Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (the_delaney)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-18-2008, 4:37 AM Reply   
Hey guys, Ive been looking around for some new bindings, and Ive found these, after some digging, turns out they are from the Kiteboarding scene, and the Wake version are called the Sphynx. Just wondering, does anyone know if there are actual any differences, that would mean you couldnt use either for both purposes, as I like the Escalade ones, but If they arnt suitable, I shall swerve them etc..

Thanks

Gaz
Old     (the_delaney)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-18-2008, 4:38 AM Reply   
Escalade ones:

http://www.liquidforcekites.com/binding-escalade.htm

Sphynx ones:

http://wakeworld.com/boots/getboot8.asp?ProductID=3669
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-18-2008, 5:31 AM Reply   
I ride Escalades. They are perfect for either wakeboarding or kiteboarding. They are identical.
Old     (the_delaney)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-18-2008, 6:34 AM Reply   
cheers, i couldnt actually tell ny difference, other than they had re-branded sphynx as escaldes as such for kiteboardin. thanks for ur help.

how do you find them, ive read plenty of reviews etc.... had an issues...
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-18-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
Nope, they are super comfy with lots of support. Best bindings I have owned. I have both the 06 and the 08 Escalades.
Old     (the_delaney)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-18-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
ive just notcied i think watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qSIOtFoeBk is that the only difference I can see is the base plate correct... seems to have extra screw holes on the outside edges, normal bindings has 3 either side, they seem to have 6... or am i just totally wrong...
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-18-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
I think the escalade will be slightly less rigid and obviously lack the additional toe pull strap option like the sphynx.
Old     (the_delaney)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-18-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
in ur opinion, major losses..? as im only really starting out, so rigidty doesnt really apply, as im not going to be kicking any super hardcore flips etc. and the lace thing, not think I could just change the laces to the double set up....?
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-18-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
I ran those for a year or so. Loved them after i relaced to a dual lace set up. They are not quite as rigid and seemed to fit a litte larger than regular Shanes so i had to cinch down pretty tight. Sadly i completely tore of the upper part of the boot from the base on a backroll. I attribute this to the fact of cinching down because i have a thin foot.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-18-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-18-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
The extra hole is because some kiteboards have narrower inserts.
Old     (the_delaney)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-18-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Gareth

The boots have the same cosmetic design however the function of the 2 bindings are different

The Escalade pro plates have a 6 ½ inch spread for an optional kite stance. The Escalades have a one hand lace system while the Sphynx have a dual lace design. The material on the toe piece is also different. The toe piece of the liner is Lycra so your foot can easily slide

Although it may appear the Escalade binding can be used for wake/kite, it is designed to be used for kiteboarding

Thanks,

MikeZimmerman

thats the email I just recieved direct from Liquid Force on the matter. Seems to me, its as you guys said, nothing major, and will ride the same. just change the laces back to the double etc and away you go!!
Old     (the_delaney)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-22-2008, 3:41 AM Reply   
so ive just ordered my new 08 Escalades, cant wait now, maybe, fingers crossed be able to get my whole new set up wet at the wknd... thanks for all your input to the people that replied, was much appreciated :-)
Old     (the_delaney)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-22-2008, 3:41 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-22-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
I have those, they are SICK!!
Old     (the_delaney)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-22-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
did you change your back to the Sphynx style double magnetic lace connection, or leave them as they are....?
Old     (the_delaney)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-22-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
change back your laces sorry, forgot that word haha
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-22-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
I used to have a pair. They were too small so I only rode them once then sold them, but the dual lace is a must. Otherwise, these bindings are sweet!