Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-16-2013, 7:51 AM Reply   
I am curious what the etiquette is when it comes to standing in line and who goes first at the cable park. For instance at the cable park I ride there are two lines. One for the narrow top/deck where riders sit or stand and jump off and the other line is behind where riders slide off or stand and jump. I always assumed your place in line is where you show up wether it be in the top deck or behind. I take a mental note of who's in front of me or behind me so I dont cut anyone off. A couple of days ago I had a "disagreement" with a rider. I was standing on the upper narrow deck and he was behind me on the standing area(area closest to the cable operator). The cable operator handed it to him first and I reached for him to pass it over. Not to make it a long story but he said the line alternates from the two lines, one for the top deck area and the other for the line behind. Is that true? I didnt agree with him but I also wasnt about to get in a fight over a spot in line.

What are your thoughts?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-16-2013, 8:03 AM Reply   
At OWC the rope alternates between the two lines. So anyone who gets in the shorter line may go before someone who got in the longer line earlier. I agree with the person you had a disagreement with. Think about it... The operator can only keep track of alternating lines. He can't watch everyone to see who got in first. This isn't a matter of opinion or thoughts.

Ask the cable operator if you are unsure of how he handles passing out the line.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-16-2013, 8:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
At OWC the rope alternates between the two lines. So anyone who gets in the shorter line may go before someone who got in the longer line earlier. I agree with the person you had a disagreement with. Think about it... The operator can only keep track of alternating lines. He can't watch everyone to see who got in first. This isn't a matter of opinion or thoughts.

Ask the cable operator if you are unsure of how he handles passing out the line.
+1
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-16-2013, 8:25 AM Reply   
I'd just ask the operator like what has been said.

But I won't tolerate any line cutting. I've seen the best riders in the world wait in a long line so I see no reason a local rat can't stand in line too. I'll call a weasel out in a heartbeat. The only exception is the cable operator trying to squeeze in a ride before his/her shift or on a break. I'm cool with that. If I had to sit and press buttons all day while others shred, I would lose my mind.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-16-2013, 8:41 AM Reply   
I am glad I posted then since I wasnt too sure. Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
I'd just ask the operator like what has been said.

But I won't tolerate any line cutting. I've seen the best riders in the world wait in a long line so I see no reason a local rat can't stand in line too. I'll call a weasel out in a heartbeat. The only exception is the cable operator trying to squeeze in a ride before his/her shift or on a break. I'm cool with that. If I had to sit and press buttons all day while others shred, I would lose my mind.
I personally dont like when people cut in line either but Im also the first to say go ahead of me if its a beginner, a girl or if I feel I was cutting in front of someone. I have seen a few scenarios where the local cable rat or friend of the operator seems to cut in front of everyone and that pisses me off. Its always the young kid who thinks they are too cool too.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-16-2013, 9:05 AM Reply   
I've been going to Odub since they opened and rarely see anyone cut in line. I usually count the number of people in each line and take the shorter one. What's annoying is when someone in your line is ready but isn't in a hurry and they graciously give the handle to the person in the other line. Unfortunately they don't seen to grasp the fact that they are holding everyone up behind them. I will sometimes shout out.. "go or let the guy behind you go". One time when someone in front of me did that I jumped in front of him on the dock and said.. "I'll take it". Not sure if they got the message.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-16-2013, 10:17 AM Reply   
At the cable park I ride at most the line is split this way as well and I find that it is much more efficient than parks that don't split their line. Most of your beginner riders who may still need help off the dock or aren't ready to go at any given moment start from the seated line. Your more advanced riders typically start from the slide or nollie start. Often times the standing start line will move faster than the sitting line as dictated by riders who need help or just aren't ready when an open carrier comes through the motor tower. With the lines split this allows for open positions to be filled so that there is always a full cable and the line runs as smooth as possible. I have noticed at parks who only use a single lineit easily backs up leaving multiple open spots where people could have been riding
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-16-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
This happens all the time at my home cable. The "sitting" line could have 15 people in it with the "standing" line only having 1 person. It sucks but it also isn't practical to have all the 15 go before the other line goes at all. Most people understand this and are cool about it. If there are only a few people in the sitting line that got there first and I'm next in the standing line, I will often pass over a couple of handles and gladly let them go first.

