Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-17-2014, 8:26 AM Reply   
I read a post that said wakeboarding is a hobby and I couldn't disagree more. I wrote this for wakeboarders

Wakeboarding is not a hobby for me. It is a lifestyle. How else could I justify living in a tiny house by the water and paying more/month for my boat than my house (considering payment, fuel, operating costs, insurance, etc)?

I believe that the rise of wake surfing and the boat industry's shift in focus that direction will lead to the purification of the sport. When I consider what it meant to be a wakeboarder, even in a pro wakeboarder, in the 90 vs today I see a vision that came off the tracks. I could have never imagined 100K boats and all major board companies owned by a water-lounge company (exemptions: Ronix and SS). Wakesurfing is purifying the sport I love. The guys who go straight to wake surfing or abandon wakeboarding because it is just too rough were never wakeboarders to begin with. Wakesurfing is safe. It is a tourist sport. You can play on the weekends and be healthy enough to earn your boat payment on Monday. Wakeboarding is a terrible hobby because it costs. You will bleed. You will eventually hear that unsettling pop and you will eventually be sidelined. I'm in a lockout knee-brace right now, but it doesn't bother me. I'm still a wakeboarder. I wakeboard because I love it. I love the sun. I love the water. I Iove the butterflies of a new rail or breaking the ice on a new trick. I love pushing the handle to the small of my back and praying....and the feeling when I make it.

I don't care where the industry is going as long as I know where I (my riding) am going. I'm sure I will be wakeboarding long after it is cool or when wakeboarding is the new hot thing again. I'd like to compare what is happening in wakeboarding today to what happened to skateboarding in the 80-90s. Skateboarding matured, It was no longer hip. It drifted out of the mainstream and into the underground. The core remained strong and birthed street skating. There has never been a better time to be a wakeboarder. You can find an old V-drive for under $20K. Every major city is getting a cable park and there is a 2-way system on every corner. Wakeboarding is evolving. The PWT is no longer relevant. There are new guys from odd places (not orlando) doing things we can't even imagine and I can't wait until the online clip drops.

To quote a best friend, "I'm a lifer."
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-17-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
Great post.. Thank you!!!!
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-17-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
Well written and i agree with you completely!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-17-2014, 9:06 AM Reply   
Great post! I started skiing in college in the mid 70's and kept it up until 94 when I switched to wakeboarding. I have just recently surpassed my years as a skier (trick, slalom, barefoot) with my number of years wakeboarding (19 vs 20). With that perspective I've seen wakeboarding consistently being more popular than most of the years skiing. And to this day it still seems to be growing in popularity. Next year I'll hit 60 and I still procrastinate on life's other duties so I can wakeboard. It definitely is a lifestyle for those who love the sport.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-17-2014, 9:06 AM Reply   
I like it, purification. Get rid of those that only want to benefit what they can from it.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-17-2014, 10:01 AM Reply   
Agreed.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-17-2014, 10:13 AM Reply   
+1 to wakeboarding being a lifestyle

if you've seen my facebook, you'd know that I revolve my life around my boat and wakeboarding. most serious surfers, snowboarders, skateboarders, mx racers are the same. Heck even runners, triathletes, etc... are the same way. Whatever you enjoy doing, immerse yourself in it. Live it and breath it.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-17-2014, 10:43 AM Reply   
Some of the realest talk I've ever heard on this site, and I couldn't agree more. Great post!
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-17-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
Good stuff.
Old     (Wahini)      Join Date: Jul 2014       09-17-2014, 12:07 PM Reply   
That's my husband. Couldn't agree more. Proud of him. ��
Old     (JOEYDELK)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-17-2014, 12:35 PM Reply   
Very well written!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-17-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
I gotta chime in and say AMEN to that..... The only thing that sucks right now is finding other lifers to hit the water at any given or inspiring moment! There are a bunch of "exclusive" type riders that think the are something special and don't ride for the fun but to be recognized by anyone who will listen.

One of the original things that appealed to me about the sport is that riders of all skill levels could get together and hang out & chill out having a good time (similar to golf) while pushing themselves. The money side of it ironically kills that many times.

It does take a commitment and I have seen many people leave wakeboarding because they don't have the stoke to learn new stuff and it gets boring or they have "other things" that are more important.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-17-2014, 12:46 PM Reply   
I like your attitude!
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-17-2014, 12:51 PM Reply   
Hard as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-17-2014, 1:03 PM Reply   
Great thread.

I recently found myself getting a bit fatigued on wakeboarding in general. Seemed like pulling teeth to get people amped to ride and was tired of always being the one to have to "push" people. I even considered selling my boat all together. (i'm also down an ACL)

This summer I gained my motivation back and had a great summer of riding trying to progress and having fun.

I do however, remain frustrated at the cost of new boats. Seems crazy in some ways to consider dropping $60 to $70k on a (used) boat... but on the other hand time spent on the water is hard to beat and I do enjoy boats and the "motorsports" aspect of it all.

Personally, unless I have a serious injury or financial setback i'll continue to primarily wakeboard, with surfing reserved for when i'm hurt, tired or its rough out. If a cable park was to pop up close to me that would be icing on the cake.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-17-2014, 1:13 PM Reply   
It never really hit me that I was a "rider" until I had ridden for about 7 rears and consistently 3-4 days a week. I realized the only area I was riding was a "no wake" zone (not a launch area and no houses on my lake or bridges to speak of. Just an area that was marked off. I'm not trying to say I'm a rebel and that makes me a rider, it was just the reasons we went there, nice area to drive a double up, width of channel similar to the delta so the wakes were gone, no power turners, tubers, jet skis or wake surfers to speak of. The rangers on the lake didn't bother us they were pretty cool about us riding there. I just kind of noticed one day that this sport consumed my life and this was "my spot." I couldn't listen to music without thinking of how to edit to it. And I can't go camping at a lake without the boat and board in tow. Riding is really part of who I am, it's something I do almost daily. Some people devote their free time to their church, I donate mine to the lake. We live close to the lake and it's not rare to see us pull out around 12:30 or 1:00 and then launching again around 6:30. Same group of people ready to get an evening shred in our little spot that we've shredded for years.
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-17-2014, 1:35 PM Reply   
I'm still rehabbing a shoulder from a snowboard injury so I haven't been able to wakeboard as of yet. I have enjoyed being on the new boat this summer and surfing has given me a way to stay sane while I recover. but Im REALLY looking forward to getting back to the straps. Great post.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-17-2014, 1:47 PM Reply   
Spot on. I feel the same way. I guess you could say that wakeboarding is the captain of your heart...that post put into video form --

http://www.wakepics.com/video/12968/...n-of-her-heart

Last edited by brhanley; 09-17-2014 at 1:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-17-2014, 2:26 PM Reply   
Preach brotha!

