Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old    boardman74            01-21-2003, 9:04 AM Reply   
Well I worked a great deal on a new boat only to find that my ex wife has totally destroyed my credit and I can't get a loan. She opened a bunch of credit cards in my name and now I am having to file a lawsuit to get it cleared up. My local bank has no problem financing me, but the problem is they only go to 5 years on boat loans. No way I can afford to finance a new boat for only 5 years. I'm stuck to under $10,000 to get the payment I want. Next catch, can't be older than 1995 for them to go 5 years. I would like to buy something to use for a few years until I get this credit thing settled. My lawyer and the FTC say that these things take 2-3 years average to get cleared. So I have been looking hard for a fitting match. I really want an inboard, but know that is a stretch. Here is what I have found. It's a 1997 Maxum(I know) 200 Pro skier/Ski max. It's the same boat as a Bayliner 1997 Ski Challenger 2089. I owned one of these brand new in 1997 and really liked the wake. It's the same hull with Maxums interior and options. It is a heavy boat at 3150 with only a 7 ft 7 inch beam. It produces a very large clean wake when waited. I had a lot of people ride behind that boat and everyone was always happy with the wake. I know I was and I never put more than 600 lbs in it. Here's the options: Mercruiser 265 hp mag, cd, cover, 2 fat sacs and pump, fly high, heat, shower, depth finder. The only problem is the boat was left out and is weathered. The hull is perfect(minus chalking) and the trailer is good. This is an all fiber glass boat so rot is not a problem. Low book on the boat is $10,995 with the options. I can buy it for $9000. I know it needs new carpet and probably interior in a few years. It is fine, but has some mold and I don't know how much will come out. I talked to a detailer who will rub out the hull and clean the interior for $300 and gaurantees(sp?) near new results from looking at it. But he says the harshness of the cleaner may hurt the vinyl over time. The engine has 105 hours and runs great. I think it's a good deal, please give me your inputs. Thanks
Old     (bobbyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-21-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
Man that sucks she messed you up like that. But that boat doesnt sound like to bad of a deal then.
Old    boardman74            01-23-2003, 8:49 AM Reply   
Any more input?
Old    swass            01-23-2003, 11:30 AM Reply   
Yeah, I do, but it's just so hard to dispose of a body these days, so, never mind.
Old    sunsetterlxi            01-23-2003, 11:59 AM Reply   
Also you might want to see if you can hook up with riders down there. 9K will buy ALOT of gas and boards, binding, lube, fat sacks, pumps, etc.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-23-2003, 6:24 PM Reply   
no wood, 265 hp, 105 hours on the clock, and a decent wake?? What are you waiting for, you wont get approval from this crowd unless its at least a 320 hp V drive.
Old    rtm            01-23-2003, 6:37 PM Reply   
Sounds like a great opportunity to me. You have experience with a similar hull and liked the way it worked so what's the hesitation!!

We ride a variety of boats on my lake and a pull always beats no pull at all.

Some older inboards in your price range were so ski specific that you'd find yourself having to way the hell out of 'em to get the wake you like sacraficing all your interior space.

Sounds good to me, although I don't know alot about that particular boat and model. Good Luck!! (swass does have wisdom)
Old    boardman74            01-24-2003, 4:40 AM Reply   
swass,
All your good advice and you can read minds too!
You are the MAN!
Old    tcgragg            02-03-2003, 7:31 PM Reply   
boat for sale 13.5k 1994 crownline stainless prop, tower,rack and system low hours and in ggod shape
Old    upupnaway            02-10-2003, 3:13 AM Reply   
I have posted this before, but it is a good example I bought a 98 mobius for close to that amount fully loaded, and my buddy bought a decently equiped malibu for close to your price as well. There are some great deals out there if you are willing to bide your time, and do research. I still search boat trader from time to time, and ocassionally a gem comes up for a great price. I searched for about 6 months before buying, and finally found the perfect fit.
sounds like you got a good fit there, but if you decide differently, keep looking. there is always someone out there in need of a quick sale.