My pet peeves are when riders choose which carrier they want. Last week I had somebody right in front of me skip two open carriers to get the open one he wanted. Also, when the cable operator is too busy texting and several open carriers pass by without sending somebody. I will kindly try to get their attention with, "Hey Buddy, you want to send somebody?!"
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-16-2013, 10:25 AM Reply   
Matt - Do you ride at Allen or Lewisville?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-16-2013, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
This happens all the time at my home cable. The "sitting" line could have 15 people in it with the "standing" line only having 1 person. It sucks but it also isn't practical to have all the 15 go before the other line goes at all. Most people understand this and are cool about it. If there are only a few people in the sitting line that got there first and I'm next in the standing line, I will often pass over a couple of handles and gladly let them go first.

My pet peeves are when riders choose which carrier they want. Last week I had somebody right in front of me skip two open carriers to get the open one he wanted. Also, when the cable operator is too busy texting and several open carriers pass by without sending somebody. I will kindly try to get their attention with, "Hey Buddy, you want to send somebody?!"
Choose which carrier they want, is this real?? One thing I've noticed and am totally cool with is if I am the only one standing and there are 10 sitters, the cable op won't send 10 before one, but he will send 2 or 3, thats fine by me! And likewise, if there are people (like me) who he knows won't go on marathon sessions he's apt to toss me the handle when the sit line is moving slow and let me get out there knowing since I'm not a cable bum I'll have 3-5 laps before I'm smoked...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-16-2013, 11:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Choose which carrier they want, is this real?? One thing I've noticed and am totally cool with is if I am the only one standing and there are 10 sitters, the cable op won't send 10 before one, but he will send 2 or 3, thats fine by me! And likewise, if there are people (like me) who he knows won't go on marathon sessions he's apt to toss me the handle when the sit line is moving slow and let me get out there knowing since I'm not a cable bum I'll have 3-5 laps before I'm smoked...
Yes it's real, and I'm prob one of the guys he's referring to. I don't do it often, and am always letting people go in front or before me, and if I want a specific carrier and there are open ones coming up before it, I'll give the handle to the beginner sitting on "seat" line and let them go. I'm all about getting people off the dock and getting the line moving as much as possible. I'll even make comments to regulars on how their set was entirely too long given the length of the dock line, something many teenagers seem "oblivious" to. Why do I want a specific carrier? Well, one specific carrier you can't do air tricks on, it drops the line and I don't want that to happen or get hurt, or even have that in the back of my mind while riding. Other reasons are simply who it would put you behind. This is opening up a can of worms and borderline whining, which I'm not doing, but there are plenty of people that if I get behind it's ruining my line and set. Most of them I understand and it's no problem, just would rather not ride behind a beginner just going down the middle, someone who is always throwing air tricks at the beginning of the long stretch (I do mine on the short stretches/turns nearly exclusively), wakeskaters that don't hit anything, constant raley throwers shaking the cable, any cable shaker (Maytag Man ), and my greatest pet peeve are the half wrappers, which needs to be dealt with. If there is a line at all, half wrapping down the straight stretches shouldn't be allowed, and is done too much, often by the same riders oblivious that they just took a 20 min set while there was a line. If you need to half wrap so you don't get tired, grow some or drop and go to the dock. Most of the time it's someone "working" on something, and they hit one obstacle and then halfwrap the rest of the way around, just going down the middle. Good job on your 40th nose press in row bro, now try hitting something else. Or their being filmed... so awesome. Rant over, I also sometimes like to get in front of or behind someone specific because we hit the same obstacles, and we're pushing each other, or you are showing someone a good line into something.

