Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-27-2003, 7:55 AM Reply   
I'm wondering if anyone has the same problem as I have with their ballast. I have a SAN 02' and I noticed that if I open the valves on my ballast, the rear tanks will fill by themselves if I drive the boat forward. I don't even need to turn on the pumps. However the center tank does not fill. When I looked at hull, I noticed that there are three scoops for taking in the water. The rear tanks have the scoop facing forward which explains why when I drive the boat the tanks fill by themselves. The center tanks scoop is backwards which explains why it doesn't fill when going forward. If I drive in reverse, it does fill.

My question is, did CC do this by design, or did they screw up when then installed the scoop on my center tank? Anyone else notice this problem?
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-27-2003, 10:21 AM Reply   
Not sure why they did that but my scoops were set up the same as yours, so I'm assuming there was a reason they all were done that way. I never noticed the problem because I used my pumps to fill the tanks. That is why each tank has it's own pump!

I did notice that sometimes the pumps will not prime because they had an air bubble in them, but all ballast with pumps will do this from time to time.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-27-2003, 11:08 AM Reply   
I'm thinking of turning the scoop around to face forward but I wonder if that would cause any problems. It would be nice to know their reasoning for putting it on backwards.

I have the same problem with priming the pumps as you. Its nice to fill them by just driving. It's faster than using the pumps.
Old    oldschool            03-27-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
The only issue I could see is if the front ballast is a bag and they don't want constant watter coming into it. This could cause over-expansion and possibly damange the floor. I am not up to speed on SAN's, but is the front ballast a tank or bag? If it's a bag, I would leave it backwards, or turn it around and put a flow-rite valve on it to stop water intake when you want.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-27-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
It is a hard tank. That does make sense with a bag. Maybe they are thinking two steps ahead of us.
Old    oldschool            03-27-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
I can't possible seem the harm in turning it around. Are there any valves on the tanks now? What's stops the water from constantly coming in and pushing water right out? If it were me, and there is a way to stop the water from entering the tank onces it's finished, I would turn it around. It would fill almost twice as fast.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-27-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
There is a valve on the line. It is constructed where there is the scoop, then the valve, then the pump. I think I'll just turn it around.