Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
I had a new box built for my Sanger V215. I've been running two JBL GTi w10's all summer powered by an Exile 2500.1 and liked it but one of the subs was in a compromised location in the passenger compartment and the other was in the prefered under dash location. I wanted to achieve the same volume and sound quality as when the compartment was open so I decided to pinch them under the dash. I had a guy that works with me and a good fabricator build me a custom set up. He's very creative so I pretty much gave him a green light to come up with something fun and cool. I wanted an industrial feel to it and lighting. Here is some of the build pics and the finished product:

Its a down firing sealed enclosure which I was worried about but I love the sound, plenty loud and super clean.

Here is is before the plexy went in. He built it to 1.8 cubic feet after the subs displacement, It's lined with diamond plate that he cut out with a plasma cutter then glued and screwed in place. He painted the outer edge of the plxe to cover the raw edge:

Name:  IMG_20100818_111115.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  96.3 KB

These subs have the positive and negative terminals on the same side so he was able to run a cable through the box to lugs he built on the outside:

Name:  IMG_20100818_185052.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  78.0 KB

Here it is with the plexi on and the trim piece in place which was covered in black vinyl and allowed for ample venting:

Name:  IMG_20100819_103414.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  63.0 KB
Name:  IMG_20100819_191737.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  85.8 KB

Here are a few with the seat base and seat in place. He had to modify the seat base and a couple spots under the dash to accomidate the width of the box:

Name:  IMG_20100819_191724.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  73.5 KB
Name:  IMG_20100827_214035.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  31.3 KB
Name:  IMG_20100827_214049.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  29.7 KB
Name:  IMG_20100827_214058.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  37.4 KB

You can see the seat base is not yet trimed out. We're going to use a piece of black trim to finish off the edge and he's wanting to black out the plexi (think tail lights) which I'm not sure I want so your opinions on that are welcomed. His thought is that it will be less noticable when you look in the boat. All in all I like it a lot and again am very happy with the sound quality and resonance. I was concerened with the down firing not equating to the one sub under dash and the other in the compartment when it was open but these definitly exceeds that. As did the cost!!!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-07-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
Hate,
I like it! Its one of a kind. And it appears you've got plenty of elevation between the subs and the sole so that the output isn't choked. How are the wires passing through the enclosure wall?

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
David, it was against what you had told me...through the wall. It is sealed as of now, I checked it per your suggestion and intend to keep an eye on it. He used a putty, seal and some deadening material before attaching the lugs. Yeah he made sure ther was 4" of clearence and open front and rear as well as the trim piece has openings on all sides. Thanks!

( For those wondering David advised me on a different matter regarding my tinsel leads, it just so happened that he recommended that connecting wires not pass through the wall of the speaker cabinet)
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-07-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
There are two places that a plex enclosure tend to leak, and Hate, I didn't know it was a plex box. One, is that a foam gasket is generally used behind the acrylic window and the seams between the strips can leak so we've gone to a silicon gasket. Two, few want to use a terminal cup since its a little unsightly to the interior as it shows. Also, with those woofers the internal pressure is intense (understatement). So we encase the terminal cup for a double seal which will stand up to the pressure. If we choose to not use a 5-way binding post cup then we use heavy stainless steel bolts (conductors) that pass-thru the enclosure and are double -nutted so they will never rotate as you R&R the sub box and external connections. You can also put a hard 90 degrees on the wiring at the point they exit the box and screw down a cover plate with a secondary silicon seal. So there are definitely several ways to guarantee the box will remain airtight over the long term.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (4white)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
Looks amazing, I have two under my glove box and not really happy with the sound. was looking to change it next year.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-07-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
That looks great Hate! I wish i had a chance to wander down and see your set-up in person the other day. Thats a tight fit... 1.8?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-07-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
Looks good dude!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2010, 6:57 PM Reply   
LOL David, you didnt even know i was building a box. you were speaking in general terms as to why i might be having tinsel lead problems. He 90'd them out. Thanks fellas.

Newty, are you refering to the subs or the under dash local?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-07-2010, 8:17 PM Reply   
Damn Hate! If it sounds as good as it looks I`ll know when your surfin from my house.. On the tint thing it sounds cool but then you will only see them at night.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-07-2010, 9:24 PM Reply   
A plex box should be mandatory for subs that look that serious.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-08-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
Lookin good!
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-08-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
I like it! Looks good, never heard those woofers.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-08-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
Looks like it pounds, Hate. Nice install, kill some fish with it.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-10-2010, 4:14 AM Reply   
VERY nice!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-10-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
That is an awesome looking set up!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-10-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
Thanks Fellas...it hits pretty damn hard but these subs are more musical/SQ than SPL.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-10-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
Looks nice man, I was able to fandangle my 12 behind the stock carpeted plate so it's sleeper style, but a friend has a square driver on his 215 that you can see but every now and then when driving I kick it with my foot and feel like that may screw it up, so the solution you have there is sweet, love the LEDS as well.

On a side note what cover is that over your head unit? I have the one that I have to flip up every time that won't stay up, I think Sanger put these in all factory stereo systems, it's nice and watertight but is nowhere as user friendly as the sealed Clarion HU with no door, but looks like yours can be left open unless you want to close it overnight or whatever. Do you have a brand name for it??
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-10-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Thanks Scott. I'm not sure what brand mine is but I did a search for stereo splash guard and it looks like Dual makes one. You can flip it up then it slides back and away. Its tinted but you can see through it as you can tell in the night pictures.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-10-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Your buddy should get a grill to cover his sub. Kicker makes squar covers that come in gray but could be paint matched pretty damn easy if he wated it to pop a little. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i...--grilles.html
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-10-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
damn that is clean. i wouldn't paint it if it were mine.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-10-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
Looks nice man. I like the Diamond plate. These the subs being run by your XI2500.1?

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-10-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
That's them, stuffing a lot of power at em