The split lines are very useful, and we can all look at improving the cycle of getting off the dock, and helping everyone get out their quickly and in their appropriate spot in line. Like I said, I'm more likely to give up my turn to go to get a beginner off the dock, or move the line quicker. I'm all about efficiency, which is what the operators should be focused on as well. And if someone cuts, call them out. Most of the time there are plenty of others wanting to do the same, they just aren't.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-16-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
Matt - Do you ride at Allen or Lewisville?
I ride Allen and BSR. I havent tried out the Lewisville location yet.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-16-2013, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
nd my greatest pet peeve are the half wrappers, which needs to be dealt with. If there is a line at all, half wrapping down the straight stretches shouldn't be allowed, and is done too much, often by the same riders oblivious that they just took a 20 min set while there was a line.
Half wrappers? Are you talking about the guys who ride with the handle wrapped around their back?

I usually can only last 5-6 passes and my forearms are torched. I get to the point that when I can no longer hold on I have to let go or try something that I most likely will fall on just so I can get a break.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-16-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
If a carrier is ejecting on air tricks then that is a good reason for passing it up. I will pass the handle to the other line if the other person isn't throwing air tricks.

A lap limit is the best way to deal with a busy dock. The nice thing about Odub is that there are no considerations for beginners on the advanced cable. Both lines are the same. Sit or stand... your choice.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-16-2013, 11:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce_bronkite View Post
Half wrappers? Are you talking about the guys who ride with the handle wrapped around their back?

I usually can only last 5-6 passes and my forearms are torched. I get to the point that when I can no longer hold on I have to let go or try something that I most likely will fall on just so I can get a break.
Yes. Unfortunately advanced riders feel the need to do this all the time, so newcomers think it's something cool to do. You're good man, just keep riding till your arms fall off and have fun!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-16-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
I learned about cable étiquette this summer. The one thing I had not considered was being cognizant of my rollers and if I wasn't going to hit a feature, to ride near it. That is something that I had never even thought of and grinds my gears now. Its all fun in the end.

The line issue mentioned by the OP seems to be the same at Sacramento's cable. Back and forth, so just go ahead and stand in the shortest line. Hard to imagine a cable operator paying attention to who got in line first, especially with having to get handles in order and letting folks know of an excessively long set.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-16-2013, 8:38 PM Reply   
Lap limits and alternating the lines is a sure way to keep things moving and fun for all on a busy day.
Sesitec systems ( like the one in Sac) count your laps every time you scan in and hookup to a new carrier. That keeps it fair and the operator can easily see who's at their lap limit.

All that aside. In the USA cutting line is not acceptable behavior whether your at the DMV, in traffic of at the cable. You can expect words from me if you cut no matter who you are
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-16-2013, 9:45 PM Reply   
These reasons are why I only go on weekdays, and early (the few times I've gone)...I don't have time in my life to worry about "riding behind a beginner" or not hitting enough obstacles (according to someone else) or whatever cutting in line shenanigans goes on. I'd rather chill on my boat than deal with a crowded cable park....this is not to say I don't like riding cable, I just don't like dealing with idiots.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-17-2013, 3:31 AM Reply   
Think they need to rotate between newbies and more established riders otherwise you can get a load of people stacking up in the water at the first corner.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-17-2013, 6:07 AM Reply   
I've only ridden cables in the UK and they all use a two line system, the operators usually alternate but if anyone in one line is not ready they pass the next handle to the other line, good practice I think. I have seen the operator tell people "1 more lap" but it's rare, even when the queues are massive, most are complete beginners so it's not uncommon to see 20+ people in a line and 4 or 5 empty carriers circulating because their riders fell trying to get up.

OP, I would agree with other rider, if your queue moved slower / was longer then your loss. As long as he did not jump the queue.

