Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-30-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
Just participated in our second Wake the World event. Pretty cool event that I think most of us have heard about now that involves taking foster children boating for the day. Filled with boating, water sports, barbeques and just spoiling them rotten. The Oregon chapter is put on by a fellow WakeWorlder (Vince) and he does an amazing job. Snapped a couple photos that were pretty moving. There were 31 boats this year. We all rolled around the corner at the same time where the kids were on the beach waiting. I imagine it was a pretty cool seen from the beach!!

photo Screenshot_2013-07-29-22-02-01_resized_zps0ad53483.png
 photo 20130729_095515_resized_zpscc4fe0be.jpg
 photo 20130729_095635_resized_zpsb0e90e9a.jpg
 photo Screenshot_2013-07-29-22-03-39_resized_zps90ebfcda.png
 photo 20130729_095853_resized_zpsb2f7f0c2.jpg
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-30-2013, 9:02 AM Reply   
Cool where was the event we would be happy to join next year
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-30-2013, 9:03 AM Reply   
^^^AWESOME!!!!!!
Thats what its all about right there.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-30-2013, 9:06 AM Reply   
Harold
It was at Foster Lake outside of Sweet Home. I will drop you a PM with Vince's contact.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-30-2013, 9:09 AM Reply   
That is a fantastic site to see. We are hoping to help out at the Wake The World event next year up in my neck of the woods. We have even thought about making a trip down to spend a day with Vince, Jeremy, Brandon and the rest of the crew to help with this event.

My hat is off to you guys and gals!

Great job Vince.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-30-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
That is so cool. I would love to be a part of something like that. Bring Wake the World to CA. I am happy to be a part of the planning team.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-30-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
I am sure Vince will get on and see this and point you in the right direction. I think Greg, the founder of WTW, is on here on occassion too and they will work with you to get one set up in your area as well. They are spreading all over. There were 3 of them accross the country this weekend alone. I think Texas and Alabama had one also..... Here is our pdxWAKE group

Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-30-2013, 10:31 AM Reply   
Thanks Tyler. We have a guy in Calgary that is trying to get one going for Alberta this year. We are just going to be down in Montana on that weekend for a family trip. I have emailed Greg quite a few times over the past year to get the information and we will most definitley attend next year.

Trent
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-30-2013, 10:46 AM Reply   
That's really cool guys. I think it would be an awesome event to support and to try and setup everywhere whether it's foster kids, under privileged, or what have you. I have thought about it in the past as well. I've been fortunate enough to grow up on the water and love sharing it with other people. Good job. I'm way too busy this year with moving but something like this would be cool to try and organize. Good job!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-30-2013, 12:27 PM Reply   
Very cool. I'm just up in Vancouver WA. might have to keep an eye out for next year's event.
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-30-2013, 3:40 PM Reply   
im holding wake the world-east texas next monday(aug 5th) it is our first event and will be MUCH smaller than Vince's. but it will still be an awesome day!
Old     (MylesK)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-30-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
That's awesome what you guys are doing. I know last year a few people tried to get a wake the world Oklahoma started but nothing ever happened. If anyone is interested PM me.
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-30-2013, 7:56 PM Reply   
Myles. Where in Oklahoma are you?
Old     (LTRGUY261)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-31-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
Awesome guys!! I am in Southern Oregon and would love to organize something like this down here (Lost Creek Lake maybe). Can you whoever put this together get in touch with me so I can pick your brain and maybe piggy back off of your event next year?
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-31-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
Awesome job guys. Just held WTW KC 2 weeks ago its a great event. Such an awesome thing Greg has started.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-31-2013, 12:16 PM Reply   
Thought I'd post up a few photos that are all over Facebook... This event was off the hook! Amazing show of grace by the boat families that donated time and all the sponsors involved. I think the final count was 122 foster kids got a day on the water. Remember - these kids for the most part have never even been on a lake, let alone playing on a 100K wakeboard boat. This was like winning the lottery for them... And trust me when I say, some of these kids have had a tough road.

These photos are just a few of over 290 that are available on John's FB page.

For me it was great to meet these kids, the foster families and see the smiles on their faces.

Congrats everyone.... You all nailed it!