I'm looking forward to the fakeboarders leaving!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-17-2014, 3:33 PM Reply   
I've had this for a long time and I think it was originally posted on here and saved it because it really spoke to me. Although I still love wakeboarding I do find my friends and I do less and less of it and more surfing. Wakeboarding has started to take it's toll on me and I'm not pushing myself anymore due to risk of injury.

regardless:

What is wakeboarding? The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language defines wakeboarding as "a short, very broad water ski ridden in the manner of a surfboard by a person towed by a motorboat." Pretty simple, right? It's just a form of waterskiing. All it is is something to do on a hot day in the middle of the summer to cool off. So why is there such a fuss about it? Why does Google pull up 816,000 websites containing wakeboarding? Why is there wakeboarding in the X-Games? Why does wakeboarding have its own Pro Tour? Why are you reading this?
Why? Because wakeboarding is much more than a sport. Have you ever sat down and thought of what wakeboarding really is? Sure, to a lot of you wakeboarding is just a sport. You participate when you want to and do other things when you are not wakeboarding, without giving it as much as another thought. But, to the others, especially those that are still reading this (and paying attention), wakeboarding is not just a sport.
I have been wakeboarding since August 24, 1994. Anytime before this date is now known as the BW (Before Wakeboarding) era. During my BW era, I waterskied, I kneeboarded, I tubed and, generally, I just screwed around on the water. However, once I got up for the first time on a wakeboard, I never looked back. There was something different about wakeboarding versus the other water sports. Wakeboarding gave me more freedom when I was behind the boat. I had more options when I was riding. It seemed to me that I was being sucked into something that instantly tried to take over my life. Wakeboarding soon turned into a drug that I could not live without…something that I simply couldn't get enough of. And, as I got more involved with wakeboarding, I noticed that the same feeling spread to those that were around me.
Now, odds are if you are still reading this and comprehending what I am saying, then you probably feel the same way about wakeboarding as I do. So what do you say when someone asks you what wakeboarding is? Have you ever really thought about what wakeboarding is to you? Wakeboarding isn't just when you are riding behind the boat. It is much more complex than that. To me, wakeboarding is:
• Floating in the lake at 11 pm asking "Who's up next?"
• Watching your best friend land a trick for the first time and making him come in the boat so you can go learn it real quick.
• Making a pact with your buddies the night before you go ride to all try a Raley, and then having to hold up your end of the bargain.
• Having a coffee table in your living room made out of a wakeboard.
• The expression on someone's face as they get up for the first time.
• The smell of an outboard engine.

• Running a victory lap in the boat in perfectly calm water around your buddy that just landed an invert he had been working on forever.
• Filling up the fat sacs at my buddy's house with his water hose to save time.
• Keeping a calendar on the wall of every time you ride and noticing that you only missed 3 days within 3 months.
• Concussions.
• Having to cut bindings off of your friends' foot due to a bad fall.
• Hopping around the living room in your board and bindings.
• Riding almost 12 hours a day, then coming home and watching wakeboarding videos.
• The sun stabbing your shoulders cause you have been out every day that week.

Teaching someone from a tube that is tied 10 feet in front of them.
• Watching your buddy take crash after crash on Raleys, but still getting back up for more.
• Driving the boat all day even though you can't ride.
• Someone that you have never seen before in your life recognizing the Hyperlite symbol on your hat and striking up an hour-long conversation.
• Riding doubles.
• The rivers, lakes, bayous and ditches we have all ridden in.
• Landing an invert on your first attempt.
• Having a wakeboard banner on the wall in your house.
• Having all 4 board racks full on your boat and still have boards on the floor.
• Mosquitoes. ( at the slew)
• The latest Wakeboard Magazine.
• Wakeboarding one weekend, snowboarding the following and wakeboarding the next.
• Blood all over your brand new white handle.
• Hand signals.
And the list goes on and on. But, there is one simple point that I am trying to express. To some, wakeboarding is a sport, but to others, it is a lifestyle. There are tons of riders that come and go, and then there are riders that are involved no matter what the consequences.
As riders, we are loyal to the wakeboarding. We defend it when it is attacked, we embrace it each time we are out on the boat and we support it by hosting tourneys, clinics and demos. We want to spread the stoke of wakeboarding to all, but, at the same time, we keep some things secret so we can enjoy it in our selfish ways. We support the companies that deliver wakeboarding to our doorstep and we curse those that try to take it away from us. We get upset when we have an off day on the water, yet we continue to come back for more. And, we continue to push ourselves to the mental and physical limits that are involved with wakeboarding each and every day.
So, if you ever get the chance, ask yourself what wakeboarding is to you and really put some thought into it. To me, wakeboarding is not just a sport, but it is a lifestyle. It is my lifestyle.
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-18-2014, 12:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
• Wakeboarding one weekend, snowboarding the following and wakeboarding the next.
oh man when i lived in socal we would get out at lake Perris at 5:30 am, ride til about 11 or noon, head home to drop off the boat to go snowboarding at Mt High til 10 pm (when they closed) all in the same day.

Man I miss those days.

Those were the double wetsuit days.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-18-2014, 5:54 AM Reply   
I feel that this fits somewhere in here. If any of you have been to Shredtown's website, you'll see this in their about section:

"One of our good friends wrote this to us in a text and I think it pretty much sums up what we stand for.

Our lives are gifts dude. Being able to shred is a gift. Do you know what introduced you to the shred? I don’t even know, because I know I skate and wakeboarded for a while, not truly understanding what shredding really meant. I don’t think until recently like in the past couple years I really understood what shredding is. Shredding is a term that should not be taken lightly. I know it is thrown around like duuuude lets shred the gnar and **** like that. But shred, shredding and the shred have a deep true meaning. I believe it is a word understood by a select few, and the shred is the only way to describe this way of life. Try to imagine a life without shred, no skate, no wake, no snow, who would we be? What would we live for, what would we get pumped about? What would we think about? What would we try to do with our lives? Its nuts thinking about how much this shred thing has affected our lives, seriously dude, what would we be talking about without our love for shredding, trying to make a **** load of money? But to do what with? Buy a big house and a fast car? I just think that shredding puts a lot of things in perspective like some of the best things in life aren’t hard to obtain if you want it for the right reason, I just think its so badass that we know what fuels us and we know what truly makes us happy and we can live this life, its just a matter of choice, people could see us as bums or losers cause we’re not making a lot of money, which seems to be the most important thing in our society, I dunno dude, I guess what im trying to say is we’re really lucky to have this shred thing cause I feel like all the rest don’t have anything like that and don’t really know what to want other than a job that pays a lot no matter how ****ty and time consuming the job is, it’s a trip to think about how we’re just humans living on planet earth and we do this thing we call shredding and we love it, we think it’s the most badass thing that exists, we think about it everyday, we want to do it every chance we get, it really is apart of us, we really do have something that very few have, a passion, something we love, something we pursue, we wont ever change, we are shredders for life, lets all be thankful for the shred in our lives and thank God that we have something that we really do love. This life is short, we will all die at some point, we all have awesome lives especially us shredders, lets live everyday we are able and never look back, we gotta stay true to what we love and not fall into any kind of bs, we have been given many gifts, we are blessed dude, we have a lot, be thankful and live well brotha, shred all you can cause it’s a gift, one life dude we have one life, only one, and we know what we wanna do with it, we’re gonna shred till we die, why would we do anything else!"

