Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-08-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
I've been wakeboarding cable for years and have only ridden behind a boat 2 times and really enjoyed it. Some buddies of mine went up to Lake Lewisville in Dallas for 4th of July at party cove. It was like nothing I've ever experienced before. Absolutely amazing. Ever since I've been thinking about getting my own boat, but I always here people complain about boats being a black hole of money. After buying the boat is really that expensive to maintain? I could definitely afford something like this by next summer. Probably wouldn't throw a huge wake but would get me on the water. I also here the guy with the boat is the guy with the girls -I like that. I really just want to know how true the money pit thing about boats is.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/713725.html?1247093796
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-08-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
A well taken care of boat is not expensive to maintain at all. Gas, seasonal maintenance and insurance is- knock on wood about it. This might sound outrageous to you but at times its difficult to find a couple people to go out to ride. It's frustrating, cause you buy the boat so you can use it whenever you want, but it does'nt always work out that way.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-08-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
I wouldn't underestimate that boat or similar one's for their wake making capabilites. Crap, you could probably find a 1982-1989 nautique for 4-8k and have a very nice wake. Don't let the new boats fool you. They are basically big family boats that also make a wakeboard wake. You need 2k+ pounds to get a really good wake out of those even. Old Nautique Super Sports, 82-89 nautiques, mid 90's MC prostar 205's, mid 90's malibu sunsetters, early-mid 90's sport nautiques, late 80's-mid 90's supra sunsports, mid 90's sanger DLX's and late 90's Sanger V210's all make very respectable wakes that you would be happy with. Most of those listed also don't need a of weight to make a good wake.

Also, if the boat is maintained right and you learn how to do it yourself you shouldn't have to spend more than a couple hundred bucks a year. Get some good cleaners to keep the vinyl and gelcoat in good condition. Also make your friends follow rules to keep the boat in good cosmetic shape.

(Message edited by polarbill on July 08, 2009)
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-08-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
boat....a hole in the water you throw money into
b.o.a.t....Bust Out Another Thousand

can't think of any others right now

there are good times and there are bad times. if you DIY it, it's not too bad.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-08-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
The old cliche of Bring Out Another Thousand being the definition of BOAT is where this comes from. It's always interesting to have actual conversations with people who believe it. My neighbor picked up a 95 PS205. He knew it was a descent boat since I had one right next door. At the time his kids were like 3 & 5 yrs old. We'd go out & ride & come back home & he had funny disclaimers about how he wasn't using his boat because it was nothing but an expensive dock with his kids out there (and thats a bad thing?). Now he says things about his kids almost being old enough to get out & learn how to ski (their like 5 & 7 now). I would think they would love to be out on the boat with the kids, swimming, tubing, riding with dad on his board or foil, etc.

The boat never made it out at all last year. This spring he put it in the water without properly summerizing it & it had several leaks in the engine. Dried up hoses that cracked, bad impeller, dry rotted cover, etc. $1000 later & his boat is out on the lake. And now he comments on how much he's spent per hour of actual use. I haven't said it yet, but I wonder what he expects....... free boat when you don't take care of it & don't use it at all??

Uh, no. Hell no. They aren't cheap. But it's time spent on the lake with friends & family that is basically the best times of our lives. We travel to a variety of lakes & rivers in the NW & get together with tons of other riders. Can't do that on a cable.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-08-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
For me, gas is the largest expense, then storage. You will always have something you want to purchase... more weight, new stereo, more speakers, prop repair, new prop, new anchor etc. This is the stuff that adds up, seems like every month we are buying something else.

Like bill said, time spent on the lake with family and friends is well worth the cost...
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-08-2009, 5:07 PM Reply   
I just bought my 24SSV and prior to it I had an old runabout I paid $1000 bucks for. My lil runabout has treated me great and basically the only expense was gas, I did self repair on small things, as well as self winterization. I've put just over $100 in on servicing already on the Supra, just to make sure everything is good to go. If you keep things serviced and up to date, they aren't a huge $$$$ pit, just a small one.
Old     (lakepirate)      Join Date: May 2007       07-09-2009, 2:40 AM Reply   
Here's something that donned on me recently- I too have heard all that stuff: bring out another thousand, hole in the water, happiest day in a boat owner's life, blah blah blah. Basically that overall negative attitude towards boat ownership that we all seem to encounter (and at times, might possibly say or think as boat owners). BUT, I tell you one thing that you will never ever ever hear: "yeah, so I went to the lake today, got to hang out with some good buddies, got our drink on, caught a nice buzz, had some fine ass honeys chillin with us, and it SUCKED". You'll never hear it, and that's the thing. Hanging out at the lake is the bomb, but you need a boat to do it.

