good as a positive displacement supercharger or turbo.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-16-2004, 7:01 AM Reply   
Tye,

A buddy of mine towed my Mob-V from Seattle to Shasta last year. The truck did great other than gas mileage. I was suprised with it's performance on the passes.

Craig,

Here is the true definition of torque!

2004 Dodge 1 ton 4X4, Cummins Turbo Diesel, 325hp, 600ftlbs torque.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-16-2004, 8:08 AM Reply   
yep now thats a tow vehicle. Why tow w/ anything else than a 3/4 ton + diesel
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-16-2004, 8:55 AM Reply   
It wasn't worth researching, but I apologize for any misinformation.
Old    ag4ever            03-16-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
Yup I agree, the 3/4 ton with diesel is the way to go.

I do agree though that a big tired lifted "monster" truck is a joke when it comes to towing.

BTW, the shoks make the biggest difference in the superduty. If you are looking for a smooth ride go for Bilstein.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-16-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
Someone mentioned towing with the overdrive off (if you have an automatic transmission). This is definitely the way to go. Most owners manuals will tell you to turn the overdrive off if you are towing x amount of pounds.

Towing with the OD off will wind out each gear a little longer and not make your tranny work as hard shifting all the time. This is especially helpful when towing in hill country.

Give it a try and you'll be amazed at how much better your vehicle handles the tow.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-16-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
Cliff, your changing the ball field, diesel is the way to go to haul anything of major weight. As far as gas powered 1/2 ton pickups, you can't get any better acceleration or torque than the Nissan and it will haul any of the wakeboard boats we'd be talking here with ease along with a smooth, quiet plush ride to any lake you desire to go to. When you start talking 3/4 or 1 Ton Trucks with the diesel, your talking big $$, stiff ride and a noisier ride!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-16-2004, 11:24 AM Reply   
Craig, the 5.7L Dodge does a nice job for towing and looks a lot better than the Nissan IMO.

sdf
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-16-2004, 11:29 AM Reply   
I will stick with my Dodge Dakota, took out the 318 put in a KRC 408 small block 360HP 490LBS of torque can't even tell the boats there when towing and will blow the doors off a Lighting
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       03-16-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
Maybe a stock Lightning. But of course, your truck is not stock either.

Old    sandman            03-16-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
There is a crew cab Titan here in the parking lot at my work. When I first say pictures of it in the magazines I did not care much for the styling. However after seeing it in person it is quite a nice looking truck. Especially the crew cab. Much more rear room than what Dodge considers a crew cab. It has also won quite a few full-size truck comparisons in recent magazines. Towing is suppose to be the best of the 1/2 ton offerings.
Titan
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2004, 2:04 PM Reply   
olddude,

I'm sure talking about the older desiel trucks. My 04, F350, PSD is just as quite and rides just as good as any 1/2 ton gasser. The only thing you said right was the cost. Then again you get what you pay for and if you don't need a desiel why buy one? I do like the look of the Titan but lets see how it does after a few years before we say it's the best 1/2 ton on the market.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-18-2004, 4:40 AM Reply   
It is physically impossible for a 1 ton truck to ride as good as a 1/2 ton truck, the suspension is designed to handle heavy loads just as any 1/2 ton pickup won't ride as nice as a Lexus. Each bump is amplified by the stiffer suspension. As far as noise is concerned Face Planter, that's your opinion. I never heard a diesel truck that was as quiet as a gas engine, especially under power, A good friend on mine has 03 Ford PSD and a few weeks ago rode with me to the lake and commented on how quiet and smooth my truck was compared to his but again that was his opinion.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-18-2004, 5:32 AM Reply   
Bryce i agree until you go look at the Titan in person you wont actually see what Nisasan put into the detailing of the truck..i am looking for a new truck and went to test drive this for the heck of it and now its on my list of choices..

i am trying to decide between a

04 F150 with a 5.4 liter v8 ext cab stepside

Dodge 1500 Ram 4 door Lonestar edition with the 20inch whells and nice trim upgrades V8

Nissan Ttitan SE king cab-comes standard with 5.6 liter v8 spray on bedliner,6 disc cd changer,18inch wheels,push buttton adjustble foot peddals ,3 12v jacks(one in truck bed), and tracks in the bed for mounting tool box etc and slide stuff with ease in the bed.

i am getting the tow package on all three and the Titan offers the most options with the tow package they have the extendable mirrors,step rails,fog lights and others stuff..I found a Titan for 25k not incl tax,finance and delivery..seems like the best deal and a good warranty but not sure about a new market vehicle and an Import at that..

The Fords have always been my choice but it has the worst waraanty of the three and the least options for the same price..

the Dodge seems to have the best warranty,most incentives as of this month,proven truck and nicely equipped for what they for the asking price.

any info on either would help..Ive been in the 97 f150 and now the 2000 f150 for the last 7 years and have been very happy with my Fords but may be time to try somehting new..

sorry for the long post..
Old    sandman            03-18-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
Bill,
If you looking for more info on the Titan go here: http://titantalk.com

For a first attempt at a full-size pickup, Nissan did one heck of a job. Toyota took two tries (T100, Tundra) and is still trailing Nissan.
Old    obsurfer            03-18-2004, 9:46 AM Reply   
We bought a 2003 maxima and its flys. We bought it because of the motor and I have never heard anyone complain about the motor for the last 7 or 8 years. But I have heard from people who like to drive them hard to put mid grade fuel in them. Infinity has won all kinds of awards with it. So I wondering if Infinity well come out with a version of the Titan? And I know the new Maxima's are put together here are the Titans? Never put your pull toy in overdrive, "automatic overdrive is the smallest weakest gear" is what the tranny shop told me. So I only use it on a downhill grade.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-22-2004, 10:41 AM Reply   
doesnt ford recommend premium fuel for the lightning?? might be something to consider, also check this link for some comparisons http://credit.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/37828#specifications it didnt rate that well overall and 10.4 mpg ugh
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-22-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
I haven't actually towed wit my 2003 Chev 1500 LT yet as I just bought it, but I am surprised that no one else even mentioned the chevs as an option. I was looking in the 03 model year. It was one of the last ones around and got 8k canadian off list + 0% for 5 years + 0$ down. In the 03's, I thought the interior was just much nicer than the competitions, hands down the winner. I loved how it drove the best as well.

Even comparing my 03 chevy to the 04's at the car show had reconfirmed my choice. Obviously Dodge had the bigger power but a boring interior and horrible economy crossed it straight off my list. I do like how it looks with the 20's on it though.

I haven't driven the new entries from ford and nissan yet. Ford sure looks a great deal nicer than previously but the interior still feels cheap compared to my chev and I have so many toys such as onstar/satellite phone which is so cool. The Nissan was nice as well but also prefered the fit and feel of the chev's interior. No contest. Especially with the seats. i don't know how they drove though. Power plant in the Nissan sounds good. i got such a deal on my chev though I'd never think twice.

Now if we're talking 1 tons, put me in a ford diesel.