Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (dough_boy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-20-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
1. How many feet behind the house boat do you tow your wakeboat?

2. If you are towing wave runners also how would you set it up?

Pics if you got em please. Thanks
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-20-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
Far enough back that when you stop they are still a safe distance back, 25'-ish or more. When pulling multiples we tie off the ropes across the width of the houseboat and stagger the lengths. That way you avoid the rope burn of one rope over the top of a vessel and they don't bang together. I've seen multiples where they tie a boat behind a boat...never tried that. I would do that if I were pulling 2 'runners and a boat.

Also, don't play WWII battleship complete with evasive moves and balloon launchers when towing.....Enough damage can be done doing this without towing.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
A couple of good threads for you to read:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/184899.html

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-221254.html

Personally, we don't bother to tow the boats. PWCs, maybe, but not the wake boats. Read too many horror stories about people that have done it & swamped the boat. And we always have plenty of boat drivers so we just drive them all.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-20-2009, 6:49 PM Reply   
25' only when the water is flat and it's not windy. The rope should have a quick disconnect clip on the bow and be simply lashed to the houseboat in such a manner that it is easily released.

When we get where we want to be we untie the boat in tow (set it free), kill the houseboat motor momentarily, dive in and swim back to the free floating boat, then finalize the anchorage with the wakeboard boat well clear of the houseboat.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-20-2009, 8:03 PM Reply   
No ballast, 50'+ rope, and someone keeps an eye on it at all times. We've towed my VLX thru maybe 3' chop (busy weekend on a big lake) with no problems. Big houseboats usually have another way to haul jetskis - davit to the roof or bunks on the back deck. If not, I would tie them 25'+ behind the wakeboat.
Old     (dough_boy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help. Anyone else have opinions?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-21-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
Like this... LOL!!

Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-21-2009, 3:58 PM Reply   
BC had 2k of lead in it and it worked fine. We just moved it to the back.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-21-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
Oh, and we usually ride the jetski when we've got one, though the ski got traded in for the Donzi (not sure if there'll be another any time soon). There is always someone that's down to take it for a ride. It's good for scouting houseboat spots, too.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-21-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
haha I love that shot.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-21-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
dang evan looking at that pic makes we wish we there right now. that shasta trip rocked!!!! heres another shot of the money train....

Upload
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
25 feet is cutting it close. It's amazing how fast the towed boat comes up on you when you slow down.
I usually run about 50-60 feet back, which gives a safe distance, and it is usually a little smoother water back out of the propwash.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-21-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
That is a sick picture of the $$$ Train. Nice guys.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-21-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
Back in 03 we did a Shasta trip and had 2 wakesetters followed by a sit down jet ski. It sure looked funny going traveling down the lake...though the pictures above win hands down!
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-21-2009, 11:58 PM Reply   
loving the $hot
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-22-2009, 7:05 AM Reply   
We always ran rope through two pieces of PVC with quick connects on each end. We connected them to the port and starboard side of the house boat and ran them to the front eye of the boat. THis kept it from coming forward. Never had any problems with it.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-22-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
Great idea Paul.

Bry- Me too, brotha. I'm down for a HB trip this summer. You want to jump on the planning?? I know there are some great deals. Pedro would be great. Shasta would be awesome again, too.