Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-25-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
Has their been any changes or updates to the binding itself? I bought a setup in June and i really liked the set up when they werent coming undone.

I purchased the new HL System binding and boots at the pro tour at Txmc over the summer and the binding set up was weak from the beginning but got worse as the summer progressed. No matter how i set them up the teeth in the toe and heel strap would come lose one or two teeth at a time from either launching off the wake into an invert or hard off balance landings which it did consistently. It became dangerous and i stopped riding them in September and need them replaced.

I heard there may have been some upgrades or improvements, is this true? Im hoping the pro shop where i bought them will sep up and do aswap over the counter without a bunch of red tape but wanted some feedback first..

the set up is the l/xl biding with the Merek boots.. love the boots but the bindigs needs some improvement IMO

TIA
Old     (ClutchIndustries)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-26-2012, 5:52 AM Reply   
If you are stripping out your ladders then you have the bindings too tight, numbness or pain in the foot/toes is also a sign of the bindings being too tight, unfourtnatley once the ladders are stripped the ratchets will continue to slip. Your local dealer should have replacement ladders. As far as updates... Hyperlite updated the toe strap for better contact with the boots and the highback is also now adjustable. You have the option of it being fixed or flexable depending on your style of riding.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-27-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
thanks ross not too tight no nuimbness at all, totally comfortable ride.

however they have to be tight enough to hold and I believe that the issue, toe piece doesnt make good contact with my boot at toes and allows flex which i believe is also lifting the little area under the foot bed that supposed to lock in and soemtimes my heel will leift and push foot forward some.

so those two issues made me lose a lot of confidence in the set up and i hope to convince HL rep at the boat show in a week or two too trade me for the 2012 so i can see if they imporoved or not.

Dont get me wrong when they hold and i ride hard and not think about them they are acomfortable supportive set up but thats hasnt been the case.

IMHO I dont think the binding should be used for two sizes and 3 styles of boots because im sure the it will always fit the size up boot best and also the style with a different shoe toe made hold better as well..anyway ill update afetr the show and some tough rides on the 2012 bindings..

later
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-27-2012, 4:09 PM Reply   
This sounds like the same issues snowboard bindings had in the earlier days. Most ratchets were stripping out the ladders because the plastic was not hard enough. I used to strip the ladders out all the time and needed to keep replacements in my bag. This problem has been fixed (at least with Burton) and I haven't had any problems for years. You might be able to swap your ladder straps with a set of Burton's.

As far a customization, it took snow years to figure this out. Most companies now offer about four sizes and each model is normally adjustable from there for a perfect fit. It's too bad Hyperlite has not learned from mistakes already made.

If a company was smart, they would just make a wake boot that fit snowboard bindings.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-04-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
so they gave me new toe pieces and ladders, ladders bare easy to chage but i cant figure out how to get the old toe piece out, they dont look removable..

anybody replace the toe piece on hyperlite system bindings yet and has a trick??
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-04-2012, 6:20 PM Reply   
Yeah, just push them through the bottom of the binding and then push the little circle plastic peg out. Then it will pull out from the top