I am by no means a 20+ year wakeboarder... Hell I'm not even 20 years old. But wakeboarding is what puts that ear to ear grin on my face. It's hard to put into words the feeling of stomping something new, or watching someone get up for the first time, it's just incredible. On top of that 99% of the people I have met in wakeboarding are fantastic, positive people who wakeboard for the same reasons.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-18-2014, 6:25 AM Reply   
I agree with everything here wholeheartedly. It (original post) is exactly how I feel and I don't think that I could have worded it as well though. I too am rehabbing (tore my quadricep tendon (don't do that one ACL is preferred)) from my 2nd surgery this this summer. I was injured on my 1st day on the water... However, my love of the lifestyle has kept my passion and fueled my motivation to rehab. I was back out on the lake the day after my injury with my leg immobilized and propped up on the cooler. I knew that I was going to be the boat driver for the rest of the summer. The thing that scares me is that the Dr told me that I would lose range of motion due to my injury and then when I re-tore it he said that the loss of motion would most likely be increased. I don't want to accept this, but I am following orders and trying my best to be compliant as I heal. I don't want to be forced to give up the stoke that I get from wakeboarding and have to surf as a last resort. We have been on the lake most weekends all summer and my 5 year old daughter has been kneeboarding doubles with some of my friends and even rode solo a few times. This has helped with the summer off the water. The only thing else that I wanted to say in this long ramble is that I miss the days 20 yrs ago when we had a large crew and we were all pushing each other. Now my crew is really down to just me and one friend But it is hard to get our schedules to line up. I also want to thank my wife for understanding that it is a lifestyle and supporting me in every aspect. She doesn't ride and no amount of convincing will get her to try. But, she is my coach and driver and never complains even when her other household responsibilities are rushed or whatnot because we spent the weekend at the lake again.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-18-2014, 8:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhanley View Post
Spot on. I feel the same way. I guess you could say that wakeboarding is the captain of your heart...that post put into video form --

http://www.wakepics.com/video/12968/...n-of-her-heart
LOL... I remember that. Best wakeboard video ever!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2014, 2:19 PM Reply   
Preach on brother! I'm certainly in the same boat and couldn't have said it better. As someone who has had several surgeries and been in the hosipital a time or two as well, there is almost nothing that I'd rather be doing. On the water, in the boat, all the while hanging with friends and family. There is nothing better!

VIVA WAKEBOARDING!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-20-2014, 7:12 AM Reply   
Justin you must be reading my mind, this is how I have always and still view wakeboarding an dive been doing it since 1996 so im right there with you brother..

I wanted to make a Tshirt that says those that Can wakeboard, do, those that CANT, SURF LOL

Justifying buying a 150k boat to just surf and tube in my mind is ridiculous but that's just me..

its not a hobby or sport it is a way of life for me and im not sure if that will ever change.. Cable parks have helped fill the void when I cant get behind a boat but cant ever really replace the boat vibe..
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-21-2014, 5:58 PM Reply   
I am the one that wrote its a hobby, you can make it a lifestyle or whatever makes it enjoyable for you and your family and friends. Its a hobby, an activity. I wakeboard, have been sense 2002, have participated in many different sports and activities and when you talk about wake boarding or skiing etc etc, its a boating activity. Cable parks are a fad, they will come and go, just like skate parks. i am not hating at all, i wakeboard and surf, tube the kids, and drink beer while floating on the boat (yes, like 99% of boaters also enjoy, responsibly)

The only reason people complain about wake boarders, and surfers is its the minority, its the same as the kids skateboarding on the city sidewalk. For most boaters, its a nuisance. Listen, I raced AMA and WERA with a pro license for 10 yrs and guess what, it was not a lifestyle or a profession and when people asked what i do for a living, it was not race motorcycles. now thats been 10 yrs now and i was nobody. Every weekend it was about getting to the track with friends and enjoying a hobby. Everyone wants to make wake boarding out to be some amazing thing. Everyone on The post Justin was tailing about where trying to justify why wake boarding should be the norm and that wake surfing and tubing etc etc is lame and ruins the water. Guess what, nobody outside of our little world cares. There are more people surfing because water sports are activities to enjoy while boating. yes, boating is what got this started, hence the reason its a boating activity.

This industry is based mainly on 40 to 50 yr old white collar professionals buying boats for there children, and thats ok. I am sure that those boat owners do not consider there activity a lifestyle either. A handful of wake boats are sold every year, and you will find more wakeboard boaters later in life buying non wakeboard boats.
I live on a lake, have a 100k boat and live in nice home, I work my @ss off to have it and enjoy with my fam and friends. I wish people would grow up and realize that making a big deal out of surfers or boarders etc etc ruining the water is the problem. Arguing about who should an should not be allowed to use the public water is retarded. Everyone has the same rights and should have the same courtesy for others and be able to find space on the lake to all get out and have fun. Its a small core group that voices there opinions that creates the noise that opens the door for laws and regulations. Then everyone is screwed. Oh, I also have a Harley and I don't wear skulls, have any tattoo's and could not care less if mopeds or sport bikes take up space on the road. I don't cry when a moped is going slow, i just ignore and go around. I guess i could complain and maybe mopeds would not be allowed anymore, maybe that would make me "feel better about myself" Sounds like a bunch of babies crying about surfers or tubers or skier (pick one) is upsetting the carma and mojo of there saturday butter. lol total joke.