#PNWRULES
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-31-2013, 12:21 PM Reply   
I love these things, and would love to join in if they come to DFW.
Old     (mmandley)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-31-2013, 12:33 PM Reply   
This is our second year doing it, and we look forward to it all year. No better feeling then giving back a little to those who can't enjoy it all the time like some of us.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-31-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshesaid View Post
I love these things, and would love to join in if they come to DFW.
Same here. I wouldnt mind doing something like this one day if they came to Texas.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-31-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce_bronkite View Post
Same here. I wouldnt mind doing something like this one day if they came to Texas.
Both or either of you can set it up and run it just get in touch with Greg on the wake the world national website. This event doesnt necessarily "come" to you ... you Make it happen. and it really isnt too hard to make it happen. Greg has ironed out alot of the kinks.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-31-2013, 2:00 PM Reply   
Jhart is correct - there is a lot of "make it happen" that occurs. But the good thing is you can lean on everyone you know to help! I think the event in PNW almost doubled in size from the prior year. And will probably do so again next year.
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-31-2013, 3:19 PM Reply   
Jeff and mattG. If either of you want to help next year without setting up an actual event we will be doing it again next year. We are about a 2 hr drive from Dallas area. Texas mastercraft is actually bringing a boat out to help us next week. Message me if this might interest either of you.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-31-2013, 7:47 PM Reply   
I had a blast and felt very fortunate to have the opportunity to serve others and give back. It sometimes gets lost in transition just how privileged some of us are to catch rides/own wake boats.

Last edited by MCObray; 07-31-2013 at 7:49 PM.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-01-2013, 12:47 PM Reply   
Last year I went and helped out the WV event and decided to bring to an event to Ohio for 2013. We had our event in June with about 7 boats and 20 kids. Vince's event is crazy big with the amount of boats and kids. In reality it takes a few hours of planning over a couple of months, talking with friends for their support and you can bring the event to almost any lake. Greg has worked out most kinks and has been working on building data base for drivers and boats that will help. One thing I enjoy is the kids enjoying their first day on the water, it reminds me of the first time on the water as a kid.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-01-2013, 1:12 PM Reply   
We adopted our son thru the foster care system, I would love to be involved in this next year! I had no idea there was even a event like this! Anything I can do to put a smile on a foster kids face, would be awesome! Count me in for next year!!!
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-01-2013, 8:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
Both or either of you can set it up and run it just get in touch with Greg on the wake the world national website. This event doesnt necessarily "come" to you ... you Make it happen. and it really isnt too hard to make it happen. Greg has ironed out alot of the kinks.
There has been 4 events in Texas now. One at canyon lake put on by Ryan Carroll. Wake the world Texas has a fb page. It was on Monday. But there is another at lake Tyler on August 5.
Old     (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-03-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
OK I need to get on this more often, Hey Thanks for all the pic's and kind words, I will say this the hardest part about doing Wake the world was Stepping out and committing, As I look back and remember sitting at my computer as you all are doing right now and watching WTW Texas Video of there event, I sat there and said to my self "I want to do something like this" I want to give back, and what better way then to do it with something I'm very passionate about, I love the water and everything about it, So as I sat there I looked up at the FB post I decided to step out of my comfort zone and messaged Ryan from Texas, and he led me to Greg Hodgin, and I felt the excitement in his voice and felt his passion for these kids and I was on board, So step out, If I would have just watched that video and moved on to another page I would have truly missed out on one of the most amazing events in my life, Now I have friends all over the US and especially in my home state, Great wonderful people with the same passion for wanting to give back, Fear causes us to miss out on so many things in life, Challenge yourself, Get involved with one in your area or start one up your self, Our Wake the World Family will help you in every way, you wont do it alone, And in the process you will see the best out of our community, Greg is easy to find and he will assist you in every way, or you can contact me,

Vince
503-409-5121
wtworegon@gmail.com

http://www.waketheworld.org/
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-03-2013, 11:21 AM Reply   
Those pics are awesome and thanks for sharing! Hoping to be involved next year, such an awesome event. Nice work guys!
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-06-2013, 7:48 PM Reply   
This is a great thread. It is so awesome to hear everyone sharing the stoke! Vince is right that the hardest part is to make the commitment. After you find the kids, find the venue and set a date the rest seems to just come together. I have a data base of a few hundred boat owners across the US & Canada that are ready to help.

On that Monday (July 29th) we had events in Oregon, San Antonio, TX and West Virginia. 52 boats were launched to serve 215 kids that day. This week was Jordan Lake, NC, Tyler, TX and Chain of Lakes, Illinois. Since "Mega Monday" we have been contacted about possible new events in Arkansas, Washington, Central California and Lake Tillery, NC.

I am very excited to be flying to Canada this week to help out with the WTW event just north of Calgary. Our first international event! The wakeboarding community is awesome! This all started with our family and 7 other families in 2008 and now there are 25 events in 17 states and Canada! I am very humbled by the generosity and love you guys share with these kids! Thank you for all you do, and thank you for making my life awesome and meaningful...

Greg
http://www.waketheworld.org