With that said, and as a relatively newer boat owner, I say go for it. Just make sure you get it thoroughly checked out before, keep up with the routine maintenance, and be smart about things. It's like anything else, it's usually only as hard as you make it.

Good luck bro
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-09-2009, 4:47 AM Reply   
here is how the expenses have been for me (whether it is a lot of $$$ is all in the eyes of the beholder) - i normally end up throwing about $1k/year into it for repairs/upgrades. $650/year for insurance, $3k/year for gas. included in my repairs cost if the fact that i find myself buying tools that i normally wouldn't buy if i didn't have a boat...like a Dewalt Polisher.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2009, 5:30 AM Reply   
Boats are stupid expensive... When I was looking for mine it was all about finding the right price to get the payment right. I realize now the payment is the cheap part. Gas, maintenance, service (if you can't DIY, and there will be certain things you can't DIY). Then when you start upgrading the stereo and other stuff it can get out of control. But hey what are you gonna do...not go boating???
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-09-2009, 5:54 AM Reply   
I do agree with Aaron, the payment is a drop in the bucket compared to gas.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
Doesn't matter how expensive a boat is I will always have on. The enjoyment and time out on the water far outway the cost of ownership. They do cost money but I have been fortunate to grow up having a boat in my family and have been able to expose all my friends to the boating world and everyone loves it. You definetely have to pay to play in this sport.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-09-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
Maybe I have had good luck, but except for my first boat, I do not have many repairs. The biggest stuff has been a starter. Here the knocks on wood. I like to buy boats 2-4 years old and usually keep them for 3-5 years. They are new enough that things are pretty fresh, but the kinks have been worked out, and when I sell they are worth pretty close to what I paid for them. Last boat I paid $20K and sold for 19K. I started off with an older boat, maybe 12 years old when I bought it, and that one cost me $500-$1000 in repairs every year and though you get an older one cheaper up front, they can cost you more when you look at the total cost of ownership.

The gas situation will depend on your crew and how lax or strict you are about getting money. Some weeks I'm ahead with gas money, some weeks I'm behind. Just depends whos riding and how much weight we throw in.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-09-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
Its not a cheap investment, especially if you let it sit in your garage like many owners end up doing. If I could only take my boat out on weekends I probably would not even own one. The lakes in California are over populated and dangerous on weekends. Trying to teach people to wakeboard, surf, etc.. in rough water is no fun for anyone. Then you have the 80k boats that tow tubes around all weekend. The Delta is a little better, but you have to deal with dirty water, debris, and sand bars in the middle of a canal.

To properly maintain a boat, pay for insurance, fuel, upkeep, etc... can add up. Not to mention purchasing all the gear necessary to go out on the water. If you want to play, you have to pay :-) definitely lots of fun, and a great family activity.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-09-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
boat = fun and worth the $ if used often
boat = money pit if never or barley used
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-09-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
well it looks like I'll have to pay because I definitely want to play! I've wanted a boat ever since I experienced the 4th at Lake Lewisville and got to ride behind a boat with a real wake...
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-09-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
There are really two types of boat owners... those who regularly use their boat throughout their ownership and those who use it a lot in the begining and then just on occasion from then on out. It's the latter who claim the phrase "bring out another thousand".

That's because a boat that sits and gets neglected deteriorates quickly and ends up needing costly repairs. Unfortunately, you will never know which category you will fall into until you own a boat. Sadly, the majority of people who buy a boat will fall into the "balls out the first year and once in a while from then on out" category. The reality is that most of us decided to get into boating much like you are after having had a great time on the water with a friend who owns a boat. Shortly after boat fever sets in.

That's how it happened for me 8 years ago. I'm now on my 4th boat, although I've owned my current boat for the last 4 years. The only major repairs I've had were self inflicted (hitting a stump). Aside from that my boat is in great shape and hasn't needed anything more than regular fluid changes.