Justin, no disrespect to your decision to choice a path in life. Many choose to be vegetarian, vegan, maybe even alternative. many lifestyles out there, i guess if wake boarding is a lifestyle its probably better than others
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-21-2014, 6:50 PM Reply   
Great post, Justin! Very well said.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-21-2014, 7:06 PM Reply   
How about a shirt that says
Front
You don't stop wakeboarding because you get old
Back
You get old because you stop wakeboarding!
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-21-2014, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
I am the one that wrote its a hobby, you can make it a lifestyle or whatever makes it enjoyable for you and your family and friends. Its a hobby, an activity. I wakeboard, have been sense 2002, have participated in many different sports and activities and when you talk about wake boarding or skiing etc etc, its a boating activity. Cable parks are a fad, they will come and go, just like skate parks. i am not hating at all, i wakeboard and surf, tube the kids, and drink beer while floating on the boat (yes, like 99% of boaters also enjoy, responsibly)

The only reason people complain about wake boarders, and surfers is its the minority, its the same as the kids skateboarding on the city sidewalk. For most boaters, its a nuisance. Listen, I raced AMA and WERA with a pro license for 10 yrs and guess what, it was not a lifestyle or a profession and when people asked what i do for a living, it was not race motorcycles. now thats been 10 yrs now and i was nobody. Every weekend it was about getting to the track with friends and enjoying a hobby. Everyone wants to make wake boarding out to be some amazing thing. Everyone on The post Justin was tailing about where trying to justify why wake boarding should be the norm and that wake surfing and tubing etc etc is lame and ruins the water. Guess what, nobody outside of our little world cares. There are more people surfing because water sports are activities to enjoy while boating. yes, boating is what got this started, hence the reason its a boating activity.

This industry is based mainly on 40 to 50 yr old white collar professionals buying boats for there children, and thats ok. I am sure that those boat owners do not consider there activity a lifestyle either. A handful of wake boats are sold every year, and you will find more wakeboard boaters later in life buying non wakeboard boats.
I live on a lake, have a 100k boat and live in nice home, I work my @ss off to have it and enjoy with my fam and friends. I wish people would grow up and realize that making a big deal out of surfers or boarders etc etc ruining the water is the problem. Arguing about who should an should not be allowed to use the public water is retarded. Everyone has the same rights and should have the same courtesy for others and be able to find space on the lake to all get out and have fun. Its a small core group that voices there opinions that creates the noise that opens the door for laws and regulations. Then everyone is screwed. Oh, I also have a Harley and I don't wear skulls, have any tattoo's and could not care less if mopeds or sport bikes take up space on the road. I don't cry when a moped is going slow, i just ignore and go around. I guess i could complain and maybe mopeds would not be allowed anymore, maybe that would make me "feel better about myself" Sounds like a bunch of babies crying about surfers or tubers or skier (pick one) is upsetting the carma and mojo of there saturday butter. lol total joke.

Justin, no disrespect to your decision to choice a path in life. Many choose to be vegetarian, vegan, maybe even alternative. many lifestyles out there, i guess if wake boarding is a lifestyle its probably better than others
Just because it's only a hobby for you doesn't mean that's the way it is for everyone. For me, going out and shooting hoops with my friends is a fun activity to do every now and then, but that doesn't mean some people don't eat, sleep, and breathe basketball.

Maybe thats not the best analogy, but it just seems as if you don't believe that it could be a sport or a lifestyle simply because you don't have the passion for it that others do. In my case, wakeboarding has given me everything. As sad as it may seem to you, if all action sports were to disappear off the face of the earth, I'd have no idea how to identify myself. My passion, my closest friends, my mentors, my job, and soon to be career are all a result of wakeboarding. I have no disrespect for people who ride casually, but given what wakeboarding has done for me I just can't agree that its only a hobby.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-21-2014, 9:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Cable parks are a fad, they will come and go, just like skate parks.
Hmm. Where I live (Utah) public skateparks are opening every couple years, not closing. Seems like flawed logic to me. One person's hobby can very easily be another's passion and lifestyle, just as Ttime41 said with his Basketball analogy.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-22-2014, 5:40 AM Reply   
I am not saying you cannot be passionate about wake boarding or surfing, skiing whatever. The argument is not if you enjoy it or not, its the extreme small percentage that make a mockery of anyone who is not concerned with pushing it to the max. The reason its a hobby, is that most, and i mean 99% look at it as a hobby. A part of boating, something to add enjoyment to the day. So on sat morning do you go out on the boat, with your score cards, judges, and kit you comp set them hurry up and park the boat? Sounds silly, do you bash all your buddies for wanting to surf, or tube or just hang and have a few.

Its those people who make the problem. Instead of enjoying the water and boating, they bitch about everyone who is not conforming to there philosophy regarding the activity they should be doing. Its now to the point that the police are pressing on anyone doing anything behind there boat.

Rich, maybe on the west coast, but they are starving over on the east coast. Maybe orlando, but most are dead.
although there was a time when laser tag was big and now its not, paint ball is heading in the same direction. I am not saying it won't survive, but lets be honest, its for the very small group and would not hedge my money into building a park for profit.

As for lifestyle, please think of what that means, not eating meat is a lifestyle, I understand you are passionate but I hope most understand, every few would associate wake boarding as a lifestyle.

I have yet to meet someone who has introduced themselves as a wakeboarder.

As for not having the passion, Its not how passionate you or I am towards a certain activity, its really how the population regards it. We can both love it and feel its the carter of all things that keep the world spinning, but the other 99% on the water probably don't, and really don't care if you do or not, and really just want to enjoy the day.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-22-2014, 6:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
I am not saying you cannot be passionate about wake boarding or surfing, skiing whatever. The argument is not if you enjoy it or not, its the extreme small percentage that make a mockery of anyone who is not concerned with pushing it to the max. The reason its a hobby, is that most, and i mean 99% look at it as a hobby. A part of boating, something to add enjoyment to the day. So on sat morning do you go out on the boat, with your score cards, judges, and kit you comp set them hurry up and park the boat? Sounds silly, do you bash all your buddies for wanting to surf, or tube or just hang and have a few.

Its those people who make the problem. Instead of enjoying the water and boating, they bitch about everyone who is not conforming to there philosophy regarding the activity they should be doing. Its now to the point that the police are pressing on anyone doing anything behind there boat.

Rich, maybe on the west coast, but they are starving over on the east coast. Maybe orlando, but most are dead.
although there was a time when laser tag was big and now its not, paint ball is heading in the same direction. I am not saying it won't survive, but lets be honest, its for the very small group and would not hedge my money into building a park for profit.

As for lifestyle, please think of what that means, not eating meat is a lifestyle, I understand you are passionate but I hope most understand, every few would associate wake boarding as a lifestyle.

As for not having the passion, Its not how passionate you or I am towards a certain activity, its really how the population regards it. We can both love it and feel its the carter of all things that keep the world spinning, but the other 99% on the water probably don't, and really don't care if you do or not, and really just want to enjoy the day.

