Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    mxman            10-12-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
I just wanted to get a general concensus on how well you like your board racks. I have an old set of wakedesigns racks that absolutely suck. Being an engineer I can not belive they made such crappy racks. What makes it worse is when looking for new ones they dont seem to be much better.

So I have a bunch of ideas on how to improve them, but wanted to get some feedback before investing the time into designing them. So if you could rate the following things on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being most important) for me I would appreciate the input.

Having racks removable?

Not neededing a tool to remove them?

Rack doesnt rattle (due to it being removable)?

Boards held secure in rack (no rattling or banging around in rough water)?

Holding the board with out using bungee cords?

Crome Finish, lots of bling, bling?

Would you pay an extra $75-$100 for a rack that had all this?

Thanks guys and Ill be sure to remember you if I come up with something good.
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-12-2005, 9:01 PM Reply   
5 3 10 10 7 3 8
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-12-2005, 9:44 PM Reply   
sounds like the nvert rack. I dont need a removeable rack. I am happy with using bungies no problem there, boards will hit once and a while on a super hard hit, but generally wont. I dont think I would pay 75-100 more, maybe if it was the same price, or less, even then I dont know if that would be enough to sway me away from another set up titan racks. But best of luck!
Old    likeglass            10-12-2005, 10:20 PM Reply   
Well mxman, I've heard alot of bad things about the Wakedesign racks along with alot of good things from loyal costumers.
I do have to give them props for being the first to create and market the idea of the traditional wakeboard rack.

But, what it comes down to is having the ability to make a rack with a simple design (cheap to manufacture) that's reasonably affordable to the average boat owner.
In my oppinion, Wakedesign put alot into the bling, only they chose to make thier rack out of die cast alunimum. Not the most siutable material for the application, considerining the beating the racks take on the water.

That said, I've work on designing some new wakeboard racks my self. I considered many of the same things you described, and at the end, the result is a very costly product that might only cater to the "Money's no object" boat owner.
Not alot of those around, as you may know, boats are a money pit as it is.

My design is traditional, yet solid, and yes... bling too.

5 7 10 5 5 5

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-12-2005, 10:44 PM Reply   
Lets see some photos of great racks. Then this post might actually be interesting.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-13-2005, 5:56 AM Reply   
I cant say anything bad about my old C & C creations racks. They arent removeable but to me it doesnt matter (no real need). Ive left boards in while boarding without the bungie and never had a problem. No bling but a very reasonably priced, functional board rack. Unfortunately someone left a board in a rack while approaching a dock and we rubbed a bit too hard and one of the board supports came off.
Old     (l7wakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-13-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
All I know is that my monster tower racks have been great. They don't make any noise, they are removable, they look nice, and best of all... they were very affordable compared ro most other racks. Combine that with amazing customer service and you couldn't ask for anything more. For instance, one of the inserts came out and fell in the water (we didn't have the clamp tightened down). I emailed the guys at monster tower explaining we needed another one. They asked what size and an address, sent them out the next day for free. So I get them in the mail, and not only did they give us the inserts, but two free can coozies and some stickers. And all of this was zero hassle, no questions asked. Hands down the best accessory on the boat!
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-13-2005, 7:57 AM Reply   
My husband used to co-own Double-Fisted Wakeboard racks (by B&M designs). He and his friend designed theirs (both Mechanical Engineers). You might want to check those out www.double-fisted.com. They don't make noise, really affordable and they started that business for the same reasons, were totally fed up with the crap that was on the market at that time.

Great racks IMO, but I'm somewhat biased :-)}
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-13-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
An option you missed in your list and something you are seeing on more boats is swivel racks! Best new invention in racks! I love swivel racks, although I don't have them, I will be getting them on my next new boat. Swivel racks are a must for me. I take it everyone else likes the swivels? I can't see any draw backs to them.