Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (timsown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-10-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - It's a fish tale that packs a wallop so strong it broke the jaw of a southeastern Arkansas teen and covered him in fish blood and guts.

Seth Russell, 15, of Crossett was cruising Lake Chicot on a large inner tube towed by a boat when a Silver Asian carp leaped from the water and smacked him in the face. Seth was knocked unconscious.

"He doesn't remember anything at all," said the boy's mother, Linda Russell. "He was laughing, and the next thing he remembers, he is waking in a hospital."

The teen has had oral surgery to wire several teeth together and has back pain that doctors attribute to whiplash from the high-speed collision, his mother said.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-10-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
That is crazy, but maybe not an argument to avoid tubing (as if any of us need another one :-)) If he had been wakeboarding instead, the fish might have hit him in the 'jimmies'.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-10-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
And that would have been better how?If it jacked his head that bad how do you think the "jimmies" would have taken the hit? LOL
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-10-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
that is possibly the funniest shiat i have ever heard, talk about bad karma. He was probably one of those kids who tortured fish when he caught them when he was young haha.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
HAHAHA!! that sux.
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-10-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
Probably the funniest thing I have EVER read!! HAHA!!
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-10-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
HAHA the jimmies, wow thats great.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-10-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
I think it was like Twitch said Karma,I thought "jimmies"was great too,I had to use it.Seriously though I hope those fish don't get into any lakes I ride in.They are crazy the way they jump when agitated and they get huge.It would really suck getting smacked in the "jimmies" by 1 of those monsters.Especially going 20+mph LOL
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-10-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
Loren - I agree. Not the best argument for people to stop tubing. Could happen to anyone riding anything behind a boat. Or jetski at that too.

But still, funny as hell!!!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-10-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
Jay, that is what I meant. If you argue, "Don't go tubing, you'll get hit in the head by a fish", I would say, "much better in the head than the previously mentioned 'jimmmies'."
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-10-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Dang Jamie, everytime I see your profile pic I'm jealous...such huge air. Is your foot healed yet? I supposed riding is about done up there in the great 'freeze your jimmies in October' Northwest :-)
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
If the fish died, he was saving the environment though, asian carp is an invasive species. Funny story though.
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-10-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
This would NOT be news in Illinois. People get hit every weekend by asian carp on the illinois river. funny story about karma though: (related to carp, dont worry)

My friend, 15 at the time, was sitting in a tube on a rough day just hangin out. My brother, a cracker, thought it would be funny to "make a waterfall" in this friends general direction. so my brother started to make number one off the transom and out of nowhere, got hit by an asian that was at least 30-35 pounds. It knocked the piss right out of him.

Moral of this story: Don't pee on your friends, otherwise a 30 pound carp will hit you in the chest!
Old     (breakthewake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-10-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
Redneck Fishing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGWiaqGjQaU

Even better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwMSy7xK218&feature=related
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-10-2008, 9:33 PM Reply   
Wow, that really is redneck. If anyone has seen the Vault Energy Drink commercials, wakeboarding in these conditions would be prime.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-10-2008, 10:39 PM Reply   
Got ya Loren LOL
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-11-2008, 4:12 AM Reply   
A few years ago my daughter's friend went tubing with another friend. They were out on the tubes screaming and carrying on when one girl looked over and the other one had a fish head stuck in her mouth! I guess it just got popped up out of the water and some how landed in her mouth.

Needless to say, the girl hasn't gone tubing since.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-11-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
GOOD CALL WES!!!!!!!!!!!11 ahahahahahah
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-11-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
That video is just plain wrong...the fish were simply exploding out of the water...have any of you actually witnessed this phenomenon? I would be straight up scared to wakeboard on water like that.
Old     (greers_ferry_boats)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-11-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
When I lived in Memphis we used to wakeboard in a cove in downtown Memphis off the Mississippi River and there were these jumping carp in there. They only seemed to do it when the boat was slowing down or taking off though. Anyway it was always comical and we did have one jump in my buddies boat and that freaked us out because we didn't see it coming.
Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
HA! We've been to Chicot a lot but have never been hit...we have seen them do it tho. I used to bowfish alot and we saw alot more then in the backwaters off the Mississippi....we had one guy get hit in the chest by about a 20-30 pounder...knocked the breath outta him, lol!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-11-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7zkTnQVaM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChwJiKKBdA&feature=related

(Message edited by rallyart on September 11, 2008)
Old     (blaydeman)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-11-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
too bad it wasnt tuna...