I don't think anyone has ever come up to me and said "Hi, I'm ____, and I'm a vegetarian" either..

Passionate wakeboarders think down on everyone? Don't want to enjoy a day on the water? You're right, that's how we all are. I'm sure your 99% argument is based off pure fact as well.

Regardless, it's not worth arguing. Most on this site see it as a sport, the industry created around it sees it as a sport, the pro riders obviously see it as a sport, it was considered for the Olympics as a sport, it was once a part of the X Games (a venue for action sports). The list goes on. You are part of an extremely small minority.

And yes, I know what lifestyle means. Wakeboarding is part of how I dress, who I hang out with, what I think about while I'm not on the water, what I want to do the minute I have some free time, etc. I would say that consumes my life a lot more than being a vegetarian would.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-22-2014, 12:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Sorry Doug, but you just don't really get it. Did you take a poll to determine if enough people are "viewing it as a lifestyle" to determine if its possible? You bought a house on a lake and a 100K boat, and work your ass off for it. I bought a house on a lake, have a 22 year boat, an annual pass to the cable, and I choose to wakeboard instead of working my ass off to get more stuff. Your hobbies come and go. I've had hobbies too. I started skiing almost 4 decades ago in college and it is still my main interest. Where I choose to live and how much money I make are tradeoffs I've made to enjoy the sport. To me that is a lifestyle.

Not sure how the cable is a fad. How short of a life span defines a fad? I've been hitting the local cable since it opened 15 years ago. The one in Deerfield has been around for many decades. They are popping up all over the country at an accelerated rate. Even if they aren't or stop being commercially viable because of lack of popular interest, that doesn't refute that wakeboarding can be a lifestyle. Lifestyle and popularity contest are not synonymous.

Quote:
Don't like to brag.

Curious why you feel so compelled to rain on the parade of people talking about how they view this as a lifestyle. It appears that your are personally offended by the idea.
Old     (MobyNick)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-22-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
Some of the realest talk I've ever heard on this site, and I couldn't agree more. Great post!
You're so wake brah
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-22-2014, 1:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyNick View Post
You're so wake brah

I do it for you Moby Nick!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-22-2014, 5:03 PM Reply   
John, i do get it, i understand how you want it to be, i understand its your life, passion, everything, but for most its not. Its that ideal, that wake boat owners are entitled to some special treatment. thats what the other thread was all about. Yes, i think saying its a lifestyle is silly, thats my opinion, does not mean i hate. i love it, both boarding and surfing. I just think its got out of control and there is revolving door of bitching at the lake about who should and should not, when you should be allowed to (whatever) and not.

i get up a 7 am on saturdays with the guys in my neighborhood and board till noon most weekends. we also surf, take out kids out on the tube, cruse the sunset and drink a few, we don't bash, hate or press for others to have to limit there access to the lake so a small few (that are acting entitled) should have there glass all day all the time. Thats what has caused lakes to ban boarding, surfing and or limit it to certain times of the day. just like personal watercraft when it hit the massed in the early 90's there where bans on when you could go out.

I
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-22-2014, 7:14 PM Reply   
Doug, I did not write this for you. You are a hobbyist, a pedestrian, an outsider. "I wrote this for wakeboarders."

John was more than polite and patient with you by saying that you don't get it. You need to leave this discussion and go post in a "Check out the size of my boat, wake, tow-vehicle, wiener" thread.

Last edited by skiboarder; 09-22-2014 at 7:17 PM.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-23-2014, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
John, i do get it, i understand how you want it to be, i understand its your life, passion, everything, but for most its not. Its that ideal, that wake boat owners are entitled to some special treatment. thats what the other thread was all about. Yes, i think saying its a lifestyle is silly, thats my opinion, does not mean i hate. i love it, both boarding and surfing. I just think its got out of control and there is revolving door of bitching at the lake about who should and should not, when you should be allowed to (whatever) and not.

i get up a 7 am on saturdays with the guys in my neighborhood and board till noon most weekends. we also surf, take out kids out on the tube, cruse the sunset and drink a few, we don't bash, hate or press for others to have to limit there access to the lake so a small few (that are acting entitled) should have there glass all day all the time. Thats what has caused lakes to ban boarding, surfing and or limit it to certain times of the day. just like personal watercraft when it hit the massed in the early 90's there where bans on when you could go out.

I
Once again you missed the whole point of this thread... Go post this in "Paradigm to Surfing" thread. This thread is not about entitlement to the lake, glass, etc. By the way all of your posts here are "hating" as your above post stated you aren't. Cool if you don't agree with the OP and others but why add negativity where it is not needed?
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-23-2014, 6:55 AM Reply   
Kill the stoke! Kill the stoke! That's the wake world way, isn't it? Its inevitable, every time someone tries to share some good vibes about anything on here "that guy" has to post up on the thread and kill the stoke. This was an awesome, and fun to read thread before, you guessed it "that guy" showed up. Lesson to everyone....Don't be "that guy"!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-23-2014, 6:57 AM Reply   
jsutin, does not matter who you wrote it for, its a public forum and I don't care if you like what i say or not. And yes, its a hobby for me, thank god I cannot imagine my life being held together by so little. Please respect others on the water, its not yours and you are not entitled to it. Let others enjoy there hobby too.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-23-2014, 6:58 AM Reply   
Hope that made you "feel better about yourself"
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-23-2014, 7:20 AM Reply   
Doug, we are all finished with you. You have written the same post 10 times and it is off topic. You are adding nothing to our discussion. Did I say anything about restricting hobbyists access to water at any point? No. Do your thing.

You are not entitled to wreck this thread.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-23-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
What is wrong with this "guy"? Please leave Doug.

Justin, thanks for your Original post, there are a lot of guys on this forum who can relate and Im definitley one of them.

Heck, I own my own business and schedule my meetings and work load based on the weather/calm water. Yesterday was in the 80s which meant a few meetings had to be "postponed". Life is too short to not be passionate about something. For a bunch of us this is wakeboarding.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-23-2014, 8:15 AM Reply   
I'm sidelined now, but I've been thinking about my riding a lot. There are so many tricks that I have never done and have no good excuse for not trying. I've never done a switch TS Backroll, a switch tantrum or never really worked hard on big switch airs. It really bothers me that I never broke the ice on those.

