Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       03-17-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
Which slingshot board would get the best pop? I talked to the SS rep and he said the responce would give you better pop even though its a cont rocker.. What do you guys think? Would this be true?
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-17-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
depends if you got the response in the largest size possible
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2008, 1:54 AM Reply   
I was also thinking of this. I demoed a 2007 142 Recoil and really liked it. Didn't have a chance to demo a Response. But watching the teamvid on slingshots webside I had the feeling, that Rhett Whatley was poping stronger on the Response then the rest on the Recoil. Yet this may be due to the vid or the rider. Still wondering.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-18-2008, 2:00 AM Reply   
the one that jeremy byrom rides.

Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-18-2008, 5:33 AM Reply   
I would be curious to demo a response as well and see the difference in the pop. I will say that the recoil has a lot of pop. Would seem odd for the continuous rocker response to pop more.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
nice one joe

I personally found i liked the recoil better... but i also demoed it more than the responce so i might have not given it a fair chance. one of my reviews in the past i stated that i couldn't tell a difference between the two (probably because i had only ridden each once with a week time gone by between each) and that i would go for a response simply because i liked the '07 graphics better.

I changed my mind when i was stuck with a larger size recoil (142, i normally don't ride bigger than 139) when i rented one for and behalf of a guy near me that i met through wakeworld. The larger board seemed to provide more potential pop... similar as you would get more power from a bigger rubber band.

I have also ridden a response in the larger size but did not find it to be as... uhh... "amazing!" (2nd and last response trial. ive ridden the recoil at least 8 times)

The reason joe points me out is because the guys in the boat REPORTEDa ridiculous amount of air [("""10-12 ft""")sorry, no pics] HOWEVER, other factors were at play, NAMELY, and extended pylon attached to the top of the tower, so the rope was already over ten feet in the air to begin with. secondly, i attribute the said "max air" to a "lucky pop" (maybe a little natural double up, or just happened to get everything perfect, or...whatever. I don't think i even landed that particualr jump either. i remember several airs were the pop scared me off balance, or maybe it was the "different feeling of pop" that scared me.)
I did ride another board the same day and didn't do nearly as well with it, and did not feel the same impressive pop (but it was my first ride on it vs. my second or so on the recoil)

take the story for what it is worth and with a grain of salt or more...:-)

MAIN POINT,
don't only consider the recoil vs the response.
consider also the next size up (but only if you are at a size/weight that you fit between the two sizes of consideration. (I would not advocate a 140 lb person to ride a 142 recoil for example)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-18-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
14 feet.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
many reps are recomending trying both rocker types even if you "think" you already know what type of rocker you like because FLEX IS JUST PLAIN DIFFERENT. the rocker shape is always changing depending on how you ride... consider this fact
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
looks like someone has upped me on air. good job tim

looks like someone else to tease joe
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-18-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
No jeremy....

That was a joke referring to another post a where I was saying that you got 14 feet not 12.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-18-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
I got the recoil just because I am use to 3-stage but it pops way more than my Ibex did,
I would say go with what you've been riding... and you can ride them larger than normal because they're sooooo light
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-18-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
I didn't ride the recoil, I just flat out bought the Response but I think that the board has great pop. It gives you a boot that would match any board that I have been on. You can actually feel the board snap back to the original shape when you hit the wake, it's pretty cool. I decided on the response because some stated that it was faster, not because of the rocker pattern. I thought that I would never like continuous rocker boards until I tried my last deck, the Marius (great board as well). I also picked the response cause I was told it was looser but I think that most that have rode the Recoil are doing so with the 1 inch fins and the Response comes with the .75 so that may be the cause. Like I said, never rode the recoil but pop is still killer on the response. Oh and as for the vid comment above, Rhett Whatley just goes huge on everything. Everyone in my boat that rode the board liked it, especially the pop, everyone thought it was fast and no one had a hard time getting used to the pop on the board. I will admit that one person had a hard time not slipping out on landings cause the board was too loose for him. I could see where the board may not be for people who don't have a solid edge yet, but maybe with the 1 inch fins it is not as much of a problem. As for those that have a problem not getting the board to pop, you simply are not holding an edge all the way through the wake.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-18-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
Why should you go a size up? I just got a Recoil 139 and I'm 5' 11" 180, the recommended weight range was 140-225?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-18-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
You don't have too but, a bigger size gives more surface area = more pop
at the same or less weight than a smaller board before...The last few years i've been on 134's or 132's and when I got my SS i went with 142 because it had the surface area but the weight was still less than the lightest 132 I've ever had
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       03-18-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
Thats awsome info guys!!!! I like the graphix in the responce way better then the Recoil.. but Im a big guy at 6' tall and 245lbs.. All I want is to get MORE POP so I can do inverts better.. Plus I was needing a lighter board so the swing weight isnt giving me a hard time.. I think that im sold on the SS boards for sure.. Now I just have to decide on which one.. And that sucks.. We cant demo these things on Table Rock Lake.. No one carries them..
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-18-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
The best way to get demos in your location is to bug the hell out of your local dealer.

We are working harder then ever to get dealers around the country on the program but consumer demand is what feeds the dealer and helps us get our product to YOU.

For all those riders on Slingshot.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Slingshot
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       03-18-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
Then call up Southpaw Watersports in Kimberling City Mo. They said they tried to work with you guys at once, but they said they had a hard time with your rep. If you could.. Try them! Then maybe I could get some demo time in.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
Tim-
I know you were joking and refering to the last thread (ohh, and by the way, thanx for finally admitting you were joking :-) you kinda set yourself up for that one and i took my chance on it to have some fun in return)

steve-
as nick said, you don't "HAVE TO" go a size up, but it is something to consider(flex is a whole new ball-...I mean wake-game), especially if boards are available for demo. if demos are not available then this might be another situation where i might not suggest going a size up (maybe too much to "gamble"), AND again, ONLY consider it if you are close to/ share the stats for the larger board.

(Message edited by wakerider111 on March 18, 2008)
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-18-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
I have been riding the 2007 145 Response for the past month. For the past four years I have ridden 3-stage rockers usually on a 142 board.

I have only ridden behind cable and winch, but i have really enjoyed it.

The board has yet to show ay thing than minor skuffs from all the abuse on rails, shore starts, jibs and everything else.
It is very light weight and offers alot of ollie pop and great ride and slide for rails and boxes.

I highly recomend the board to other cable riders.

Danny T.
www.OkcBoardShop.com
www.WakeboardOklahoma.com
Old     (kennwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-19-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
I have ridden both.

The Response was better for me because i can pop the ish out of it, its the fastest board ive ever ridden, and i like the round tips and tails better than square.

Not that i couldnt pop the recoil, it actually had just as much pop if not more than the response. Its just the recoil drags a little more in the water making it easier to load like a 3 stage. I came off of an 08 Marius 141 so i was more comfortable on a board with lower drag and a more continuous pop.
Old     (kennwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-19-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
Personally, I think that the board makes up about 25% of your pop anyways, you do the other 75% yourself with line tension, wake size/shape, and correct fundamentals.

This stuff is all personal preference anyways. There is no good and bad.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
according to todays poll, there is over 1/2 the population who has yet to try a flex board. Still many more potential "converts" yet to come ;)