Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-19-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
just picked up the VLX
great boat
everything I wanted
launched it, idiots were blocking the ramp after the boat was in the water....my driver tried to keep from running into the dock, but there was no place to go....the wind caught her and reverse was the only option ......the prop hit the ramp
.....I was parking the truck....hadn't even gotten in the boat, till after it happened

the thing had .3 hours on it

ran it....1st hour of break-in is 2000 rpm or lower

we never felt a vibration, so we ran it till hours got to 1.7

looking at it after....two blades have really good spots on them

my 2005 Xti woulda had the whole boat shakin.....it was a DD

do v-drives just handle things better?
perhaps 'cause the dings are at the very tips...it isn't as big a deal.....?
am plannin on trying to finish the 3 hour breakin Sunday.....so we can surf or board wednesday

what do yall think?
if there is no vibration, should I shut-er-down anyway
got a new prop ordered on-line
might just face the ridicule and take it in mon or tues for a fix Upload
Old     (lightningstrikes)      Join Date: May 2007       05-19-2007, 10:41 PM Reply   
I have done the same thing...hit the ramp while attempting to launch. I had some dings on the edges and did not really feel any vibrations till 30-35mph then went away 36-top speed. I ran it the rest of the day, then took it to the local prop shop and had it straightened and balanced for $65.
I also hit a submerged stump once, that totaly bent every blade and the boat shook violently at ANY speed. Again, I took it to the prop shop and same thing, straightened and rebalanced....only difference is this time it was $105.
I ALMOST bought a new prop the first time, @ $365 until I heard about our local prop repair guy....beautiful workmanship and way cheaper than a new one. I am sure you have a prop shop in your hometown, but if not maybe some places will ship to and from? You would still save even if shipping out of town. Just an FYI
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-19-2007, 11:09 PM Reply   
If it was my brand new boat I wouldn't run it with a dinged prop, no matter how small the damage was.

Vibrations, even one's you can't feel are not good for the shaft, strut, cutlass bearing, or transmission.

IT'S A BRAND NEW BOAT. PLEASE be patient and treat her right. Just park it till the new prop comes in. There's plenty of summer left, and it ain't worth the risk of damaging other parts of the drivetrain.

Take the old prop to a local propeller shop and get it straightened too keep as a spare; it'll run good as new. No need to lose face at the stealership. If you don't have a local prop shop that can work on it, you can always ship it off to one of the many propeller repair places on the net. I would also suggest going ahead and buying a prop puller ($60). Eventually you'll have a prop get stuck to the shaft. If you already have the puller, then you dont have to worry about the temptation to beat the prop off with a hammer.

That really sucks you had carnage on your 1st day out. Be patient though, and wait for the new prop to come in. Its worth it in the long run on a new boat.

My $0.03,
Dirty
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-20-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
I'd order the ACME 1235 or the OJ 475 for it, you're gonna want it if you load it up. Then send your stock prop in to get it fixed and keep it as a spare.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-20-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
we decided not to run it today...bummer
but we know it's the right move
...I am gunna stay with the stock prop for now

I know that alot of 'Bu owners love the 1235, but I don't even know what the stock prop and Hammerhead can do
so far, we haven't been above 3000 rpm
......and we've run with no ballast or wedge

Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-20-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
You said you have a new prop on order. There isn't much difference in the holeshot of a hammerhead and a monsoon similarly proped. It's the middle to upper rpm range the HH REALLY comes alive. If you had another stock 537 ACME on order I was just gonna tell you might as well order the 1235, you'll want it later on. Your prop doesn't look bad now.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-20-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
nu bu
see the bend on the top blade
that's the worst one
like I said, there is no vibration
....it would be nice to get that last hour of break-in in today
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-20-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
If that was the magnitude of the damage on the prop and that was my boat I'd run it until I got a new prop. I can't tell if the bottom blades in the pic are pealed back, if so I wouldn't run it.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-20-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
nope
that's the worst of it
like I said, in my XTi...you could really tell if there was a bend
but the VLX, I would never have known, if she hadn't told what happened....or if I hadn't looked
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-20-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
sounds like you're set for the rest of the break in hours then.
Old     (lightningstrikes)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
Thanks for the jinx!
I took the boat out today for a test session of some extensive engine repairs done this last week....boat ran absolutely flawlessly. As I was pulling on the trailer, the idiot next to me was launching and he nailed his throttle off his trailer as I was going in...he sent a small make over to me that put me off center just enuf and hit the trailer
It is pretty bad on 2 blades and I am SURE it will vibrate so off it comes. I am so mad because Memorial weekend is 5 days away!GRRRR
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-20-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
sorry Chad
here in Texas, boat ramps have never been as bad as what yall say they are in California

I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes or so

but I swear the idiots are out in force so far this year

there was a guy yesterday...on a 3 lane ramp
take up 2 lanes with 20 trucks waiting

he sat there.....his boat was still on the trailer, but his boat battery was dead
NOT THE TRUCK, BUT THE BOAT BATTERY!

then people just sit in the water so no one has anyplace to go once they launch

I hope that things get back to normal around here soon
Old     (lightningstrikes)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
Yeah there are a lot of idiots these days...absolutely no courtesy whatsoever. People jump in front of you when they can clearly see you are in a line waiting for your turn...and the ones that launch then wait at the dock for their 12 friends to load in...sometimes I just want to kick everyone in the face, but since I am a non violent person I just sit and wait
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-20-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
OK, guys. Most of you know I sell props. On Mondays I sell about a half-dozen props with Weekend Saver Kits. The story is the same - damaged prop and a shot weekend. On Wednesdays through Fridays, I am hard pressed to sell a weekend saver kit.

I don't know why people with a $20,000 plus boat will not put a spare prop and Weekend Saver Kit in the boat. Sure, it is over $400 - but what value do you put on having your boat work with the very limited hours you have for riding?

Even if you don't get the kit - assemble your own with a prop puller, tools, prop, and parts. Just protect your prop from the boat and your boat and gear from the prop. It is useless to put a damaged prop on your boat to replace a damaged prop.

FWIW - about 1/3 of the people who order on Mondays damaged the prop during launching - on either the trailer or the bottom.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-20-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
thanks Karl
you are absolutely right
I will never go out again..without a spare and a puller...etc....
I guess I haven't paid attention...or I woulda bought a spare and a kit from you
sorry
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-20-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
The boys shouldn't laugh to hardI would run that one by James Propeller on Valwood, he can probably fix that easily.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-20-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
maybe not
Tony will probably have a good time with it
and Frank of 'course
but they aren't so bad
great guys
when do you get your '07?
Old     (lightningstrikes)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
Karl...thanks for the offer...I already have a prop puller, and I actually have 3 props. I usually have at least 1 that is freshened up and ready to go, but I got lazy the last time and did not get around to getting one to the shop. We do a lot of river riding and hit logs and submersed stumps way too often and I should have known better but oh well, gonna get all 3 fixed this week. Planning on spending a lot of time on the water over Memorial weekend so I best be prepared huh.
P.S., sorry Cliff...not trying to jack your thread.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-20-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
Got my 07 2 weeks ago, was down with Frank and the crew today, good time.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-20-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
great looking boat Shane
did yall go down to Frank's place on the river

went out on his 247 with the kiddos in the girls wakeboard club

that's a large boat....nice too
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-20-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
Thanks, Cliff, down there every weekend, we have a mobile unit at the redneck riviera.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-21-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
just got the prop back on and we are good to go

my puller and spare will be here before the weekend!

woo hoo!