What if we started a weekly challenge thread from now until the end of Oct? Post up what you are going to try that week/weekend and then report back if you broke the ice, landed it, ate crap or even totally wussed out. It doesn't have to be top end stuff. You could plan on breaking the ice on a bankroll and then learn to do a BS 180 in the flats--whatever. Just a body of people committed to progression. It could be a place for tips, encouragement and sh*t talking.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-23-2014, 9:05 AM Reply   
I could probably get a video or two of trying things that I've never landed to contribute. Most likely to be in the cable though.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-23-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
Cable, boat: Its all wakeboarding.
Old     (twowake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-23-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
Great post Justin, i couldn't agree more!! Lifer here as well.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       09-23-2014, 10:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
What if we started a weekly challenge thread from now until the end of Oct? Post up what you are going to try that week/weekend and then report back if you broke the ice, landed it, ate crap or even totally wussed out. It doesn't have to be top end stuff. You could plan on breaking the ice on a bankroll and then learn to do a BS 180 in the flats--whatever. Just a body of people committed to progression. It could be a place for tips, encouragement and sh*t talking.
I like this idea!
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-23-2014, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Please respect others on the water,
doug you talk about respect on the water, where is your respect for others OFF the water? clearly you don't have any here. The way you are here makes me feel like you probably don't have respect ON the water also.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-23-2014, 1:10 PM Reply   
We used to have this going every year here in Dallas with Shudo. Everyone would put together a video of staple tricks and trying/landing new tricks then we would get together at the end of the season and play the vids, drink, eat, talk smack, and vote on "best new trick" "most improved rider" etc..... It was what I looked forward to all year but has now died because to many people are .....once again "to cool" or " to busy" or something other excuse that let their ego get in the way. To me, it totally turned it into a lifestyle.

Now I can't even get a full crew many times to ride my home lake that is the lowest its ever been! There is a definite shift in the "lifestyle" thought process.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-23-2014, 1:38 PM Reply   
Hell yes Justin, that's how you the core stronger!

I'll start, I broke the ice on a switch crow and a TS5 the past few weeks. Ima give'em both a huck this week and try to get some vid. Maybe someone can show me what im doing wrong.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-23-2014, 2:47 PM Reply   
I am not hating, justin started a thread based on what I said in a different thread. obviously no one read the other thread, it was about people hating on surfing and how the market is moving in that direction and that many where saying how its ruining the water etc etc. all i said was that people make too big of a deal about all of it and should respect each other and all share the water. then justin made a point to explain how "he was glad it would purify the sport" and make a big deal out of it.

i am not hating on anyone. Its becoming redic that people want special treatment for there activity. Thats what it was all about. Ask Justin why is started this thread, he must had been upset enough to do it, all because i made a statement that too many "wake boarders" feel entitled and make a big deal out of nothing.

go read the thread
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-23-2014, 3:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Doug, I did not write this for you. You are a hobbyist, a pedestrian, an outsider. "I wrote this for wakeboarders."

John was more than polite and patient with you by saying that you don't get it. You need to leave this discussion and go post in a "Check out the size of my boat, wake, tow-vehicle, wiener" thread.
Still laughing...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-23-2014, 3:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
go read the thread
Why would you say that wakeboarding is not a sport? It fits the definition in every way. Can you even come up with anything that would substantiate that viewpoint? Because it's pretty easy to give the reasons why it is a sport. Did you come here because Justin personally offended you in the other thread?
Old     (revolutionwake)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-23-2014, 3:13 PM Reply   
Awesome post. And you're right about the "new guys from odd places (not orlando) doing things we can't even imagine..." It's great that wakeboarding has evolved into a sport where everyone has an opportunity to try it and get good at it. When you fight to get crew of riders to go out in the bush for a weekend winch trip in our short summers that takes all of friday night to scope, most of saturday to set up, and a good portion of sunday to tear down... that's a lifestyle. We'll do anything to wakeboard with our friends and push each other to progress. Who ever thought that Winnipeg, MB, a Canadian city with only 4 months of appropriate weather to wakeboard, would produce some of the most passionate wakeboarders around. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you need to see this short video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTghAVSMyCk
and this film trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCBjcAooImg
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-23-2014, 4:05 PM Reply   
john, only a small few, and i mean small few, regard it as anything more than an activity thats fun to participate in when boating. most people don't take it to the limit nor care, most just enjoy it as a pastime. Just like surfing, just like tubing etc etc. There are no judges, no runs, just goofing off with friends. because a select few make it out to be more that it is, there has become a fight to who should and should not be out enjoying the water. unfortunately its a small group of people who think they deserve the right to bash anyone who does not take it as seriously as they do. I sit on my dock and watch it every weekend.

If 99% of the boater on the water and the majority of the general population who go out on boats (not even own them) look at boarding or surfing on a recreational lake on a saturday morning are not looking at boarding (surfing etc) as a sport, its not a competition, you are not competing in anything, its for fun. Why is that so hard for people to accept and let others enjoy there hobby.

As for going to a competition and to compete. I would wager there are very few, if a handful that do. So, coming from someone who wake boards, surfs etc and loves boating, it becomes annoying when people bitch about how the industry is going in the wrong direction, that boat builders are focused on surfing, that surfing or tubing is lame , these are the people who make it difficult to enjoy it. They run there mouths, cause problems with other boaters, think there Sh@t don't stink and heighten the awareness of the how a small few ruin it for everyone. I see it every weekend.

Justin did not offend me, i could not care less. he decided to make the thread, i just happen to read it and respond. He chose to take the conversation outside of the original thread and i chose to follow
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-23-2014, 4:47 PM Reply   
Doug, I get that you think you haven't done anything wrong and think you are being respectful. You just seem to misunderstand the point of this thread and how it relates to the other one. That thread simply served as a spark for Justin to voice his stoke on wakeboarding and being a wakeboarder, and he thought it needed to be said in its own thread. If I were to guess, probably based not only on that thread, but the general decline in the wakeboarding stoke and lifestyle (compare the scene of 2002 to today). This thread now has NOTHING to do with the surfing thread. We are talking about how much we like being wakeboarders and like wakeboarding. Please stop posting about sharing the water or surfing. They have nothing to do with this thread.

Here's a comically terrible analogy: Imagine if you saw a guy with red hair in a striped shirt today and it made you think of Ronald McDonald...then you remembered how much you love mcdonalds....so you started talking about how good big macs and mcflurrys are while watching TV with your friends that night...they agree and you have a great conversation about it and go buy some McDs. That redhead you saw earlier has nothing to do with anything anymore, let it go.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-23-2014, 5:34 PM Reply   
Sorry Doug, but you didn't answer the question about why you claim it is not a sport. You answered why you don't consider it a sport, but that isn't what I asked. Wakeboarding is a sport... period. It fits all the criteria. It doesn't matter how many compete, and plenty do. Even trying to make a distinction regarding whether various individuals compete or not doesn't change the fact that it's a sport.

