Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (spencer3840)      Join Date: May 2005       05-15-2005, 12:50 PM Reply   
I read that a lot of people think Tower lights have 2 much glare from the bow of the boat for usage for driving. I see that they make bow lights you can install, what do you guys think of these? how far do they project on the water? How much do they cost and where do I get them? thanks guys.
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-16-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
We've got docking lights on our Supra, but I wouldn't say you can see far. I would think tower lights would give a better angle of light. But what do I know my tower lights aren't done yet.
Old    deltahoosier            05-16-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
The bow lights do not do me any good. They basically point down too much and the tower lights are too bright on the front of the boat. Remember, most tower lights are flood lights. They are for docking after dark. You may be able to put in spots on top and them mask so light does not hit the front of the boat
Old     (spencer3840)      Join Date: May 2005       05-16-2005, 12:17 PM Reply   
So what do you guys reccomend. We usually ride up to dark. R drive back is my concern in the dark. I need light where I can see where Im going.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-16-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
A handheld spotlight works good for navigation, with a bow mount spot being the best. Tower lights are not good for navigation, just docking and looking good!

The lights on the sides of the boat in the front are just docking lites and dont help for navigation.

If you want to navigate then your looking for a searchlight, they are normally remote control - and expensive, like $5-800. Found one for $250 at http://store.tackletogo.com/acrrcrecose.html
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
have you ever been out after dark in your boat? there is not really much you can do to light up things, docking lights like what are on the front of boats are just that docking lights. almost any kind of lights is just going to make a huge glare, and impare you farthee. I think you are better off with just moonlight and a spot light to occassianally check things out. if you don't know your lake well enough to get around at night without a light, you shouldn't be out there to begin with.
Old     (finbar)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-16-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
I agree, lights of any sort just screw up your night vision especially if you are running at speed. A spot light can be useful for picking up hazards at low speeds or when approaching a dock albeit you might PO anyone else at the dock. From past (bad) experience though I agree with Ryan ie if you don't know the water well avoid coming back after dark !
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
Also docking and tower lights or any type of constant head light is illegal in most states
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-17-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
Neither. As Monster said hand held spot. I have the docking lights, they are pretty useless.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-17-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
Ryan is correct about the constant head lights. I got a ticket on Lake Travis when I first got my X for running with my towers on because it blinds people coming towards you and blocks the red/green bow light so other boats can navigate.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-18-2005, 3:27 PM Reply   
AN/PVS-5 is the best answer to all night time operating needs.

Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-18-2005, 4:02 PM Reply   
Deez,

I agree with the comments above about the docking lights being useless BUT I have used them around the dock and plan on using them several times this summer navigating the shallow waters and tree stumps around the dock near our river retreat at night. My docking lights do an excellent job of lighting up the water and area immediately ahead of the boat.
Old     (spencer3840)      Join Date: May 2005       05-18-2005, 10:59 PM Reply   
thanks guys this helps a lot. I guess Im going to screw spending the extra money on tower lights. My dock is lighted so I don't need them for docking. I know my channel real well so I guess I will keep on doing what I've done for years. Just thought it would be nice to have lights to look out for floating objects that don't belong in the channel.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-19-2005, 6:47 AM Reply   
I use a spotlight. Most cruisers use a spot so they must know something. The spot allows me to cruise at 25 or so at night where if i didnt have it i would have to slow down considerably to see the bouys coming up and make heading changes as the intracoastal winds left and right quite a bit, glad i dont drive a barge :-)