Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    bassboy8855            06-16-2003, 7:45 PM Reply   
I know the whole thing about the wake naturaly being smaller behind an outboard so is there anyway I can get it bigger?

I board behind a bass boat... ya, kinda funny... hint the screen name "bassboy". Well, its got a 150 hp Johnson on it. Do you think if we trim up the motor a litle it'll push the back down and increes the wake? And I know adding sandbags or water botles always helps, but the max capacity is 700 lbs, with 4 people in it would it be safe to add even more weight?

Thanks in advance with any help.
Old    wakeboarder17            06-16-2003, 8:26 PM Reply   
We have a Stratos also. But we have the 290 SF with a 200 Mercury. We found that if you keep the trim all the way down the wake is bigger and better. We tried filling our live wells and had 40 gallons of gas in the boat and it wouldn't plane very well. Hope some of this helps.
Old    bassboy8855            06-16-2003, 9:06 PM Reply   
wow, thanks alot man, I was thinking the exact opposite would work, but I guess not.

Well, Thanks, you saved my about 2 hours of messing with stuff for no reason.
Old    hacko_man            06-17-2003, 12:43 AM Reply   
i tend to disagree, we have an outboard runabout and we have found that if u trim the motor to about three quarters up the wake increases in size and gets a better shape. But the only real way to find out is to test it yourself and see how your wake shapes.
Old    bassboy8855            06-17-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
ok, thanks guys, guess its back to that 2 hour thing I mentiond...lol, shouldent take that long...
Old    wakeboarder17            06-17-2003, 8:09 PM Reply   
Todd- how big is your boat? The 1 that we have is over 20 ft. so it's really heavy.
Old    hacko_man            06-18-2003, 12:46 AM Reply   
Mike - Not saying u were wrong i was just pointing out what happens with our boat. Our boat is 17ft. With a 130hp outboard.
Dave - Mike and I have different sized hulls with probably a different shape aswell. The best thing to do would be to play with the trim yourself just to see what is the best size and shape. It shouldnt take 2 hours i would give it half an hour tops.
Todd
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2003, 7:52 PM Reply   
I have an old outboard. I put a tower on it, I put a stabilizer on the cavitation plate, I loaded it with a couple fat sacks and I played with the angle of the engine in the water. Check-out the picture in my profile. While good maybe for little guys, I could never really get the wake to where I wanted it to be. At the end of last season I bought a new Super Air, but I still have this ol' beauty in my driveway.
Old    bassboy8855            06-18-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
Woha... That boat is awesome... I don't dont realy know how to describe it any other way! LMAO You could have some sweet parties in that tub.
Old    shaggydan22            06-19-2003, 12:24 PM Reply   
i've ridden behind a 17' larson with a 90hp outboard for the past 4 years. 7' flyhigh pole, 700lbs of sandbags and one of those whale tale fins you can get out of overtons or ski limited. with a few people in the boat, we usually had to start with the engine trimmed down to get it planed out. after planning out, trimmed it as far up as we could without the prop breaking out of the water. learning how to drive good double and triple ups also works well for more air. my profile pic is me going off a triple up behind the larson.