You can't just define words to mean whatever you want. I suppose you could question people as if to whether they ever compete or not. Then say it's not a sport the way they do it if they don't compete. But the bottom line is that your claims fit the definition of trolling. Making inflammatory obviously fallacious claims with the sole intent to create controversy.

Also... I don't know if there are any wakesurfing competitions yet. I imagine there are. And if there aren't I bet they will be coming soon. So if wakesurfing isn't yet considered a sport it's just a matter of time until it is. Probably not tubing. I've never heard of any tubing moves that people are aspiring to learn. Pretty sure many competitions are done on "recreational lakes". I think my local "recreational center" even has baseball fields, basketball courts, and tennis courts. Do you tell someone going out to shoot hoops that basketball isn't a sport?

Last edited by fly135; 09-23-2014 at 5:40 PM.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-23-2014, 6:46 PM Reply   
ok, my bad, it a sport by your definition, i will accept that, so is RC car racing by definition

here are a list of of others
rhttp://cdn.list25.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/extremeironing.gif
obscure sports, top 25 here are a few

my favorite, is extreme ironing, look on a wakeboard,
bunny jumping
cheese rolling,
underwater hockey, must be a sport, happens in water
bog snorkeling, again another water sport
cardboard tube dueling
toe wrestling
kite tubing, is a sport, it made top 25 obscure sports, even I am totally amazed,

so i stand to be corrected, i apologize, i am wrong, please accept my apology and before i make a generalized statement regarding my opinion as to what a sport is and is not i will do more research. what some may consider a sport, may not be what others do. sorry
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-23-2014, 6:52 PM Reply   
By definition.

A Game is something you can do with a beer in your hand..

A Sport is something you cannot do with a beer in your hand.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-23-2014, 6:59 PM Reply   
pic
Attached Images

Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-23-2014, 9:06 PM Reply   
For as much as i wanted to disagree with doug, because i know what riding means to me, i think he has a point. The skatepark analogy is flawed. But i go back to a quote from scott bouchard in an alliance mag i happened to get--it's the new one. The question was, what do you see as wakeboarding's biggest hurdle to breaking out into the action sports realm? His answer? "until wakeboarding can create a lifestyle, it's hard to get to that next level. We're in an industry where too many of the companies' managers and owners don't even ride anymore."

Long story short, i totally agree, and i see the greatest potential coming from wakeskating. Growth seems small but steady, and it takes a certain kind of rider to stick with it and progrss, instead of migrating to the wakesurfer. Look at the brands: every small brand in wakeskating is run by a guy or gal who rides what they're building. Wakeboarding doesn't have that. Riders also started a tour that wakeboarders wish they had (and the riders also built the majority of their own set ups--reed hansen, ben horan and nick taylor), and riders also drive the media in the industry with sites like thewakeskatemag.com and wesubsist.com. Again, i think wakeboarding has kind of lost that voice...or it's just changed a lot and now that voice is kind of boring.

So yeah, if anyone has built a lifestyle, or is heading in the best direction, it's wakeskating...
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-24-2014, 7:33 AM Reply   
Electricsnow, I've always respected the sense of community among wake skaters (and got a kick out of their passionate fights online). Wakeskating is not my thing, but years ago I took several boards to the shins goofing around doing FS shoves and I know it takes some commitment.

No doubt that wakeboarding has lost a lot of its focus, but there has never been a better time to get back on track. I think us old-guys need to continue to push ourselves on the water and encourage the young guys with the springy legs and fire in their belly to go to the next level. We really need to give up the fight over the industry $$. The businessmen are always going to be after what is popular--and popular is usually quite ordinary.

Tomorrow AM, I am going to start the Challenge thread (heck if wake skaters want to join that is cool too). Start thinking about your commitments and be ready to report next week.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-24-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
ok, my bad, it a sport by your definition, i will accept that, so is RC car racing by definition
Not really "by my definition" anymore than the sky is blue by my definition. I'll give you an example... RC racing is not a sport because it doesn't involve any physical exertion. Now I suppose you will counter that you get exerted working your joystick. But I would counter that we are talking about RC racing.

The reasons why wakeboarding is a sport are obvious. I was trying to get you to state a reason why it's not. The only thing I got back was apparently you don't know anyone who ever competed in the sport. Around my neck of the woods people competing in tournaments is pretty normal.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-24-2014, 8:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
john, only a small few, and i mean small few, regard it as anything more than an activity thats fun to participate in when boating. most people don't take it to the limit nor care, most just enjoy it as a pastime. Just like surfing, just like tubing etc etc. There are no judges, no runs, just goofing off with friends. because a select few make it out to be more that it is, there has become a fight to who should and should not be out enjoying the water. unfortunately its a small group of people who think they deserve the right to bash anyone who does not take it as seriously as they do. I sit on my dock and watch it every weekend.
That's not what this thread is about. Nobody thinks we are entitled to anything. This thread speaks to me. I cannot ride as much as I used to because I live away from water and boats - but when I do get to ride, even behind an IO without extended pylon its the best feeling. I talk to "bros" who yap all "yea we ride the slammed out G21" and I laugh and tell them about riding behind this rickety IO this summer. Them: "sh*t man, not even worth it, I wouldn't even ride". I'm not even good, intermediate. I am better than them and they are better than riding behind anything. To me, that's what this thread is about. The passion. It's not about who what where how you ride, it's the ride.

When I get home to boats where I am from, I drop off the radar. People ask what I did and I tell them, "I woke up, wakeboarded. Then I took a break and lunch hung out with some friends and had some beers, waterskied while the water was choppy and then we took a few evening sets when my other buddy got off work and brought out his wakesetter. Then I was so tired I fell asleep at 845, woke up and did it again". To the recreationalist, this sounds boring. To me, I've got horse blinders on, it's the only way I see life when I am near the water. I don't think I am entitled to the lake, smooth water, none of that but I am going hard and having more fun than anyone else.

Quote:
If 99% of the boater on the water and the majority of the general population who go out on boats (not even own them) look at boarding or surfing on a recreational lake on a saturday morning are not looking at boarding (surfing etc) as a sport, its not a competition, you are not competing in anything, its for fun. Why is that so hard for people to accept and let others enjoy there hobby.
I don't care if a recreationalist sees me and doesn't care or know that I am pursuing a passion and lifestyle. I don't get mad when they don't share the same gusto for life as me. I share my passion with anyone who is interested. More often than not, those people who I have been able to share my passion with, wind up on the lake more, buying ski boats and taking up watersports with a greater interest level than "yea I do that every other weekend just to do". In highschool the lake wasn't cool. I was able to infect a few with the passion and then they spread it and now there is a new crew on the lake.