(Message edited by nauty on July 09, 2009)
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-09-2009, 2:44 PM Reply   
Boats are awesome. I will probably have one for the rest of my life.

Old boats can be tempermental. An old boat is better than no boat. If you get a boat with issues, it can be really expensive. Or, if you fix everything yourself, they can burn a ton of your time.

The longer you own a boat, the more stuff you will be albe to fix and trouble shoot. IE - battery connections, belts, pumps, starter fluid, etc. Some super easy fixes will ruin a weekend for someone who doesn't know the super easy fix.

Some boats run a long time with no issues. Some boats get to a point where it is just one thing after another.

I have had good boats and bad boats. I try to keep newer boats now that I can afford it, because the odds for issues is much less. A bad boat can be broken pretty much all summer, if you have to rely on a busy mechanic to fix it.

I think boats get a bad wrap, because people are more into them. When they fail, they can really dissappoint you.

All week you look forward to an awesome weekend on your boat - when you go to use it your boat won't start and you spend all weekend trying to fix your boat instead of partying and riding. It is super frustrating. You can't find anyone to help you, the dealers all have a 3 week wait, etc. And you are thinking about the people in the pics above, while you are cutting up your hands trying to undo bolts in your engine.

Car issues are not as big of a deal. There are tons of places that will fix your car any time. Plus, when your car breaks you just get a ride with someone else.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-09-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
"That's a beautiful boat! I wish I had the money right now...still saving!"

Smart man. Buy a well cared for, well maintained boat and you're going to have a blast with moderate ongoing expenses.

Also, pick up a manual or two and grab a wrench. The "Break Out Another Thousand" phrase IMO applies to those who drop it off at the dealership and bust out the checkbook when its ready 4 weeks later. If you can use basic tools, its no more complicated than working on your lawn mower. Ok, maybe a little, but NOT MUCH.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-09-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
well I change pistons in my CR250 quite a bit...does that count? lol

I don't think I'd get sick of having a boat. I learned to wakeboard on cable 5 years ago and still go 3-4 times a week. Would ride boat more if I had the opportunity
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-09-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
Just noticed the aluminum Miller light bottle with screw on lid in the bottom pic. That looks awesome.

You guys are spoiled down TX. That "technology" hasn't made it to WA yet.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-09-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
Ha Im on Lewisville Lake 3-4 times a week. Crazy lake with some decent riding coves.

There is something about party cove where all girls lose their inhibitions.

(Message edited by Pierce Bronkite on July 09, 2009)
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
I have never not owned a boat since 1979, and I can't imagine life without one.
You can't even begin to try and put a price tag on the good times, smiles and memories boats provide for a family.
Old     (aaudii5150)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-09-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
Step to the pump and buy one! For me the saddest day was when I sold one that I loved.... I've now owned 4 different boats in the past 6 years or so. Some needed work and other didn't. If it breaks, fix it and HAVE FUN!
My .02 is start small(cheaper) and work your way up. If you can't afford to keep it up or you don't use it then it's not for you. For me the biggest outside costs have been ice, beer and gas. I've only had to make one major repair on any of them and it was the oldest boat($1200). Don't get me wrong they will all need something, be it wants or needs.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-09-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
well how old is too old? and how many hours are too many?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
That is kind of a tough thing with boats. I would rather have a really well taken care of well used boat with 700 hours than the same year boat with 100 hours but has been neglected. In some cases it is really easy to see this and in other it is not. Before they started putting crazy digital LCD gauges and electronics in boats they were very simple. A 5.7L chevy engine should last 2000+ hours if it hasn't been used to hard and regular maintenance has been performed.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-10-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
I would stay away from boats with wood stringers / floors / transom as that can turn into a major structural issue. Most inboards went to all composite around '98 save Tige which went that direction a few years later. 2000 hours on a boat is where you start thinking about major tranny / engine work, but of course that is all dependent on the maintenance. If you can hold off for a month or two owners will get more aggressive with pricing after labor day.

More than brand, I would look for a boat that has EFI and v-drive. Everything else being equal a carbuerated MC will be less reliable than an EFI MB for example. Everything else to make a boat a wakeboat can be easily added with aftermarket components, but you can't really change out the drive type or engine without some major know how and dollars.