Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-18-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
There has been lots of discussion on how much weight guys have in there rides, Its not disputed that the more weight the bigger the wake. My question is how are the tow boats in comp's set up? Three comp's come to mind, PWT, Malibu' open, and Boardstock. Anybody know how much extra weight they bring or is it a representation of the factory set up for those manufactures?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-18-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
Approximately 1500 lbs plus driver (Both Lead and water ballast), two judges, and typically, two guys filming (Photographer and video) It also depends on the boat. PWT uses the X Star, Vans Triple Crown uses Nautique.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-18-2004, 7:36 AM Reply   
That's what I am wondering. How much does the weight change depending on the boat? While each wake has a diffrent shape, size should be affected by the weight. I know that free-riding adds a whole nother aspect to the weight in the boat.Are competions limited to the amount of weight can be added to the boat?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-18-2004, 7:56 AM Reply   
Absolutely! A lot of the wakes wash out with too much weight. Keith Lyman boasts 5000 lbs + in his Tige 24V and Ricky G claims the same 5k+ in his Malibu. I know that Chris Bischoff (Tige Team Manager) has told Keith if he blows up another tranny, engine or sinks another boat, he's off the team. I've seen Keiths boat and all the fat sacks and lead. I cannot confirm that there is 5k + but there are more sacks that I have ever seen in one boat before. It also takes half of Lake Whipoorwill to get on plane.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-18-2004, 7:58 AM Reply   
Another big factor is the water depth. Shallow lakes effect the sizes of wakes no matter how much weight you put in your boat.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-18-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
Are Keith L and Ricky G running the 8.1 L. If not I highly doubt they are running that much weight. The boat would never plan out. IMO team riders should take better care of there boats.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-18-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
I've ridden behind SAN's that have about 3k in total ballast. The So-Cal Hyperlite Rep a;ways sinks the hell out of it. That boat with that much weight had a thigh high(wakeboarder measurements, rider under 5'9")wake and was stiff as hell. When Ricky rides behind it he uses an 85' line and rides at 25.6 mph. Certain boats can take more weight. The Malibu LSV would require more weight than a SAN because the hull is so much larger that it requires more to sink it the same as a the narrow short hull of the SAN.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-18-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
steven- Ricky really does put 5k in his boat, it is sick!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-18-2004, 1:10 PM Reply   
I'm sure he does.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-18-2004, 1:32 PM Reply   
I think a true 5k would sink or come pretty darn close to sinking a boat. It would send my SAN straight to the bottom. 3k + people is just about the absolute max for a SAN in fresh water. I tend to find that Fat Sacs tend to weigh only about 70% of what people think they do. That probably accounts for the discrepancy.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-18-2004, 2:31 PM Reply   
matt thats true, people always overestimate how much a sac weighs.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-18-2004, 3:19 PM Reply   
Uhhh... 5000lbs? I don't, really, think so. I guess so, but dang. That is alot of weight. The most I have had in my VLX is 3600lbs in Sacs. I usually run 2600lbs and the wedge.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-18-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
Both guys are pulling with a 8.1 liter
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-18-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
Actually I'm pretty sure Lyman says he has 6k.... That is a lot of weight.
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-18-2004, 9:17 PM Reply   
ok so supposedly lyman has been through a few trannys which i could see happening w/ 5000+ pounds. but i have a question when you say, "if he sinks another boat he'll be kicked off the team" just how many has he sunk? haha and do you know if any other pro's have sunk their boat? w/ that much weight in it i bet it could happen very easy if you took a roller the wrong way
mike
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-18-2004, 9:52 PM Reply   
i could be wrong but i dont think these guys are stupid. He may have sank one boat. but come on, i doubt more than that. Also arent almost all of these guys on small lakes where there is rarely a large wake big enough to sink a boat? the delta is one thing but lakes are another. Ic ould be wrong but it seems suspicious to me
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-18-2004, 10:35 PM Reply   
Keith is a damn sick rider....... let him ride whatever, I was in the boat a year ago when he blew his knee, scary stuff, glad to see him up and running 100%!!!!!!!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-19-2004, 4:50 AM Reply   
I run about 1200lbs + the wedge. Its good to know these guys are putting around 5k in their boat. That way, when someone asks "why cant you do that?" I can just say, 'because I dont have 5000lbs of water in my boat'
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-19-2004, 6:29 AM Reply   
He's only sunk one boat that I know of.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-19-2004, 6:46 AM Reply   
Finally an interesting post...
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-19-2004, 6:53 AM Reply   
Steven, correct me if I am wrong but didnt Lyman sink he boat because of a rain storm and not weight? My understanding was that it was left with a friend on a lake and filled up with water? Just trying to clear up the rumors.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-19-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
You are absolutely right, but I think he had all his weight in the boat as well.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-20-2004, 6:21 AM Reply   
its pretty common here with our local riders to put near 3k of ballst in their boats with no problems..Most of the guys i ride with put no less then 2500 in sacks or lead and also take 4-6 riders on top of that..The few Vlx we ride on here put 1200 plus the 900 mls and also drop the wedge and add people ..thats a lot and the wakes are sick..planing isnt a big problem if you evenly place the weight or add more to the front..