Once again, I don't think this thread is about that. Live and let live. I don't get mad at the fisherman who gets mad at me for wrecking his smooth fishing water. I do tell him there are some sick walleye in front of my dock though, if he wants to actually go catch fish instead of fishing the dead spot he's fishing.

Quote:
As for going to a competition and to compete. I would wager there are very few, if a handful that do. So, coming from someone who wake boards, surfs etc and loves boating, it becomes annoying when people bitch about how the industry is going in the wrong direction, that boat builders are focused on surfing, that surfing or tubing is lame , these are the people who make it difficult to enjoy it. They run there mouths, cause problems with other boaters, think there Sh@t don't stink and heighten the awareness of the how a small few ruin it for everyone. I see it every weekend.

Justin did not offend me, i could not care less. he decided to make the thread, i just happen to read it and respond. He chose to take the conversation outside of the original thread and i chose to follow
Thread isn't about passion and competition or being better than others or more entitled... There are few who pursue wakeboarding as a lifestyle and fewer who compete. I have never seen what you speak of. I have seen others get riled up by the ignorant behavior of other boaters. I have grown to be a more live and let live type, unless you are directly endangering me or my friends/family behind the boat. Then you will get an earful.

No entitlement or opinion on the direction of the sport other than I generally don't like large corporations and ownership groups driving prices up for the purpose of maximizing profits. Expensive boats, maximizing shareholder gains - I like the by riders for riders style and for that reason will support those companies who are rider owned and will never own a new boat - and I don't think I'll ever be able to afford one, but that's okay. I love the older smaller simpler tow boats. An old VLX feels big to me, and that's how it will always be.

Last edited by wakebordr11; 09-24-2014 at 8:34 AM.
Old     (twowakes)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-24-2014, 11:19 AM Reply   
Wow. At the beginning of this thread I was stoked to read how others have the same love and passion for this sport and lifestyle as me.
Now it seams like it has been reduced to everyone having to justify themselves.
Spread the stoke, don't kill it.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-24-2014, 11:43 AM Reply   
I dropped reading this thread about 1/3 the way down. People arguing over the definitions of "sport" and "hobbies" is a snoozer for me. You guys realize that part of the problem is "everyone having to justify themselves"? It's a free country, you can think & state whatever you want to. Defending further what you state when questioned is a choice.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-24-2014, 12:57 PM Reply   
^^ This. This is ultimately the downfall of our sport/hobby. I come to this site everyday, multiple times a day to read the threads and see what others have done to their boats or the new tricks they are learning. Now it's seems all of the DIY is dead and replaced with G this and G that and anything less is garbage. This site was and still is a good source of knowledge as to what can be done with the boats or help you work through landing a new trick. What really gets me is how everything in this site seems to be a pissing contest of who has the best board, boat, speakers....whatever and will do their best to prove everyone else wrong. Now, these threads barely change day to day and any new threads aren't even really worth reading. All we do is talk about foam in boats or how one boat has a better fit and finish where none of these boats are really garbage by any stretch of the imagination. I've always had the stoke and after +20 years was finally able to get the boat I have dreamed about having (not brand specific, just a vdrive that put up a nice wake for boarding and surfing). I'm the one that is constantly calling my friends to go out as I'm the only one with a boat and I'm the one teaching all the new people how to ride or surf. That alone gives me the stoke to continue. Having my 2 1/2 year old out for the first time surfing with me has been the best thing ever and I love the fact that I will raise him to enjoy the lifestyle as well. If he turns out to be like half of the people on this site I will slap the Sh#t out of him and he won't go out on the boat or ever get to take it once he's older. Being out on a boat or being able to afford one is a privilege. More people need to realize that whether you bought it or daddy. If daddy bought it you better be doing everything you can to keep it clean and maintain it, not just put gas in it.
I used to be "core" and yell at tubers for wrecking water and this and that but now (being mature) I just move to a new spot and if I feel like going for a surf first thing in the morning instead of wakeboarding then I will. Grow the F up already!!!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-24-2014, 2:15 PM Reply   
Right on both Justin and Doug - good reads. I like both posts and both make interesting and valid points.

I liked the original post because I understand the passion for being behind the boat. I have made boating and waterfront living a priority in my lifestyle for many, many years. I do not care to pull a tube or wake surfer but it happens all the time because everybody has their own ability and thing so I indulge the passion and reserve my judgement on the less skilled activities. I was once them.

I also loved Doug's post because I agree with a his statements, understand the racing comparison, and I don't see it as a disrespectful or a buzz kill. This happens as thread evolves into the bickering stage.

I recently have taken up Motorcross with my 7 year old son who wanted to race. He also has pushed me to race and I love it just as much as being on the water. However, as an old new guy to the hobby at 50 years old, I love the fact that I can ride a track, divided among skill levels, with everybody enjoying the scene and helping each other regardless of talent. In my many years of competing on the water in both college and later on at the local ski club I have noticed that the talented skiers have always wanted the lake and boat to themselves.

This tread reeks of those experiences and I wish it was more like my MX experiences.

Maybe I am slipping because I just dropped my subscription to Wakeboarding. I got tired of the same old faces tagged with the same old sponsors in an continuous effort self promotion. To me its "those" people who have made it a lifestyle and not a hobby.
Old     (Blueliner)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-25-2014, 9:27 AM Reply   
The dedication of those who take their lifestyle or sport very seriously make it possible for regular recreational guys like me to enjoy the improvements in technique, equipment and so on. My sons and I watch your video tutorials, your crazy cool stunts, and get lessons by one of you. Keep up the good work, we are paying attention.

Blueliner
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-22-2014, 1:08 AM Reply   
After reading about 3/4 of this thread I think I'll chime in.

It seems that Doug's main point is some people take wake boarding too seriously and elevated it to something beyond what it actually is, thus taking away from the experience of others. Now I will try not to get into what wake boarding actually is or is not but let me share my experiences.

I wakeboarded pretty seriously for about 10 years. I ate, breathed and **** it during the summer. I was probably one that would claim it could be a lifestyle. I did contests, learned tricks, destroyed my body, filmed and met some amazing people. I haven't wakeboarded for 3 years now. Looking back my favorite memories were spending time with my friends and family in the boat and meeting some of my favorite people in the world.

There's that cheesy saying "is about the journey not the destination". Well my view of wakeboarding is kind of similar, it's not about the activity/sport/hobbie/lifestyle but about the friends and family you enjoy it with. So don't be the guy that gets so caught up in wakeboarding that you ruin watersports for others.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go surfing, in the ocean, on actual waves. It's not fun. Dont try it. The ocean is full of scary things like sharks and radiation and you will die.