Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-04-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
It's time to put a real stereo in my boat. Boat is a 2005 Malibu VLX.

Before:
headunit: Sony CDX-GT400
interior speakers: four Sony 6.5" X-Plode (stock)
Tower speakers: none
sub: none
amps: none

Planned:
headunit: same Sony CDX-GT400 + Sirius Sat radio hardwired
Interior speakers: four Crossfire RS62
Sub: Crossfire BMF 10" in sealed box under driver's side dash facing the hull
Amps: Zapco Ref 500.1 for sub
Zapco Ref 1000.4 for tower speakers + interior speakers
Tower speakers: Wetsounds Pro-60X

The amps are already bought and the tower speakers are "reserved" for when the next shipment comes in.

The audio shop doing the work carries Crossfire and I've heard the speakers but were not able to compare them to different speakers I was considering due to different locations.

I am trying to decide if I want to add another pair of Wetsounds Pro-60X and use the Zapco 1000.4 to run both pair or just buy one pair and use the amp to run them plus the interior speakers. Planning on going with the Pro-60 vs the Pro-80 due to the possibilty of wanting to add a second pair on the illusion tower. However, there doesn't look to be too much difference in mounting a pair on the crossbar vs. the lower mouting point on the Illusion tower. Also hoping that the Pro-60 is not as bright as the Pro-80.

I went with the Zapco over the Crossfire amps because the Zapco 500.1 was only $50 more than the Crossfire sub amp and had more double the power. The Zapco 1000.4 had double the power of the Crossfire 4-channel but cost about double too.

I had planned on going with the Image Dynamics IDMAX 10" sub but the only local dealer is very poor and Image Dynamics never called me back.

I know there are thousands of speakers and amps out there. What I'd like to know is... does anyone see anything inherently wrong with this set-up or idea of matching these amps and speakers?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-04-2007, 3:02 PM Reply   
hooking up Zapco's to Crossfires are a waste in my opinion.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-04-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
that's one thing I'm concerned about. The logic of going with the Zapco amps was this...

I know it's a quality amp and for the money the 500.1 made sense. The 1000.4 was a little pricey even on sale for $750 through an authorized dealer but I said "what the hell". I think I'll be happy with the amps.

As far as the Crossfire, I'm not famaliar with them other than what I've seen at the dealer. For the interior I had considered going with Polk, Focal, Diamond Audio, Wetsounds new 6.5 co-axial, and a few others. I was able to hear them next to some slightly more expensive Diamnod Audio speakers and the sound was very slightly smoother on the Diamond Audio. If they were going in a car I would probably be going with Focal or Dynaudio.

For the sub, I didn't even consider the Crossfire until recently. I did listen to the JL W7 and W6, preferred the sound of the W6. I couldn't hear the Image Dynamics IDMAX because the dealer didn't have them set up and wasn't willing to do it. Like I said, very poor. They didn't care if I bought it or not. After trying to contact ID directly and not getting a repsonse I said "screw it". If there was a problem I would run into hell with them.

I'm usually a SQ freak but I guess given the open air nature of a boat, I put more emphasis on the amps than the speakers. You could argue by that logic that I should have just bought the most powerfull amp I could regardless of it's quality. What really drove me to the Zapco 1000.4 was that it will be pushing Wetsounds tower speakers. The Crossfire amp carries a 7-year warranty but just didn't have the juice. If I buy 2 pairs of Wetsounds the 1000.4 will be powering them exclusivily.

I've thought about going with the JL 10W6 sub over the Crossfire BMF but without hearing them side by side I couldn't tell. The BMF actaully sounded pretty good. I rationalized that if I don't like it it will go in my wife's car.

I asked my dealer if he thought I should go with the Diamond Audio D6 sub intead of the Crossfire and he said "no". He carries both but didn't have the D6 hooked up for me to listen to at the time. I do think he's an honest, competent guy which is why he's doing the install. I'm not sure our expectation levels are the same though.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-04-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
Can you step the 10 up to a 12"? The incremental cost is probably insignificant, 10's are an OK solution when a 12 won't fit. The 10 will probably end up in the wife's car very soon.

Why not Pro-80's on the tower?
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-04-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
I'm planning on the Pro-60's becasue you can mount two pair on the Illusion tower without using the crossbar. I'm also hoping that since the Pro-60 has been toned down a little to compensate for smaller mid-bass that it the high's won't seem as harsh as I've in some of the 80's. I asked Wetsounds if the 60's were less bright than the 80's and never really got a clear answer. They did say it would have a little less mid-bass due to the smaller driver. That thought has been nagging at me and almost made just buy the 80's and hang a pair on the crossbar.

I think I've decided to buy 2 pairs of tower speakers and use that Zapco 1000.4 for them and buy another cheaper amp for the interior speakers.

As for the sub, I like fast, tight bass and just always thought a 10" sounded better.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-04-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
Chad,

Yes the high end has been toned down to match nicely with the smaller mid bass. The PRO 80's have also had a crossover revision and they are toned down as well. It looks like you have a very nice system planned and that Zapco is a great amp. 2 prs of 60X's will be perfect. Send me some pics when you get them up.

The new Xs in boat speakers will be shipping in 2 weeks.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2007, 2:23 AM Reply   
Chad,
Sounds like you are doing your homework and taking any advise that is reasonalbe. As an authorized Zapco dealer, I've done numerous systems using the Ref. 1000.4 as they are great fit for the NVS Entity. The reason I'm posting here isn't to work you on your tower selection but to advise you on the 1000.4.
We run them very hard as do most of our customers. For some reason Zapco has refused to put an inboard fan on that amp. In car installs they may be fine without, but I never install one in a boat without a fan kit.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2007, 2:29 AM Reply   
Chad,
Also, I've done some extensive testing on the W6 v2 12" along with the Alumapro Alchemy RX 12" If you really are an SQ guy you would take the Alchemy in a heart beat. Measurably louder but most importantly much more articulate. Same power.
Yes I'm an Alumapro dealer....but for good reason.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-05-2007, 3:44 AM Reply   
Duane,

How much is a fan kit? Is it a generic kit or Zapco specific?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
Chad,
couple of ways to go here. give me a ring and I'll explain.
408-569-6040