5k id say is rediculous but possible..i know a guy who had a closed bow malibu sportstar(old 190hull) the 19ft with no wedge and put 3k in sacks in it for two years and the boat never had a tranny/engine problem and always planed..wake was up to my hip and peaky..water was sitting under the rub rail and when stopping we had to turn to keep it from coming over the back :-)

i was in the Gator Super air last year at a clinic when they let Randy Harris have a set and they filled the stock ballast and then added near 600lbs on each side of the engine and 800lbs more in the nose and we had 10 people on the boat ! The wake was insane but the boat did have a hard time planing and the PP was all over the place but it was worth it for the wake ;)
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-20-2004, 8:11 AM Reply   
I was pretty sure that guys loaded the sh*t out of there own boats. Who knows what the comp's let them ride with? Can they adjust it during the comp? How much can be added to the factory ballast system? I wonder this cause I see them pulling off alot of the same tricks in comps as during free ride scessions. Granted the moves are bigger free riding due to more weight.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-20-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
I answered that question at the top of this thread.
Old    downside_up            11-20-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
Lyman's boat sunk during one of the hurricanes. I'm friends with his roommate.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-20-2004, 8:43 AM Reply   
Solo;
I read that and that sounds like what I have heard before. You know how there is always someone with a diffrent story. I was told that that typicaly they were allowed 500lb over factory. X-Games was diffrent. I was just wondering if there is a said standard. I have a friend with a 12 year old who is one of the future stars in wakeboarding if he stays in love with it as he is now. This next year he is supposed to try to enter some amature comp's and I was just looking to try to get him use to what the tow boats will show him.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-20-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
I spent all summer in both the Pro Tour Boat with Travis Moye and in the Vans Triple Crown boat and have adjusted the weight with Travis. Travis will not over weight a boat if the wake is washing out.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-20-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
Is there a limit to what Travis was able to add? What I a looking for is I have access to all 4 of the boats towing in major comp's. My partners son is able to ride them all. Now I just want to weight them down in relation to the tow boats. moving the weight around to best fit him if that is a option he will have in comp's.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-20-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
Try e-mailing Travis directly, travis@theboardingschool.com he is really good about responding to e-mails.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-20-2004, 11:56 AM Reply   
who cares about how a boat is weighted in a comp, or how it's weighted when you free ride. F all that, just load it so it's good, probably about 1000 lbs more than factory, and let the kid have some fun. Future star BLAH BLAH BLAH, and he hasn't even competed yet?! he might hate competing, just let the kid ride! DAMN! I'm out.

Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-20-2004, 6:22 PM Reply   
What Thane said.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-20-2004, 6:23 PM Reply   
Absolutely...
Old     (liquid1)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-20-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
Hahn, is probably as accurate as your going to get. The X-star gets about 1500 lbs, in addition to the stock KGB ballast system. Once the boat is set up, the weight is not changed, or moved. No one is allowed to enter or exit the boat except prior to, or after a heat.
As for the Nautiques that pull nationals and worlds, i not sure what the exact weighting is, but, at nationals the boat pulled pro men, junior men, womens veterans etc.. with all the ballast full, and all the other classes with the ballast at least partially empty and put out a nice wake still.( take from that what you will, i can assure it was more than stock)
At worlds there were 3 different tow boats, a 226, and 2 different 210's. The pro men rode behind the 226 which once again had a large amount of weight,(im not going to venture a guess because i have no clue) There was also a heavily weighted 210 for pro women, veterans, etc, and then a stock weighted 210 for boys, girls, etc...
Oh yeah X-games was different in the X-star because of the bouyancy of the salt water, so add a couple hundred lbs to the 1500+
Geoff

(Message edited by liquid1 on November 20, 2004)
Old    parksboarder            11-22-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
Stick with the X-star, Mastercraft builds their boats like the boston whalers, You can cut them in half with a chain saw and they wont sink - seriously
X-stars are the way to go because its the only boat hull specificly designed for wakeboarding, The wake is a ramp/ not a wake I rode an X-star with stock balast and 4 people and it put me higher than a Wakesetter LSV with wedge, ballast, 1000 pounds of led, and 8 people
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-22-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
uh oh, he didn't just start that did he?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-22-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
yeah he did.

Kevin - were you riding your DNA core parks when you rode behind the Malibu, or was it just a regular biolite core? That could have made all the difference in the world.
Old    sliderfreak            11-22-2004, 11:15 AM Reply   
malinus rulex-stars. i remeber when i waz a kid and my dad was looking to buy a new boat i liked the mastercrafts cuz thats wut everybody was riding and then one flipped and killed 4 guys very near to us and the boat SUNK but malibus r betteri alwayz win
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-22-2004, 12:58 PM Reply   
Kevin, What did you mean when you said

"its the only boat hull specificly designed for wakeboarding"

Not that I'm anti-MasterCraft but there are a lot of boat manufacturers designing hulls specifically for wakeboarding.