A pet peeve of mine would be people trying a fancy dock start that they are unlikely to land when there is a large queue. Their mates who are usually next in line allow them to swim back to the dock and jump to the front of the queue were they do a proper start. That's pi$$ poor etiquitte in my humble opinion.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-17-2013, 12:28 PM Reply   
If the lines not long I also ask to be spaced out one carrier from the rider in front of me. I've asked this at 5 diff cables and its never been a prob. I do this so I'm not trying to Ollie on in another riders wake. Not sure about doing it for air tricks as I don't/can't do them. I would never ask to wait an extra carrier if the line was long. The thing that really pisses me off are operators not paying attention or playing on there cell phone or talking to someone not even ridding that day about what bar they are going to later. All you gotta do is press buttons, hand ropes, and send em!!! Fukin pay attention. It's never been any operators in Florida that are guilty of this; always farther north cables so ima say its just a lack of experience. If Sumone really does straight cut in line speak up!!! I've called multiple people out. I did have an experience at one cable that kinda pissed me off. All of the cables I had ridden were where if the cable stops you can just float and wait to do a deep water start. Well I was riding a cable in Tampa (no names) and was in the far back corner when it stopped and no one was on the straight in front of me so like every other cable I waited and deep water started. Then when I got to the motor tower the cable nazi dropped me. When I put my hands up like wtf? He said "no deep water starts, you'll mess the cable up". I was like well its never been that way anywhere else and did you really haft to drop me to tell me that. Couldn't you of told me once I was back in line? He said "I yelled let go" but I truly didn't hear him since I was in the back corner w and island in between us. He then just mumbled some crap about policy and by then I was already back in line. So why will sum cables let you do deep water starts and others won't??? Honestly though even if a had of heard him I still woulda deep started just so I wouldn't of had to walk the entire cable length back

Nothing against the cable; I freaking love that place but this operator was full of himself. Line was huge and he was missing sending people on about every other carrier.

But a bad day on cable is better than any day of boat so it was still a great day!!!!
Rant over.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-17-2013, 12:45 PM Reply   
But I can be an over opinionated ******* so.....
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-17-2013, 2:15 PM Reply   
I've been dropped on two different cables, they've never let anyone deep water start but while one person was fixing the cable another person drove around in a rib picking up the dropped riders. No complaints there.
Old     (mccormickscablepark)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-17-2013, 5:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLurker View Post
If the lines not long I also ask to be spaced out one carrier from the rider in front of me. I've asked this at 5 diff cables and its never been a prob. I do this so I'm not trying to Ollie on in another riders wake. Not sure about doing it for air tricks as I don't/can't do them. I would never ask to wait an extra carrier if the line was long. The thing that really pisses me off are operators not paying attention or playing on there cell phone or talking to someone not even ridding that day about what bar they are going to later. All you gotta do is press buttons, hand ropes, and send em!!! Fukin pay attention. It's never been any operators in Florida that are guilty of this; always farther north cables so ima say its just a lack of experience. If Sumone really does straight cut in line speak up!!! I've called multiple people out. I did have an experience at one cable that kinda pissed me off. All of the cables I had ridden were where if the cable stops you can just float and wait to do a deep water start. Well I was riding a cable in Tampa (no names) and was in the far back corner when it stopped and no one was on the straight in front of me so like every other cable I waited and deep water started. Then when I got to the motor tower the cable nazi dropped me. When I put my hands up like wtf? He said "no deep water starts, you'll mess the cable up". I was like well its never been that way anywhere else and did you really haft to drop me to tell me that. Couldn't you of told me once I was back in line? He said "I yelled let go" but I truly didn't hear him since I was in the back corner w and island in between us. He then just mumbled some crap about policy and by then I was already back in line. So why will sum cables let you do deep water starts and others won't??? Honestly though even if a had of heard him I still woulda deep started just so I wouldn't of had to walk the entire cable length back

Nothing against the cable; I freaking love that place but this operator was full of himself. Line was huge and he was missing sending people on about every other carrier.

