Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-14-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
Just curious to what the entire setup is...

What kind of anchor? Beach stake? Ropes & lenghts? etc.

Appreciate the help & info.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-14-2005, 2:46 PM Reply   
I use a heavy fork anchor with 6' of heavy galv. chain connected to the anchor buddy connected to a ski bouy on the front toward the waves. On the back I use 20 to 30' of rope connected to a dog screw that works in most soils, for sand use a beach stake. Use a 22' length of rope to connect the anchor buddy to the stern line when you depart your mooring, that way everything will stay put with your bouy marking where your boat goes when you return from boarding. It all goes into one duffel bag that lives in the front storage of the boat.
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-14-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
Mikeski hit it dead on!

Only edits I would add are

1) Upon departing (leaving buoy and anchor buddy in place) I just connect the beach line to the anchor buddy clip.

2) I don't have a beach stake or a doggy screw (I have a female dog, but anyway...) I either find a tree, rock, the guy who drank all my beer or just the stake that holds down the EZUP canopy to attach the beach line to.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-14-2005, 5:38 PM Reply   
I use a tie down mate from overtons for the "beach" hook up, otherwise my setup is about the same as above. I think they work great.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=37272
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-15-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
I use a box anchor with 75’ of rope; I have an anchor buddy that goes between the anchor and the 50’ mark on my rode. (If you call the people that make the anchor buddy, they will tell not use the anchor buy it self, as it can snap!)

This works very well, even when the wins pick up (make sure that you are not to close to shore)

I then use a sand spike (this will let me pull the boat closer to shore before getting in, and let the boat go out further while sitting in the cove)

Just a side note
I had a fluke anchor, and it would come loose in high winds. You might want to look at a box anchor if you go to the river, or large lakes with wind problems.
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-15-2005, 7:10 AM Reply   
David
Based on you profile picture, you got your boat from Tige Water Sports (trailer and tower are the give away)
Talk to Travis at the pro shop about the box anchor (they only sale the box, Chris will not sale any other)

Also are you going in August?

Have you ever try Castaic?

Have fun
David
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2005, 7:24 AM Reply   
I use a fluke anchor with 4' of chain attached directly to the Anchor Buddy. I have a water ski ball attached to the other end of the Anchor Buddy with a stainless snap. When coming into the beach I drive nose in to the ball, have someone hook the snap to the bow eye and let the momentum of the boat carry twords shore. The pull of the Anchor buddy swings the stern twords shore as it pulls on the on the bow eye. If I am still in deeper water I slowly back up to shore close enough that I can step off the swim platform. I attach a line to the stern, run it to shore and attach it to a Sandspike.I then let the Anchor buddy pull the boat to deeper water. This system works great. Everything is available from Sandspike.com
Old    tigejohn21i            07-15-2005, 7:36 PM Reply   
You can also get a box anchor (Slide Anchor) from http://www.slideanchor.com/ they sell the Shore Spike as well.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-16-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
Thank you all for the info, much appreciated.

David: Haven't tried Castaic yet, just haven't had the time to get over there, plus we just became co-owners of a place up at Mohave. Probably won't make the August event this year, but things sometimes change
Old    tigejohn21i            07-16-2005, 3:25 PM Reply   
Where is your place at Mohave? I just did a 5 day houseboat trip out of Cottonwood.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-16-2005, 3:30 PM Reply   
John,

Our place is in Catherine's Landing. We're planning a week there week after next.

How was your houseboat trip?
Anything/place we should check out?
Old    tigejohn21i            07-16-2005, 3:38 PM Reply   
I didn't know there were homes at Catherine's.. where abouts is your place? I've been thinking about getting a vacation place somewhere, but have been looking at Needles mostly.

As far as places to hit.. We parked our houseboat at the 28 mile marker, which is 7 miles north of Cottonwood. Big cove with sandy beaches. Makes good wakeboarding even when it's a little windy. If you launch at Catherine's though, you probably won't want to make the trek that far thru the open basin as it can get really rough when the wind hits.

There's some nice beaches and coves at the 10 mile marker which would be much closer to Catherine's.

When staying in Laughlin, I'll launch at Telephone Cove, which is a dirt launch and not as busy. You really should have 4wd tho.

John

Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-16-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
John,

Homes?
Very funny...we have a TRAILER, there is a medium size trailer park there at CL. A really nice feature is that (in the absence of a slip obviously) our place is closer to the launch than the truck/trailer parking lot. There are homes/cabins up there though. Not sure if they are strictly rentals or if you can buy/build them.

Trek up to Cottonwood way is a long one definitely. We'll definitely try the 10 mile marker area when we go. I try to get my best beginner boarding in during early am and evening times. The rest of the day pretty much belongs to our 4 year old.

dtw.
Old    tigejohn21i            07-16-2005, 4:26 PM Reply   
Hey, trailer is cool. Also, you can go out of the Marina and hang a left near the dam. There's a sandy cove over there as well.. good in the late afternoons usually. If you hit the 10 mile marker, go to the left (west) side of the lake.

I'll be up that way in a couple of weeks. If I see your boat, I'll put a shout out to ya.

Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-17-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
John,

Our dates are 7/27 thru 8/2or3. Look for us if you're there.

dtw.
Old    avdss            07-18-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
How to you retrieve the anchor at the end of the day, keep pulling on the anchor buddy until anchor comes out of water? I'm using mushroom anchor. Will this work with anchor buddy?

Thanks.
Old    sparky68            07-19-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
Hey John D., I have a mushroom anchor and am starting to hate it. Last trip out to the river was nothing but frustrations. In calm water it works great even with the anchor buddy. I am considering going to a box anchor. Only cause of some of the high winds we get into. Other then high winds that combo has worked great for us.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-19-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
I use a danforth, 8 foot chain, and Anchor Buddy. That combination in sand or silt will hold my SAN in most conditions. I use a fence post to hold the rear as I hate tripping over shore lines. (see profile pic)