But a bad day on cable is better than any day of boat so it was still a great day!!!!
Rant over.
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate hearing riders comments whether it was a positive or negative experience. The operator was right though, we dont allow deep water starts, it sucks you were dropped in the opposite far corner and of course you wouldnt have heard him. We could also have a tram that circles the lake and brings riders back, but then that would stack up the dock and we'd have to use lap counters more than the few times we do during our peak days, hence having riders walk back and space it out.

as far as deepwater starts go, for the safety of all riders and the equipment we dont allow deep water starts. Could he of went about it a different way, sure, and we apologize this happened in that way. As far as their attitude, helpfulness and lack of paying attention, we wont tolerate this and appreciate you bringing this to our attention!

Again thank you for your feedback!

McCormick's

Last edited by mccormickscablepark; 09-17-2013 at 5:06 PM.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-17-2013, 5:57 PM Reply   
Never been a problem with deep water starts at OWC. One day when no one else was there the operator gave me deep water starts when I fell.

I really don't think it messes up the cable, and I'm not sure how it's any more dangerous than hitting an obstacle..
Old     (mccormickscablepark)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-17-2013, 6:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Never been a problem with deep water starts at OWC. One day when no one else was there the operator gave me deep water starts when I fell.

I really don't think it messes up the cable, and I'm not sure how it's any more dangerous than hitting an obstacle..
Thats fine. Just like some parks allow comp vests and others dont. Each park has their reasoning for rules and we understand that.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-17-2013, 11:17 PM Reply   
From what I understand deep water starts can mess up the ( correct me if I'm wrong) differential. Now I for one am a fan of not having to walk back to the dock when the cable gets stopped but I'm not the one paying for a new differential either. ask someone who knows how many differentials Texas ski Ranch has replaced? I have heard that they haven't had to replace any and they attribute that to the nodeep water start rule
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-18-2013, 5:20 AM Reply   
I would imagine 1 person doing it wouldn't be an issue but if everyone in the water after the cable stopped tried to do one I could imagine there being issues.
Old     (wakeskierbrad)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-01-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
Yes 1 deepwater start is normally fine, but when you get 6-8 riders deepwater starting it wears on the cable and its parts (differential, etc). That is why some cables don't allow. You gotta try to be the same across the board for everyone, so why it's not allowed at some parks.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-01-2013, 10:52 AM Reply   
Hydrous lets you deep water start and I love it of course!

A-dub - I actually wan't talking about you. It was a buddy of mine and I let him know it too! There was like 15 minutues of daylight left and over 10 people in line and he was passing up several carriers without passing the handle.

I don't know how to solve the doublt line issue. I went on Sunday and at times there was 1 person in the standing line and over 12 in the sitting line. I always going to the standing line so I was essentially cutting in line. Most of the sitting people were beginners though and weren't even strapped in when it was their turn so I didn't feel too bad. I actually tried to pass it over a couple of time and I screwed up the flow because the sitting line person was new and got freaked out and dropped the handle.

Anyway, my biggest pet peeve now is the cable operators that are too cool to pay attention to their job. I'll watch while they text and let 3, 4, or 5 open carriers pass without dumping the existing rope or sending somebody new. I try not to be a jerk but politely remind them they might want to send someone.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-03-2013, 6:45 AM Reply   
Stacked lines on busy days are unnecessary with today's technology. Instead of standing for twenty minutes in line, wouldn't it be cool if you scan your wristband to put your avatar to stand in line while you go hang a leak, straight flex on Instagram or find girls to tell how your a sponsored rider? There would have to be a bunch of monitors near the girls so you could watch your avatar get closer. The avatar could change color when there is six riders before you. If you have a girlfriend, a Blackberry phone or enjoy peeing in your wetsuit around strangers, then maybe this won't sound so awesome.

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2013, 11:01 AM Reply   
There would have to actually be chicks at the cable park for that to happen though